Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2016, 15:36   #1

Mantus 13 lbs in Europe

Hi all.

Since I'm pretty sure I won't win that spade anchor on this month's giveaway (I don't win things... Ever), I've been looking around for a quality anchor at a reasonable price.

I have a small powerboat with a (sorry for the expression) pathetic folding grapnel which just won't bite into the soft sand we have here in southern Portugal. I can't leave the boat near the shore for more than 15 minutes before I start worrying and heading back to check on the boat which, on more than one occasion, has already dragged 9 feet. I'm fed up and lately I've been anchoring in 4 feet water and then jumping on the damn anchor in hope it will stay burried. It's ridiculous. I do have a 10 feet chain on it followed by polyester line which I try to deploy at at least 3:1 ratio. Problem is, I usually drop anchor in tight spots with turning tides of 6 feet so I can't just give out tons of line and risk hitting the neighbors during a tide or wind change.

Did I say I'm fed up?

Anyway, before the beginning of the season, I did a few searches on the net and found a mantus 13 lbs in Europe for like 105€ plus shipping. It isn't exactly cheap compared to the crap I have available locally but I was pretty much happy in making the sacrifice and get something that actually works (despite the risk the anchor could be stolen during the first week). Being one of the more affordable anchors among the big boys and some good reviews made it a good candidate.

I decided to wait a couple of months and see how the season would go before committing to the purchase. Well... The dumb grapnel dragged last weekend again so I thought "enough is enough" and rushed over the site to check on the anchor again... It's listed at 260€ now?? What? I crawled through the Web and I can't find one under 240€ + shipping? What happened? I know the euro suffered against the dollar but a 100% increase is a killer.

After this testament (sorry guys, I just like bashing my thumb on my phone), my question is simple: Does anybody know where I can get a mantus 13 lbs (5.9kg or 6.5kg depending on the site it's listed) inside the EU at a reasonable price? I don't have the energy to fight with my customs right now so outside the EU would be my last choice and probably an expensive one.

Any help is appreciated.

Thx
Tony

PS: boat is 5.1m long, around 800kg so I don't think I need something bigger or heavier than a 13 lbs anchor. Just need a lunch / afternoon anchor that doesn't embarrass me or risks my boat every weekend.

Enviado do meu GT-I9195 através de Tapatalk
tchavei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 11:07   #2
Dean

Community Sponsor

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Re: Mantus 13 lbs in Europe

Hello, I am not sure who is listing our Mantus Anchor that you found. But at this time Sea Gear Supplies Ltd. Is about the only vendor we show for Portugal. We have been trying to find more Vendors/Dealers in Europe. I hope you can find one local but if not we can try and help you out.
Mantus 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 08:35   #3

Thank you. The vendor I found back then was from the Netherlands I believe but inside the EU it doesn't matter much.

My only problem is that ordering from outside the EU, my customs will have a party at my expense. Not only must I count with a global 30% surcharge but also the month waiting time before it clears customs.

I appreciate very much your offer. I'll try to make something work here. If not, I'll be contacting you soon

Thank you.

Tony

Old 30-06-2016, 15:46   #4
Dean

Community Sponsor

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Tony, Go to our website and click the vendor tab and check all the countries there in Europe. And see if any of them can help you out!
Dean
Mantus 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 17:32   #5

I will, Thx

Tags
Europe, Mantus, rope