Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2016, 12:34   #1

Boat: 46' F&P Cat
Recommend rigger in Med before Atlantic crossing?

We are planning on crossing the Atlantic at the end of this year in our F&P 42" cat and would like to replace all the standing rigging before this. We are currently in Croatia and about to start working our way West.
Does anyone have some recommended riggers who can supply good quality at a fair price?
Thank you
KaveingaMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 22:50   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran
Re: Recommend rigger in Med before Atlantic crossing?

I am looking for one too. I have heard Malta is a possibility and there are reportedly a couple in Italy, one near Genoa. Last year rerigiing was being done in Marina di Ragusa by an external contractor. If you are near Split, check with North Sails. They may have some suggestions.

How much do you expect spend? I am expecting it may exceed 10k unfortunately for 12m cat though I am still gasping at this figure.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 22:55   #3

Boat: Couch Potato

If in Croatia you might try Aspar Rigging.

http://www.aspar-rigging.hr/indexEng.html

A buddy od mine replaced his there and he seems satisfied.

Sent from my Lenovo P70-A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 18-07-2016, 03:00   #4

Thank you Lohi. We are next to Dubrovnik and Aspar are right up north darn.

Hi Ostinato, I estimated NZD 10,000. We were quoted EUR 4,500 for all new staining rigging; side stays, forestay, 3 diamond stays and seagull striker stay, assuming rigging rigging turnbuckles could be reused by Luca Poggiali in La Spezia Italy after being recommended them by friends who use them but unfortunately they were too busy at the start of the season and now it is a long way back there. Happy to pass their details if you are close to them.

The current plan is we are about to head through the Greek Ionian Is, before running past Sicily, South of Sardinia, Balearics, South Spain and out to Canary Is before jumping the puddle. But I am not sure if we can find any competent riggers on this route. Does anyone have any recommendations around these areas?

Thank you!
Old 18-07-2016, 09:02   #5

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

Piraeus Thessaloniki Greece Papaioannou Thanasis great sails great rigger great prices I buy from this guy past 30 + years great quality and service Tell him from Manos Ioannidis and you will get 15% discount
PM me for contact numbers
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 10:17   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I would trust a French or German rigger, but forget about the rest.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 10:26   #7

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

In the Spanish side of Gibraltar, Look no further than GatewayNautica - under construction a good friend, and excellent guy. Great place to stock up and prepare, he might even lend you his spare car for shopping.
Old 18-07-2016, 11:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos1955 View Post
Piraeus Thessaloniki Greece Papaioannou Thanasis great sails great rigger great prices I buy from this guy past 30 + years great quality and service Tell him from Manos Ioannidis and you will get 15% discount
PM me for contact numbers
Thanks Manos, PM sent
Old 18-07-2016, 12:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
In the Spanish side of Gibraltar, Look no further than GatewayNautica - under construction a good friend, and excellent guy. Great place to stock up and prepare, he might even lend you his spare car for shopping.
Thank you SY Gilana.
A skim of your blog and well engineered boat gives me some confidence in your referral!
Old 18-07-2016, 12:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I would trust a French or German rigger, but forget about the rest.
any german riggers in the med?
dberdou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 19:23   #11

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostinato View Post
I am looking for one too. I have heard Malta is a possibility and there are reportedly a couple in Italy, one near Genoa. Last year rerigiing was being done in Marina di Ragusa by an external contractor. If you are near Split, check with North Sails. They may have some suggestions.

How much do you expect spend? I am expecting it may exceed 10k unfortunately for 12m cat though I am still gasping at this figure.
In Malta ask for Ricky (the best rigger on the island), In Marina di Ragusa avoid Sonicasails with a boss called Albatros (sic!). Ask me how I know.
El
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 23:14   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic26 View Post
In Malta ask for Ricky (the best rigger on the island), In Marina di Ragusa avoid Sonicasails with a boss called Albatros (sic!). Ask me how I know.
El
Hi nic26
We are unlikely to make it to Malta on this trip unfortunately.
Old 18-07-2016, 23:23   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran

Malta is only 50 south of southern Sicily if that is the side your passing on.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 05:22   #14

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Monfalcone
Fano (multinautic)
Senigallia (adriasail)
Bari-monopoli: Mr. Semeraro, banks sails
Catania: franco Catania cantiere
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 10:00   #15

rigger! if near trogir, croatia contact Karlos at "one sail" for a recommendation. he is one of the best sail-makers around and should know. i used the rigger in ACI marina, split and will not use him again. I forgot his name.

however, the best rigger I've used is in pescara, italy. his name is Alessandro Mene and is the most honest and competent rigger i have met in many years.

he is both rigger and chandelry

his prices are reasonable but his work is top notch. he will never lead you astray and will always tell you what you truly need. over the past 2 years i have had a great deal of work, repairs and upgrades made to my beneteau 50 and most of the parts and work were done by Alessandro.

best to email him ahead of time and tell him you are on a schedule. mention i recommended him.

marina pescara berthing prices are much less than croatia and everyone there is friendly and make you feel like family. the harbor master will assist you with check in and customs. the police, guardia di financia et al are extremely cooperative.

everyone knows me so do not hesitate to mention my name - Captain Ron, the American.

do not have your yacht hauled in danimar ship yard there in pescara. sail south to ortona and get hauled there if needed. prices and work are much better thank danimar. all the fishing vessels go to ortona.

from there you can sail south along the coast to tremiti islands, italy and head across to Corfu or sail even further south to Bari and do the same.

i am currently in Corfu, greece at marina gouvia. there are some good sail-makers and riggers here but i still think Alessandro is your best for what you want done.

incidentally, while the work is being done, go visit the Abruzzo region of Italy. the mountains are close by and there are many old cities, cathedrals and lakes to visit and enjoy. Abruzzo region is little known but holds a lot of history and culture. local wines are very good as is the home made olive oils and more.

take the bus up to the city of Penne. it is beautiful! head up to Sulmona.

if you need anything else, contact me by pm

good luck

captain ron

Alessandro Mene
L'atroporta
Porto Turistico, marina di pescara

+39 320 644 0780 cell
+39 085 69 02 34 work

PS - Ostinato - although you are in Dubrovnik, it is still worth the trip to pescara to have allesandro do whatever you need done.
CAPTAINRONBVI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing, men