Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2016, 18:03   #1

passage from Dominican Republic to Bermuda

i will cross the Atlantic from Caribbean to Europe via Bermuda and Azores. first i am planning to go Dominican Republic. if i begin in the begining of may, will the passage from Dominican Republic to Bermuda be too difficult?

regards
Ulas
urisvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 19:16   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: passage from Dominican Republic to Bermuda

God only knows. And that's only if you are religious.

Otherwise this is done just mind you skills and your boat's size and level of preparation.

Ban bad luck or poor preparation this is perfectly doable.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 19:35   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by urisvan View Post
i will cross the Atlantic from Caribbean to Europe via Bermuda and Azores. first i am planning to go Dominican Republic. if i begin in the begining of may, will the passage from Dominican Republic to Bermuda be too difficult?

regards
Ulas
Yes, nearly everyone killed on that passage leaves too early.

Beginning of May is too early.

Why risk when you can wait for the real weather window of mid-late May and early June.

That's when I am going.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 23:25   #4

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Ive done essentially that same passage a few times late April to early May. I was going to say that it was important to have good onboard weather info for it, but then i remembered I managed to find a gale anyway. Bottom line is that you and the boat should be prepared for what you might face. If you're headed transatlantic this even more true. Weather forecasts can be pretty good for a few days out, but not a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 04:53   #5

thank you for the replies,
what i think is, if i dont go to Dominican Republic and start from Antigua, i guess the wind will be in a more favaroble direction. but if i start from Dominican Republic, it will be a beating against the wind.
But "accomplice" told that he found a gale. is it likely to find any gales in may in that area? and which direction do they come from?
Regards
Ulas
Old 18-12-2016, 05:32   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: passage from Dominican Republic to Bermuda

I've done crossings from Feb through to mid June from the Caribe to the Azores with no real weather problems.. (gales and sea's..) however this year saw head winds (E) all the way across but never more than 20kts.. more often 10-15 and less.
The only crossing I've done from the latitude of Bermuda (sailed from Beaufort/Morehead) saw my worst crossing with a series of N'ly gales all the way.. the last being for 6days and up to 60+kt winds just W of Flores.. and that was mid May through June.. gear failure (steering) and gales resulted in a 40day passage to the Azores.
If you leave from the DR for Bermuda you'll be pushed W and N by the Stream so I'd personally just go with the flow using the boost from the current to compensate for time lost by the drift.. correcting as you close.
If jumping of from Antigua wait for the wind to go ESE.. which it does for a few days/weeks at a time.. same thing (drift W) applies with the Stream but it will give you a straighter line to Bermuda once you've crossed.
Personally I prefer St Martin as a jump off but there you go.
Have a safe Transat..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 07:04   #7

thank you boatman61,

maybe it is better to wait ESE wind to start if i start from DR as well. isnt it?
Old 18-12-2016, 11:40   #8

Boat: Custom 70’ pilot house

Just out of curiosity, why DR?
You can start from the VI's or Puerto Rico. Stocking up there is great and it's a great sail up to Bermuda.
Just done my 10th crossing last June. I always leave for Bermuda end of May so I can leave for the Azores 1st-2nd week of June.
Always had great crossings.
Don't forget to stop at the beautiful island of Flores when you reach the Azores!
Fair winds.
Atraxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 02:45   #9

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

I think terms for gale/storm are being used too freely here. A gale should be of no concern to any atlantic cruiser, unless in winter on your nose...

More, Admiralty charts provide all necessary info about practice, timing and prevailing conditions..that which adds to the Forum knowledge :-)

On the Beaufort Wind Scale, a gale is classified as: 7: Moderate Gale (32–38 miles per hour), 8: Fresh Gale (39-46 mph), 9: Strong Gale (47-54 mph) and 10: Storm/Whole Gale (55-63 mph). A gale is a type of Wind Description preceded by 0: Calm, 1: Light Air, 2: Light Breeze, 3: Gentle Breeze, 4: Moderate Breeze, 5: Fresh Breeze, 6: Strong Breeze and succeeded by 11: Violent Storm and 12: Hurricane on a Beaufort Wind Scale."

And yes, i conceed that gale is used quite extensively even in the B.scale :-)
That which makes sense too, on tall ships at least:

Breeze: a thermal gradient
Gale: reefing needed
Storm: no sails needed
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 04:18   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thunderbird.. seeing as there were around 50 of us boats riding out that too freely used term 'Gale' back in '05.. maybe you should remember how many boats have gone down over the years closing on the Azores.. if I remember correctly even a 70ftr.. and 3 others disappeared without trace about 2/3 years back.
Mind.. it resulted in some wild partying when we finally got into Horta.. so not all bad.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 19-12-2016, 06:51   #11

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
i will cross the Atlantic from Caribbean to Europe via Bermuda and Azores. first i am planning to go Dominican Republic. if i begin in the begining of may, will the passage from Dominican Republic to Bermuda be too difficult? regards Ulas
The most logical explanation concerning mysterious disappearances in the Bermuda triangle, is a submarine earthquake, at the bottom of the ocean, releasing cubic kilometers of methane gas... When the "bubble" reaches the surface, if your sailboat happens to cross its path, down you go for methane has not enough density to keep you afloat. If you're flying over it, when the "bubble" reaches your wings, down you go also for the same reason Good luck & don't forget to pray your god who doesn't exist & therefore doesn't give a sh...t ! Cheers !
Could Gas Explosions Explain Bermuda Triangle Mystery?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2792.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	138231  
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 07:16   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
The most logical explanation concerning mysterious disappearances in the Bermuda triangle, is a submarine earthquake, at the bottom of the ocean, releasing cubic kilometers of methane gas... When the "bubble" reaches the surface, if your sailboat happens to cross its path, down you go for methane has not enough density to keep you afloat. If you're flying over it, when the "bubble" reaches your wings, down you go also for the same reason Good luck & don't forget to pray your god who doesn't exist & therefore doesn't give a sh...t ! Cheers !
Could Gas Explosions Explain Bermuda Triangle Mystery?
Interesting but nowhere near the Azores/mid Atlantic.. I think the 70ftr and other 3 boats were the year before.. at least 10 sailors lost..

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-145794.html

Old 19-12-2016, 07:20   #13

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atraxia View Post
Just out of curiosity, why DR?
You can start from the VI's or Puerto Rico. Stocking up there is great and it's a great sail up to Bermuda.
Just done my 10th crossing last June. I always leave for Bermuda end of May so I can leave for the Azores 1st-2nd week of June....
I second that. Leaving from BVIs or PR will give you a straight line but be prepared for the calms around 25 north. When I did it motored for 2 full days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atraxia View Post
...Don't forget to stop at the beautiful island of Flores when you reach the Azores!
Fair winds.
And Santa Maria on the south.... very nice people and the sunniest isle.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 11:19   #14

thank you guys,
i cant go PR because i havent sort out my US visa and i can not do it here, so if i leave leeward islands i will go DR.

So at the end, i guess we can say that there is no strait course from DR to Bermuda, Or there is?
Old 21-12-2016, 11:58   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
thank you guys,
i cant go PR because i havent sort out my US visa and i can not do it here, so if i leave leeward islands i will go DR.

So at the end, i guess we can say that there is no strait course from DR to Bermuda, Or there is?
There is at leas one. My MaxSea found it. See the attached image.

My clients sailed last year from DR to the EU (no stopover at Bermuda) and this year my other clients sailed from Florida to Bermuda and back.

There is quite some percentage of NE'lies around Bermuda and the horse latitudes somewhere between the DR and Bermuda, so you may be either likely or unlikely to sail a straight course. Likely unlikely, given the distance though.

If on your departure the wx allows you to pocket some Easting, keep the change - you may need it later towards the landfall.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda, Dominica, Dominican Republic, passage