Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2016, 02:28   #1

Navigation in Ijsselmeer.

We are currently in Lemmer heading for Amsterdam.
We have the latest Navionic charts and the Ijsselmeer seems to be very flat, but not particularly deep.
The boat have 1.9 draft.

Is the charts to be trusted and what kind of sea bed is there in general?
//Kjelle
Kjelle69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:54   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Navigation in Ijsselmeer.

Mostly mud. Chart reliability I do not know.

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Cruisers Sailing Forum
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:09   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Hah, I've just been through there. It was terrifying in a boat with 2.4 meter draft and we stuck mostly to the ship channels.

The bottom is very flat but there are obstacles. I don't trust the charts very much, which show very little detail.

Also don't forget that Ijsselmeer is not tidal, but the water level can be different. Call one of the locks to find out the actual water level. Unlike the case in tidal water, where there is virtually always more water than Chart Datum depth, in places like Ijsselmeer (and the Baltic also) the water level may be BELOW the indicated depths, so you can't assume without actually checking the water level that you have at least that much depth.

The locals have told me that you need 2 meters or less draft to navigate more or less freely in the Ijsselmeer. With 1.9 you should be ok. But I would buy the current paper chart, study it, find out the water level, and talk to locals. If I were you.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:01   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kjelle.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:49   #5

Thanks GordMay :-)
Old 03-09-2016, 04:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Hah, I've just been through there. It was terrifying in a boat with 2.4 meter draft and we stuck mostly to the ship channels.

The bottom is very flat but there are obstacles. I don't trust the charts very much, which show very little detail.

Also don't forget that Ijsselmeer is not tidal, but the water level can be different. Call one of the locks to find out the actual water level. Unlike the case in tidal water, where there is virtually always more water than Chart Datum depth, in places like Ijsselmeer (and the Baltic also) the water level may be BELOW the indicated depths, so you can't assume without actually checking the water level that you have at least that much depth.

The locals have told me that you need 2 meters or less draft to navigate more or less freely in the Ijsselmeer. With 1.9 you should be ok. But I would buy the current paper chart, study it, find out the water level, and talk to locals. If I were you.

Thanks for the answers, we just arrived at Lemmer through the channels. (Stande Mast Route)

This site is great for checking of the water levels: https://www.wetterskipfryslan.nl/kaarten/boezem-kaart

Not easy to find this site :-/

The Stande mast were sometimes really nervous due to long parts where depth was around 2.1 - 2.2
Old 04-09-2016, 00:32   #7

Hi Kjelle,

I live in Amsterdam and my boat has 2.1 meters draft. We can almost sail freely at the Ijsselmeer. Only when you are very close to the shore you should be careful, otherwise when it gets shallower then 2 meters, there are striped boys that mark it, like near to Stavoren 'het vrouwen zand'.
Or at the entrance to Amsterdam. At those places just stay close to the fairway and do not pass the green and white or red and white bouys, then you should be ok. I never found any hard ground (as long as you do not sail your boat on the dike of-course ), I have been stuck, but always got loose easily again.
I hope you have a good trip and enjoy Amsterdam. If you have any more questions regarding Amsterdam or the waters close to it, just send me a message.

Best regards,

Sanne
Zoute Sanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:53   #8

** Thanks for the answers, we just arrived at Lemmer through the channels. (Staande Mast Route) **

If you take the lower route via the Lelystad locks you will have no problems at all until the island Pampus. From there stay close to the channels, but whach out for the commercial traffic. Just watch out leaving Lemmer, there are some undepths on the north marked by yellow bouys.

If you are interested in the "staande mast route" then this site may be of interest (also in English):
Staande Mast Route - Varen doe je samen

You can find official recent free dutch ENC charts (~ 75 mb) for use in OpenCPN here:
ENC - Fairway Information Services

Information on current water levels is found here:
Waterstand t.o.v. NAP | Rijkswaterstaat

Information on bridges and locks:
Operating times and waterway features - Fairway Information Services

You know that you are passing on a lot of nice to visit places on the ijsellmeer by going directly from Lemmer to Amsterdam, maybe for the next time?

And you ofcourse already have the required "ANWB Almanak 1 + 2", especially 2 has all the info on bridges, locks harbors, etc., on board?

Have fun.
chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:02   #9

Thanks for all the valuable information, yesterday we sailed from Lemmer to Urk. Very flat seabed with few surprises. As you described the sailing in Ijsselmeer. Probably heading for Enkhuizen tomorrow. As a sidenote: We clocked 1700 Nm since we started our trip in Bay of Botnia in July crossing the Ijssel :-)
Old 04-09-2016, 11:44   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjelle69 View Post
Thanks for all the valuable information, yesterday we sailed from Lemmer to Urk. Very flat seabed with few surprises. As you described the sailing in Ijsselmeer. Probably heading for Enkhuizen tomorrow. As a sidenote: We clocked 1700 Nm since we started our trip in Bay of Botnia in July crossing the Ijssel :-)
And we sailed from Finland, almost at the border to Russia , so probably much the same route and distances. We carried on to the UK, another 350 miles, now near Southampton.

Enjoy Enkhuizen -- an absolutely lovely place. It was a really serendipitous stop for us. If you feel like making barbecue -- the marina has a kind of barbecue palace which you can use for free.

There is an amazing museum of life in the middle ages, in this part of Holland -- allow a whole day for that.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:10   #11

Kjelle if I have insulted you then herewith my apologies.

Just trying to help, the Ijsselmeer used to be my playing ground.

May I suggest a short visit to Volendam, Marken and Monnickendam for some not to miss small touristic places just SW of Enkhuizen, and maybe if you have some time left Muiden just south of Pampus is also worth a visit.

Have fun with your trip and enjoy The Netherlands.

Bas
chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 14:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
Kjelle if I have insulted you then herewith my apologies.

Just trying to help, the Ijsselmeer used to be my playing ground.

May I suggest a short visit to Volendam, Marken and Monnickendam for some not to miss small touristic places just SW of Enkhuizen, and maybe if you have some time left Muiden just south of Pampus is also worth a visit.

Have fun with your trip and enjoy The Netherlands.

Bas

Insulted?! no on the contrary I am honored with all the good answers and suggestions. It's very valuable for us when adventuring this corner of the earth. Thanks. :-)

//Kjelle

Tags
navigation