Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2016, 16:05   #1

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 13.5
Adding Solar Panels and Inverter

Hi again,

I'm planning on modifying our new boats electrical system by replacing our old battery charger with a new inverter/charger (thinking of a Xantrex HF 1800 W) and also adding some solar panels along with a controller.

The existing system has gone away from the old school battery selector switch, and has the alternator going to an isolator between the house and starting battery banks (see attachment)

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Wiring.jpg Views: 242 Size: 77.3 KB ID: 137321" style="margin: 2px" />

Now I don't like the isolator as the voltage drop (~1 V) is causing problems with the alternator kicking in when the engine is started, so I'm thinking of putting in a Charging Relay or Echo Charger instead.

I think it all makes sense but I would appreciate any feedback. Especially around the inverter. Is is okay to tie the existing boat AC system into the output of the inverter and just have the shore AC go to the inverter? Anything I need to be careful about? I have an electrician Uncle, so I will probably get him to do all the wiring so it is done properly.

Thanks,

Steve
Buchido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 23:07   #2

Re: Adding Solar Panels and Inverter

everything other the then inverter look good. the inverter is a bit more challenging. you need the main breaker before the inverter. so normally you still run from shore plug to AC panel. then have a breaker feeding the inverter / charger. and then back to the AC panel. normally you only want some items on the inverter and some not. so the panel gets split in half as well. some feed from the main breaker and some fed from the inverter output. IE you don't want to run a HWT off an inverter.

also the alternator should be fused at terminal block, and acr / echo wire gets fused on both sides at each battery. you should also have a panel feed fuse at the terminal

the inverter / charger should have it's own fuse and battery switch.

I would remove the fuse between battery and terminal if the terminal is close to battery
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, panels, solar, solar panels