Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 16:33   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to dr3v01ution
Living Aboard On the Hook in Hawaii?

With the recent Tsunami, damage and lack of transient spaces in Hawaii and Oahu in particular, I was wondering what people think of living off the hook in Hawaii, both practical and legal. Is there anyone living off the hook in Hawaii? How difficult is it and what considerations do I need to take into account? It seems like finding even a place to park the boat to go ashore for resupplies etc might be difficult. I know I'm dreaming, but trying to get a realistic view of it before I let unknowledgeable people force me into giving up a dream.

Thanks! This forum has been a great wealth of information!
dr3v01ution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 16:42   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
Re: liveaboard off the hook in hawaii?

Do you mean living at anchor? We usually call that "on the hook".

see:http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post604529
Old 08-04-2011, 16:45   #3

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

No firsthand knowledge of anchoring in Hawaii but I've read here and other places that anchoring is poor there. The contours of the islands jut straight up from the ocean floor and it is very steep.
It seems to me, reflecting on what it looked like when I lived there, that there would be TONS of good anchorage inside the reefs on the east side of Oahu and around Sand Island in town but it might be too shallow for most boats. Outside the reefs, no, I doubt that it's a good idea.
Mexico is cheaper to live in and the people are nicer.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 16:46   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

You've got a good question. There is a 90 day permit you can get for anchorages but you still need to pay the state DLNR-Boating and meet all their myriad requirements. Once your 90 days is up I believe you are required to move.
It's worth a telephone call to 808 933-0414. If they are not certain of the answer ask for another number.
Good luck.
kind regards,
Old 08-04-2011, 17:47   #5

Wow thanks everybody,
Yes Doug i mean "on the hook" that alone will make my searches more fruitful DUH
SWW, Yeah i hear that its difficult in general with wait lists ranging from 3-10 years for permanent mooring and this is supposed to be better than it was...

Skipper John, I've tried a bunch of websites and marinas, but Ill try that one next and go through the DLNR website more thoroughly.

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2011, 18:10   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

About the only year around anchorage offshore in Hawaii is the lee side of Maui in the Lahaina area. Sheltered from most high wave conditions but still can get exciting when the swells come from the South. You can anchor in Kailua Bay in Kona but it's rolly in good times and can get very dangerous for short periods in the winter. Hilo Bay has lots of room but don't know how long they'd let you hang out there. If you anchor next to the breakwater you are out of the way of commercial traffic. Keehi Lagoon on Oahu is chock a block with boats in normal times but probably an anchoring nightmare with all the slips destroyed in the the tsunami. Kaneohe Bay on the windward side of Oahu probably has decent anchoring but not sure what the State's requirements are. Hanalei Bay as well as most areas of the islands offer decent conditions during the summer. For about 1/2 the year you've got a lot of anchorages but they are open roadsteds so would want to be living aboard/cruising.

You have three months in ant state harbor on space available basis. If you don't mind moving on every three months, you can cruise the islands from state harbor to state harbor staying the three month limit in each and repeat every year. Cruisers have hung out for extended periods doing that. Honokohau Harbor in Kona has open spaces now and always seems to be able to squeeze you in. A few months ago, the Suisan area of Hilo had open side tie slips. It's directly on a road and supposedly a local hang out so wouldn't leave a boat unattended there, however. The AlaWai on Oahu can usually squeeze in a boat or two except during the TransPac which will be this summer. If you anchor out in the summer and tuck into a series of marinas in the winter, you can stay year around. Real hard to maintain a job under those conditions, however, if that's your intent.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 20:14   #7

Re: Living Aboard On the Hook in Hawaii?

Rover,

Wow thats a lot of information. I would like to stay close to Waikiki to keep my job on the weekends if at all possible, but it seems with the tsunami space is even at more of a premium... I thought I could bounce from the local marinas, or at least just touch down to refill and all but now it seems like even transient space is now unavailable and even stopping by for restocking might be difficult. I'm getting a bit discouraged and thinking this might be a bit out of my reach.

This is a bit disconcerting. Isn't there something i can do to help resolve this situation? I saw one web site that was trying to advocate for resolution of this matter but it didn't look like it had been updated. I mean 3 to ten year waiting lists?

-Don
Old 08-04-2011, 22:32   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

There are ways. Unfortunately, the devastation in Keehi Lagoon has really cut down the available slips which was the best chance. Don't klnow how many boats were destroyed but if there were a lot, that could work in your favor. Maybe, the Federal Money will allow the State to Rehab their marina making a lot of slips available in a relative short time.

The last time I checked, slips were available at Ko'olina but pricey. Also have seen ads for slips in Kaneohe/Kailua. Not cheap either.

Give me a call and I'll give you some hints on how to get a semi permanent slip in a state marina. Phone is eightzeroeighteightninefivetwothreeonenine.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 09:16   #9

Boat: Whitby 42 Ketch

From everything I've heard, they are more tolerant of homeless crackheads and methheads in hawaii than they are of liveaboards who will spend $$$ at their grocery stores!!!
sailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 09:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordiver View Post
From everything I've heard, they are more tolerant of homeless crackheads and methheads in hawaii than they are of liveaboards who will spend $$$ at their grocery stores!!!
That's probably more of a Kamaʻāina vs Haoli thing. Besides, what are people going to spend more money on, meth or food?

Well, I guess if you don't shop at Costco, Walmart or the commissary, food might actually be more expensive in Hawaii...
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 09:38   #11

Google maps shows a number of empty slips at Pearl Harbor Yacht club. A very well protected harbor, IMHO. The Marina restaurant has great food, ate there quite a bit back in the day. The sunsets are beautiful there!

Give them a call:
Commodore - J Turpin (919)-394-1840

Vice Commodore - Jacob Lampe

RC For Sail - Mathew Lasher (812) 760-9175
Old 16-05-2016, 09:57   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Google maps shows a number of empty slips at Pearl Harbor Yacht club. A very well protected harbor, IMHO. The Marina restaurant has great food, ate there quite a bit back in the day. The sunsets are beautiful there!

Give them a call:
Commodore - J Turpin (919)-394-1840

Vice Commodore - Jacob Lampe

RC For Sail - Mathew Lasher (812) 760-9175
If you have a military connection you might eligible. Last time I checked they still had a wait list.
Old 16-05-2016, 10:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
If you have a military connection you might eligible. Last time I checked they still had a wait list.
From their Facebook page:

Quote:
Founded in 1924, Pearl Harbor Yacht Club has a history of providing recreational and competitive boating opportunities for Active Duty, Reserve, Retiree, DoD personnel and their families, as well as the community at large.
I take that to mean anyone, civilian included. It wouldn't hurt to call.
Old 17-05-2016, 01:13   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
From their Facebook page:

I take that to mean anyone, civilian included. It wouldn't hurt to call.
I believe the orginal post was a while back so for whoever is still reading this it never hurts to call, however, as someone who used the Pearl Harbor Marina for many years I know that you must have a military affiliated ID card. I'm not a current resident there so things may have changed so as SoCal suggests, it never hurts to call. Now the base is a combined USAF and USN facility and things may be much different. When I was there the bridge to Ford Island hadn't even been built and there were still moorings to be had. I don't believe there are moorings any longer and since area nine has also closed to slips things are much tighter.

kind regards,

John

Tags
hawaii, living aboard