Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2018, 10:56   #1

Caribbean Clearing Customs/Immigration costs 2018 vs 2000

Hi, I am new to this page. I cruised the Caribbean/Northern S. America/Central America from 1999 to almost 2003. I had a large dog with me at that time. I was a single woman of 28 years old. I am now considering buying a Catamaran and cruising with my now two dogs. But I am wondering some of the differences from people who know - between cruising then and now... particularly with cost.

Clearing into customs and immigration was super easy - the dog was never a problem (as long as I didn't go to British Islands). The most difficult place was entering him into the Bahamas and even that was just a vet visit, papers filled out by vet to ensure health and presenting those papers upon clearing in. It was the only place I had to do that.

The fees for customs and immigration were low at that time and I do not think any (other than Bahamas) had costs associated with the dog.

From the online reading I am doing, it seems that fees for customs and immigration have dramatically increased - not in line with inflation. I am wondering if this is true or hyperbole? As I cruised back in the day, I learned that there was much less to be afraid of or concerned about than I initially thought when I set out.

Also wondering if the clearing of a dog in is about the same or quite different?

Thank you to all!
sailelsa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, customs, rib