Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Will I find a boat that needs me?
Yeah man, do it. 3 100.00%
Save your money, your own boat needs a new bottom. 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2016, 11:17   #1

Can I find crew positions at the docks in Las Palmas?

Longing out on the ocean after six years of med school I am considering to go and try my luck at the docks in Las Palmas, Gran Canaria.

I am hoping to find an unpaid crew position on a sailing vessel, headed for somewhere in the Caribbean. My options fo doing this are March (best) or mid January (harder).

I have a few thousand nautical miles experience sailing, some high level racing, some 600 nm off shore. I am able to practice basal emergency medicine. Licensed for VHF. Good at fixing stuff mechanical. Clean, good cook, sociable.

Is it feasible to go to Las Palmas and hope to find a position?
earbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 05:08   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Can I find crew positions at the docks in Las Palmas?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, earbuilder.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 05:14   #3

... I would say zero chance in March in Las Palmas, even January might be difficult (too late) but at least a few 'private boats' might be still going.

Good luck!

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 11:46   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Well. The rally leaves tomorrow and if you are not here then you are just missing your chance. Next try November 2017.

Off course you can find a place on a boat. But you must be where the boat is, present yourself to the skippers, bring something to the table ... It IS a major self marketing effort. Unless you are a young and attractive female, you are disadvantaged from the very start.

There are say 200 boats, maybe 20 of them want extra crew. There are normally dozens of vagabundos and 'sailors' (and way fewer sailors) trying to hitch a ride. Still, this is easier than graduating from MIT and hitching a job at Tesla.

Mind this year the ARC started their own crewing business so it will be more difficult, unless you register on their website.

Take care,

b.
Las Palmas
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 00:00   #5

Is there some other port that would be better in january or march?

Quote:
I would say zero chance in March or even January
I am of course aware that I have missed the ARC. But, I was hoping that there would still be other boats leaving for a crossing as long as the hurricane season has not started. Oh well, thanks!
earbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 01:56   #6

... I would not 'walk the docks' in Las Palmas in January or March.

Try to get a berth through findacrew.net, crew seekers.net or crewbay.com upfront.

In January there might be still some boats in Cape Verde Islands but most (if not all) will be gone latest beginning of January.

Why should a boat wait so long? Even if the destination is US East coast boats will enjoy the season in the Caribbean b4.

You might be able to join a late (January/March) delivery if you are super lucky. In fact I was negotiating with an owner who has a Sunreef 60 Loft built in Gdansk, to be ready December 12th or so (if no delay) and he than wants it moved to the USVI ...

Was not my first choice (not 'so nice' to sail Northern Sea, English Channel and Bay of Biscay in winter although the owner was well aware of longer delays due to waiting for small weather windows) and I decided my wife and I better hop on a Farr 73 in Cascais bound to the BVIs tomorrow ;-)

Good luck!

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 03:11   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Diversify

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 06:01   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Off course, boats depart from the Canaries throughout the year. Past the ARC there will be the non ARC boats going basically till the end of December or early January. Afterwards, there will be only few and apart.

You must take into account that the ARC and non ARC boats and crews are two completely different stories. The ARC boats are very many (300?) and they depart from one point (Las Palmas). These people are extremely "social" (=tend to congregate in selected bars and swap their fears and discuss their dream there).

Imho, it may be easiest to catch a ride with one of the boats that feel somewhat underskilled, especially when you bring in your sea miles, your earlier crossings and strong language skills (Spanish, French, etc.). And bringing in a pair of strong arms is a great asset too as so many of the boats are owned by older and not very fit couples.

The non ARC boats may be fewer and they will depart from any Canary port - of which there are about 5 major departure ports as well as maybe 20 further marinas (puertos deportivos).

So your chances are significantly dilluted after the ARC departs.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, dock, las palmas