Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 09:07   #31

Re: Offshore Sailing a Beneteau Blue 2

Thanks for both of the responses.
I have my eye on an advert for one that's about a 4 hour drive from me, but I haven't been aboard her yet. She has had some recent updating- freshly rebuilt 18hp Yanmars, fuel tanks, wiring. What little information I can find on these boats, it seems she'd make a fine, nimble coastal cruiser, but be a bit marginal for any kind of long range passage making or extended cruising.
all-wet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 14:31   #32

I don't disagree that head and galley are small, but is only a 35' boat. The 'modular' construction keeps everything in the hulls fairly narrow, but usable. We removed all of the interior upholstery and shot with gel coat, removed the circular settee and put in a full width mesh bag for life jackets etc. our mods have been more toward camper than live-aboard.
Our boat has been as far as Japan from Guam, about 2000 miles of open ocean, but I wouldn't want to do that without a very favorable weather window. We now use Vida Loca for island hopping in the Marianas where we are usually a 1-2 day sail from safe anchorage. I probably would not choose a Blue 2 for extended global cruising, but for what we do she has been excellent and was very affordable. I have not seen any cat that I would exchange for anywhere near the price range.
Not sure how the cockpit could be considered small...
tomonguam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 23:31   #33

The hulls are narrow, just like you say but there are 30 ft cats that are roomier than this boat. Performance comes at a price where volume needs to be cut.
Still a good saloon!

I still think it´s a good boat! The boat I was looking at was priced at 30k Euro but needed some work, like:
New trampolines
New Headliners
Bimini (there wasn't any)
New topside paint
A lot of rusty bolts/backingplates holding up the davits etc.
New Upholstery

More upgrades to make it ready for oceans:
Solar panels
Batteries
Fridge (Out of function)
windlass (still I had no idea where to put one)
Anchor chain
....and many more

some pics from the boat I checked out...

andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 17:07   #34

Bumping an old thread back up, with a question.

Any Blue II owners ever ship their boats? I know one of the selling points of this boat was that it could be disassembled into three main parts and it would then fit into a standard 40ft shipping container.

Was this something that was only done by the factory for original delivery? Anyone look into doing it to transport a boat? Cost prohibitive? Planning a move soon, where I can sail again, and I was wondering if this would be a feasible option if I found a Blue II that I liked.
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 14:28   #35

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Whilst this thread has been bumped. Is there standing headroom in the saloon in the Blue 2?
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 14:56   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Whilst this thread has been bumped. Is there standing headroom in the saloon in the Blue 2?
From what I've read there's a little over six feet of headroom in the salon. 1.9m is a number I've seen tossed about, which converts to 6'2".

I requested an original copy of the review done by Cruising World in '87, if I get it and it says I'll let you know.
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 14:40   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
If you are still interested ,,, Safari Blue has an added saloon top which gives extra standing room , and is currently for sale
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 02:18   #38

Boat: Murena 30 1/2 tonner, Colvic Victor 41, Beneteau Blue 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
If you are still interested ,,, Safari Blue has an added saloon top which gives extra standing room , and is currently for sale
Not any more she isn't
I purchased Safari Blue last weekend. Currently sorting some electrical issues and the fridge, but the added saloon top is a useful addition.

Regards

Dwayne
Dwayne Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 07:20   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Lister View Post
Not any more she isn't
I purchased Safari Blue last weekend. Currently sorting some electrical issues and the fridge, but the added saloon top is a useful addition.

Regards

Dwayne
Excellent !!!!! I viewed her myself month or so ago , I was well impressed tho decided on an other one which cost fair bit more but does not need any work done. ,, some useful mods on the SB , as mentioned , the top extension , also the into hull openings being enlarged , the cat walk out the front and also I believe the hulls / centre pod are bond together , I hope you enjoy that boat ( had e very nice few hours looking over the boat with John and his good lady , v nice couple , he will be off now to the VI to get his new boat ,,,,,, keep in touch , we may well be of some help to each other , ( Che ) Rod .
Old 30-06-2017, 13:12   #40

Hi Dwayne , have you been out yet , I have done a few hundred miles now in varying conditions , flat calm , wind seas on he nose and , broad and big down wind , this boat is excellent, will motor into more than I would expect , ( just got the orig 2 X 8 hp!! ) will handle under engines in tight places lncredibly well , and will sail as good as I know how to , very responsive and will turn well , but does tend to blow off easy and got to keep on her all the time , was surfing for about 6 hours other day , 14 was best I could see but felt more at other times but I could not check ,( log notvworking just Navionics on I pad , not easy to look when surfing at 14 ) but so so twitchy , really had to be on it. Great until I had to drop sails and main would not come down !! Focusing moment for about 5 minutes !!!! Did around 120 m in 12 hrs .comfortable inside ,, nowvsat in Cruxhaven and it has been raining all day , not let up once , gonna be here for few days I think waiting for non gale force conditions !!! Oh , the Baltic is beautiful .
Old 30-06-2017, 16:36   #41

Too much wind (25kn +) last weekend together with seized sheet winches means no sailing for me - that and the other half is somewhat timid

Good to hear you are enjoying the sail back.

For what it is worth, I have good (if distant) memories of Borkum and Terschelling along the Fresian coast, but obviously make up your own mind.
The sand banks around there can be 'interesting' but the draft should help a lot.

Today I have been stripping and servicing winches and hope to move the 40 or so miles home next weekend.

Fair wind and calm seas

Dwayne
Old 23-08-2017, 10:02   #42

Boat: Beneteau Blue II - catamaran 35'

Off shore is my plan also for my Blue 2 recently bought in Spain and now upgrading. Let us keep contact on this. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHETHER THE HULL IS SANDWICH CORE OR JUST FIBERGLASS. I plan to put in a in hull vs thru hull transducer shortly if it is only fiberglass. Note I am in Canada and t he boat is in Spain.
Blue2cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 12:22   #43

My understanding is that it is foam core.
Unfortunately the original brochure doesn't actually say.

Regards

Dwayne
Old 23-08-2017, 13:24   #44

Hi blue 2 , I am also a recent owner but can't help you either . ( I just know that it can take a good pounding !! )
Old 04-07-2019, 08:37   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2cat View Post
Off shore is my plan also for my Blue 2 recently bought in Spain and now upgrading. Let us keep contact on this. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHETHER THE HULL IS SANDWICH CORE OR JUST FIBERGLASS. I plan to put in a in hull vs thru hull transducer shortly if it is only fiberglass. Note I am in Canada and t he boat is in Spain.
dont know if you are still interested and prob have found out for your yurself by now if you are ,, but it is solid below the water and core above.

Tags
beneteau