Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2018, 02:28   #1

Customs in Hawaii

Hi,
I really hope someone can help with this.... My boss is a UK citizen. He is flying to Los Angeles and then driving down to Mexico to get his boat and sail on to Hawaii. He plans to leave the boat there for a couple of months and take it onwards to Guam.

He has an ESTA and according to the UK Gov website that is all he needs, even if he is going into the US from Mexico.

However, having just spoken to a US customs guy in Honolulu he is now telling me he needs a B1B2 visa because he's taking his own private boat out of Mexico into US territory.

Having just looked up what's involved in this B1B2 visa it's going to take months to get.... he leaves the UK next week!!

Has anyone else come across this???
JacquieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 03:13   #2

Re: Customs in Hawaii

B2 Visa took us a week in Nassau. Phone the US embassy in London, they may expedite it for you, they may not.

See article on noon site Accurate Information for Yachtsmen Entering the USA — don't know whether this still holds. It is worth phoning the vessel clearance CBP office where you expect to arrive by private boat. https://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports/honolulu if not already done so.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 03:32   #3

thank you Bean Counter.... this may/may not cost me my job
I'll try contacting now. I did try the US Embassy in London but everything is recorded and just gives websites to go to... but I'll try your option. Thanks.
Old 16-03-2018, 03:43   #4

Boat: secondarily boatless

Hi Jacquie,

it is correct that you need a B visa if you enter the US on a noon-licensed carrier - such as a private boat. However - if your boss is driving to pick up his boat there may be an easier solution. Find a US skipper to take the boat to San Diego (without your boss) and have him board there. Once you're in the US the visa requirements don't apply anymore...

Oliver
Oliver L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 04:24   #5

thanks Oliver. That sounds like the best option. I have just spoken to him - and he's actually okay with it (me worrying for nothing). He had suggested he would try that so it looks like I'll keep my job after all!

Thank you and Bean Counter for the information .... so helpful!

Tags
customs, hawaii