Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2016, 10:48   #1

Boat: Lagoon 39
Should we or Shouldn't we buy Lagoon 380 or 400?

Research on the web indicates that both the Lagoon 380 and 400 are a good choice for some couples as live-aboard while cruising the Bahamas and Caribbean. We currently are looking and in the market to buy.

Any past or present owners who can share their experiences with these boats is greatly appreciated. Any maintenance issues we need to be aware of? Any suggested equipment? Pros and Cons?
faa50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 10:58   #2

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34
Re: Should we or Shouldn't we buy Lagoon 380 or 400?

extremely not good for strong winds... including with wind at your back... over 24+ kts wind you can't keep it in straight line, especially with big waves .... toooo big wind resistance on side and front.. against wind more then 25-30kts you cannot actually even get into the harbor on engine ! - been there done that

but of course very nice leaving space inside.. really nice..
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 11:04   #3
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtomanov View Post
extremely not good for strong winds... including with wind at your back... over 24+ kts wind you can't keep it in straight line, especially with big waves .... toooo big wind resistance on side and front.. against wind more then 25-30kts you cannot actually even get into the harbor on engine ! - been there done that

That's a strange reply vt. Having owned both for a couple of years we have never experienced those observations. I guess the strongest winds we have experienced would be around 45kn, but still found her very easy to handle up or downwind.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 12:04   #4

Most of the mono hulls we've been considering are full keel with skeg rudders. We particularly like these for the smooth motion, directional stability and ability to heave-to when caught in bad weather or simply needing a rest.

Correct me if wrong, but I'm thinking the beam width of the Lagoon 380 and 400 will provide a similar if the boat is properly balanced so as to limit the hobby horse effect. Second advantage, to the ride of a cat, little healing which my bride will appreciate while sipping on her wine. I understand that these models are not considered "performance cats" but then we are cruising not racing so this is less of an issue, although i do like the superior speed over similar monohulls. Having visited the Lagoon owners site and watching a couple of reviewer videos and posts they seem to support this opinion. Not sure though if a cat can heave-to? And if it can, without daggerboards, the leeward slippage may become an issue if on a lee shore.
Old 20-01-2016, 12:27   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Should we or Shouldn't we buy Lagoon 380 or 400?

I've delivered 380's to 440 in the Med and Trans-Atlantic..
The 380 is a nice boat.. did 12kts with 1/3rd jib in a 25 gusting to 30kts off my stern.. would not try windward in sea's.. rather take shelter if close or heave to if out there and let it pass.. did not like the 440.. tho' she did give me a few 200 mile days.. big thrill for someone who's been happy with 110-ish
Anyway.. your cruising in an area where shelter is not far away and forecasts are regular enough to keep one informed.
The only thing I dislike about cats is the slamming on the lee hull in sea's over a certain size..
But.. I could live with it.. in the main its avoidable without a schedule.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 12:35   #6

Thanks boatsman1, you answered several questions I had. What's your take on the helm? Seems like visibility is good, but wondering about safety in leaving cockpit to step up into helm? Also looks like skipper could be exposed to weather? Did you find these to be issues?
Old 20-01-2016, 13:27   #7

There are plenty of posts in the Lagoon Owners section of this forum that should help answer all your questions. Most are non-biased pros and cons posted by owners, with a few inflammatory posts by trolls looking for a rise.
As others have already posted, I have not experienced directional instability whilst sailing in over 25 kts. I frequently wonder where these types of posts originate.
The helm of the L400 allows a person of medium height to see all 4 corners of the vessel; very useful when docking. The helm is at deck level; so no climbing up or down steps to access the (flat ) decks. It is quite well protected from sun and weather, although the helm enclosure could have definitely benefited from more French aesthetic design! It's no piece of art, a la Eiffel Tower.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 13:33   #8

Quote:

Sometimes a boat's abilities can be exceeded by a crews incompetence.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 13:46   #9

Boat: 2019 Saona 47

Was in the position of having to make a similar decision until the price of oil went into the toilet...... Now we are back to dreaming. Nonetheless, hopefully some of the feedback in this thread will be helpful in the future.
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 14:19   #10
Marine Service Provider

If you are tossing between the 380 and 400, there's a MASSIVE difference between them in terms of space. It's like there's 2 feet added everywhere you look. There's close to 2 feet of extra length in the bathroom area alone, but yet the stegerooms and everywhere else seem much bigger also. Chalk and cheese.... go the 40+ if you can :-)
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 14:43   #11

Wondering how live aboard cruisers are finding the amount of refrig/freezer space is working for them?

Also is the galley counter space area adequate for meal prep other than just "camping meals" and appetizers? Seems like the 400 model addresses this issue as well as providing a more substantial nav station and area for electronics.

We just need three extra cabins and the heads that support the berths. Two as on the 380 are more than adequate. Are all 400's equipped with 4 berths?

I'm a fan of endless furling Code O's and both these models seem an ideal application for the sail plan.
Old 20-01-2016, 14:59   #12

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
That's a strange reply vt. Having owned both for a couple of years we have never experienced those observations. I guess the strongest winds we have experienced would be around 45kn, but still found her very easy to handle up or downwind.
you may have better experience then me then.. I have just charter cats.. never owned one...

my experience is based on a wind 45 ( 54 gusts ) going from the south towards Tinos island ( Tinos town) in Greece against the wind - actually did not managed to get into the harbor on full throttle the cat stays on same place and was really awful I had to turn back and go with the wind and hide in Syros/Ermopoly

and once again from Skiathos to Tassos with wind about 30kts and relatively big waves with wind from the back when on the top of the wave the cat is valiantly try to turn side ways and it is difficult top keep it on direction almost every other wave... but managed to get to the destination...

in the end I'm just a half-boat sailor most of the time.. I may not just be good enough to handle properly the cat - e.g. the problem may be with me and not with the cat, but I will not want a cat anymore to be honest...
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 15:26   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Should we or Shouldn't we buy Lagoon 380 or 400?

Quote:
Originally Posted by faa50 View Post
Thanks boatsman1, you answered several questions I had. What's your take on the helm? Seems like visibility is good, but wondering about safety in leaving cockpit to step up into helm? Also looks like skipper could be exposed to weather? Did you find these to be issues?
Going to the helm is safe enough.. though I cannot say the same for the standard 440 in a sea..
Also the screen provides adequate protection tho' in fact 90% of the time one is on AP.. and with all that visibility watch keeping in the salon when its bitter is great.. remote for the AP is useful.
The owners version is nice..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 19:13   #14

Quote:
you may have better experience then me then.. I have just charter cats.. never owned one...

my experience is based on a wind 45 ( 54 gusts ) going from the south towards Tinos island ( Tinos town) in Greece against the wind - actually did not managed to get into the harbor on full throttle the cat stays on same place and was really awful I had to turn back and go with the wind and hide in Syros/Ermopoly

and once again from Skiathos to Tassos with wind about 30kts and relatively big waves with wind from the back when on the top of the wave the cat is valiantly try to turn side ways and it is difficult top keep it on direction almost every other wave... but managed to get to the destination...

Hmm... originally you said it couldn't motor against 25-30 knots. Now it's 45 - 54 knots. Can you see there's a bit of difference there?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 19:41   #15

Boat: Hunter 50 CC

We owned a 400 for a couple of years and enjoyed sailing her. The helm seat leaves a lot to be desired and the high freeboard causes her to hunt at anchor or while moored. We've sailed 380s and I really like them, but as others have already posted; they are much smaller than the 400. Another consideration for tropical cruising is that the 380 does not have a factory option for A/C or a generator, whereas the 400 does. They can be added aftermarket but that takes up a lot of storage space.

I don't know your budget but if you're looking at new you might want to consider the Lagoon 42. There will be a 380 and a 42 at the Miami Boat Show. Stop in and ask for Larry from Puerto Rico / Caribbean. I'd be happy to share my experiences on sailing all of the current model Lagoons from 380s through 560s, minus the 39.

We chose the 450 as our cruising boat. The flybridge rocks for the tropics!

Lucky Larry
Lucky Larry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 380