Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2016, 20:50   #1

Inner forestay mast hardware?

I have all of the deck hardware but I need to buy the HOUNDS (Dont know where that term came from?). Where the forestay and runners attach to the mast. I am looking for one that has the exit/entrance block for an INTERNAL halyard. I tried the Rig-Rite web site with no luck also the Rigging-Only which had something almost what I want, but I am still looking. Any ideas? I also ran it past the Tartan 34C group and again close but not with the internal halyard block. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a one piece unit? ______Grant
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 08:11   #2

Boat: no boat any more
Re: Inner forestay mast hardware???

KIT ETAI LARGABLE - ACMO
Vente Ferrure étai largable - Étai largable - Gréement - Uship accastillage
https://i38.servimg.com/u/f38/19/13/87/55/20150215.jpg
& nothing wrong with having 1 xternal halyard btw
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 08:35   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I'm thinking that the hardware for the forestay, & the runners will be 2 seperate bits. And that the sheave box will be another piece entirely. Which, they kind of have to be, as there needs to be vertical seperation between the sheave & the stay. As well as that a forestay is led to a single point on the front of the mast, whereas runners are led to the mast's sides, where it's widest. So that all of them can only be led to the same tang bolt if you use additional pieces to connect things. Is it possible, yes, but not without some juggling & extra fittings. And you really want to spread those kind of loads out over more of the tube, as hanging them all on one bolt leads to some significant point loading which can be bad for the health of all of them/everything.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 09:44   #4

doubleu, I could only get the one picture on that site, so it didnt help much on the hardware. Uncivilized, My thinking on the all in one piece is that there will be fewer number of rivets/screws than in three separate fittings and that having the runners directly connected to the headstay fitting will allow a direct pull on the forestay, rather than a pull on the through mast bolt and through the mast and then the fasteners holding the forestay hardware. I just relocated the photo of what I will probably use on <riggingandhardware.com>. It would require a separate halyard box for an internal halyard, but I like it better than 3 pieces. It comes with the halyard block fitting just an inch or so below the forestay point. The reason I want an internal halyard (my others are not internal) is that the staysail halyard will be the only one that I run to the cockpit and I will also rig a downhaul for the staysail that will go to the cockpit. It will be a little neater that way. I am not an engineer, but I believe I am correct about the direct line of tension from the runner to the forestay is gives less stress on all of the fasteners. If I am wrong please let me know. _____Grant.
Old 16-12-2016, 10:04   #5

Re: Inner forestay mast hardware?

http://www.seldenmast.com/files/1426.../595-054-E.pdf
Old 16-12-2016, 10:12   #6

Inner Forestay Mast Tang
Old 16-12-2016, 10:35   #7

Old 16-12-2016, 10:57   #8

Boat: Allures 44

Somewhat off topic, but I would strongly recommend you look at rope inner forestay option, for example Dynice dux. Same for runners. If you go this route you might want a different type of fitting/s. Suggest look at Colligomarine fittings.
savagebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 12:50   #9

double u, thanks those are good sites. Savagebee, yes, I will use a high tech synthetic for the runners but I already have 1by19 for the stay and an ABI release lever so I am in pretty good shape that way. The hardware that I will probably use is on the< riggingandhardware.com> under inner forestay. I think the website is part of Rigging-only, but I cant locate it on Rigging only. I dont know how to post a link or photo, so I cant be of much help that way. I may just go with an external halyard. There are a few more sources I am going to try, but I can see it will all work out OK. Thanks. ____Grant.
Old 16-12-2016, 14:26   #10

http://hackingfamily.com/images/Mast...shings3_CM.jpg
Old 16-12-2016, 14:27   #11

easy does it though:
Old 16-12-2016, 16:28   #12

Interesting photos. I will try to get my granddaughter to help me post a photo of what I think I will use. That Selden web site has lots of very good info on all things rigging. I think I will be ordering hardware by next week. A Christmas present to myself. ______Grant.
Old 16-12-2016, 17:57   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
easy does it though:
Isn't this photo a picture of a torn chainplate on a 60'er from Snowpetrel's blog? If so it's perhaps a bit out of context for this thread.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 16-12-2016, 18:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
doubleu, I could only get the one picture on that site, so it didnt help much on the hardware. Uncivilized, My thinking on the all in one piece is that there will be fewer number of rivets/screws than in three separate fittings and that having the runners directly connected to the headstay fitting will allow a direct pull on the forestay, rather than a pull on the through mast bolt and through the mast and then the fasteners holding the forestay hardware. I just relocated the photo of what I will probably use on <riggingandhardware.com>. It would require a separate halyard box for an internal halyard, but I like it better than 3 pieces. It comes with the halyard block fitting just an inch or so below the forestay point. The reason I want an internal halyard (my others are not internal) is that the staysail halyard will be the only one that I run to the cockpit and I will also rig a downhaul for the staysail that will go to the cockpit. It will be a little neater that way. I am not an engineer, but I believe I am correct about the direct line of tension from the runner to the forestay is gives less stress on all of the fasteners. If I am wrong please let me know. _____Grant.
I suppose that in theory you'll have the runners directly opposing the forestay by mounting them all on the same bolt. Though if you're genuinely concerned about the mast tube taking the loads of the two, seperately, then you've got much bigger problems. And whether they're all on the same bolt or not, the runners should probably have a compression tube, & doubler plates for their tang bolt.
There are a lot of different ways of mounting things. Each with it's pro's & con's.

BTW the links in your posts in this thread to Rigging Only aren't working. Have you tried copying the address to the page you want there, from your browser, & then putting it into your posts here? Seems to work for me.

NOTE: T-ball fittings like the one in double_u's post are notorious for self destructing without warning, & being much less durable than other types of attachments. Along with many having quite abridged lifespans. A lot of racing rigs have been subject to gravity storms thanks to them.

Old 17-12-2016, 00:36   #15

doesn't matter that the destructed tang/lug is on the other end of a stay (i.e. on deck), it shows what can happen if fatigued/underdimensioned.
th T-ball wouldn't be my favourite either - that'd be the welded tangs (gotta have to pull the mast though) - but we went rtw with T-terminal (less articulation than the T-ball) upper shroud-ends without a prob, & that was on a Wharram where the leeside rigging went slaaack (beyond monohullers imagination!)
regarding relative vertical position of inner forestay & runner:
here pdfview : Seldén Mast AB selde has the runners 30-50cm above the stay
(somewhere they give it in % but I can't find it)

Tags
hardware, mast