Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2015, 14:02   #541

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1
Re: Beneteau 38

Hey folks,

I created a group on this forum called "Beneteau Oceanis 38 Owners" for the purpose of sharing some of the more mundane and less publicly interesting information, and to organize topics a bit better than this thread. My hope is that current and future owners will join that group. It's more private and will specifically be for owners and future owners to trade information. General public commentary will remain in this thread.

If you're a current or future owner, please join the group!

To do so:

1) Click the "Community" drop-down in the green navigation bar.

2) Click "Social Groups"

3) In the search box, type "Oceanis 38". The search will return only the the correct group.

4) Click the group and request to join. I will approve.

Thanks!

Matt
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 04:34   #542

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Hmm, you must be referring to using the web based app vs. the iPad CF app. I'll check it out. Thanks for starting it.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 16:12   #543

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluer de Mer View Post
#009, Congratulations on your new boat. Let us know how the ordering, delivery, service process goes. FdM
Well, I have not posted much about ordering/delivery/serviceI purchased a boat already in stock. Obviously there is no ordering, and delivery is taking ways longer than expected - therefore nothing to report on service feedback either.

I am dealing with my dealer (in MA), regarding (finally) putting a boat in water. It seems that a call to Beneteau, may speed a process a bit - but a month and a half since I paid for a stock boat (that was previously in the water) - and not being able to enjoy it seems a bit long.

Hopefully, I will have the boat soon and be able to contribute to the conversation in more meaningful way.
Silver Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 16:28   #544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post
Well, I have not posted much about ordering/delivery/serviceI purchased a boat already in stock. Obviously there is no ordering, and delivery is taking ways longer than expected - therefore nothing to report on service feedback either.

I am dealing with my dealer (in MA), regarding (finally) putting a boat in water. It seems that a call to Beneteau, may speed a process a bit - but a month and a half since I paid for a stock boat (that was previously in the water) - and not being able to enjoy it seems a bit long.

Hopefully, I will have the boat soon and be able to contribute to the conversation in more meaningful way.
No excuse for that. I paid for a stock boat (#003) and delivery was completed in two weeks.
Old 30-04-2015, 17:02   #545

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrebe View Post
No excuse for that. I paid for a stock boat (#003) and delivery was completed in two weeks.
I gave the dealer some leeway due to long and snowy winter in the northeast, and because some items had to be re-done due to winter layup. But 4 weeks should be it. I did not do any "add-ons" during commissioning (so no extra reasons for delays).
Old 30-04-2015, 17:21   #546
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Silver-
Your dealer should be able to give you a direct answer. Are they waiting for something, i.e. a part that Bene must have made in France? Or are they just...behind themselves? Coupla key fitters quit, and can't be replaced?
Unlikely, but also possible the owner is a cokehead and your money went up his nose and he's trying to sell the same boat to three buyers. You just never know.

But you ARE entitled to a simple and reasonable answer from him, and perhaps a rebate if the delivery date continues to be pushed off. See what you can see, then think about whether Beneteau might be of help as well.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 18:38   #547

Well, the direct answer from the dealer is more of an excuse - the location of the boat in the yard (which has been used for weeks now).

The boat is mine - i.e. I did get MSO from the dealer and transferred it to my name (another testimony to slowness of the dealer, when it takes longer to register than to deliver). I do not think that there is any foul play from the dealer in that regard.

The dealer seems to be offering only apologies so far as the way of rectifying the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Silver-
Your dealer should be able to give you a direct answer. Are they waiting for something, i.e. a part that Bene must have made in France? Or are they just...behind themselves? Coupla key fitters quit, and can't be replaced?
Unlikely, but also possible the owner is a cokehead and your money went up his nose and he's trying to sell the same boat to three buyers. You just never know.

But you ARE entitled to a simple and reasonable answer from him, and perhaps a rebate if the delivery date continues to be pushed off. See what you can see, then think about whether Beneteau might be of help as well.
Old 30-04-2015, 19:08   #548

By the way, Beneteau Oceanis 35 owners are also welcome in the 38 group. Currently trying to figure out how to change the name of the group to include that model.
Old 30-04-2015, 19:39   #549
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

So it is the old "We've got fifty boats in the yard but we can only splash yours after the 45 in front of it get splashed and we can only splash five a week..." story?

So nice to know some things never change.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:18   #550

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrebe View Post
By the way, Beneteau Oceanis 35 owners are also welcome in the 38 group. Currently trying to figure out how to change the name of the group to include that model.
Beneteau 3x ?
paulanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 19:22   #551

Boat: O38 & J24

FYI, Had $20 bags made for the adjustable genoa sheet car lines which keep them out of the way of the genoa sheets at the winch and yet are easily in reach from each helm when the car needs adjusting forward or aft. Note the 3M snaps which seem to work great and offer an alternative to drilling holes in the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sheet bags.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	410.7 KB
ID:	101348  
Fluer de Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:30   #552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluer de Mer View Post
FYI, Had $20 bags made for the adjustable genoa sheet car lines which keep them out of the way of the genoa sheets at the winch and yet are easily in reach from each helm when the car needs adjusting forward or aft. Note the 3M snaps which seem to work great and offer an alternative to drilling holes in the boat.

Where did you put them? These bags are necessary--also will be making a bag for the jib furler line...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 03-05-2015, 06:49   #553

Boat: O38 & J24

I put them just behind the primary winches...see better/additional photo. Separately, I'll post this and the other stuff I've done/am doing on your facebook group
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sheet bags 2.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	101358  
Fluer de Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:26   #554

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
So it is the old "We've got fifty boats in the yard but we can only splash yours after the 45 in front of it get splashed and we can only splash five a week..." story?

So nice to know some things never change.
Close, but not exactly.

The boat yard really pulled all the stops and got my boat in the water. There are still some comissioning/QA items to do, but I already took the boat for the first sail.

First impressions: upwind performance was excellent 5.1kn in 6.2kn true, 15 degree heel (as prevuiosly reported by others). Beam reach was a bit slower.
So far so good.
Old 05-05-2015, 13:06   #555

Yep, beam reach I'm still working out how to do well on this boat. There's such a wide range of options on a beam, it seems that trim doesn't matter much, I'm getting 60% of TWS abeam no matter what I do.

So far it appears that I've got a smooth gradient from 70% of TWS close hauled down to 50% of TWS running on the stock main and 105% genny.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
beneteau