Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 04:29   #1
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Atlantic African Coast

G'day
We are heading toward the canaries from Portugal and thinking of stopping in Morocco along the way. Possibly overnight to Rabat, then down to Agadir then out to the canaries. Any advice in this route from others who have recently done it is much appreciated. We don't have a guidebook for that area so just wanting to formulate a plan before departure regarding local weather conditions, harbour entrances, tides etc. also is it worthwhile making the 2 stops or perhaps just one? If so which one. We would like to spend a few days exploring inland so we would likely want to find a scent safe driver to show us around, possibly take a look at Casablanca, some markets and whatever else is of interest on the way.
Thanks
Monte
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:50   #2

Boat: Hanse 385
Re: Atlantic African Coast

Hey Monte,

We'll be heading down that exact same route in early Oct.
You crossing the pond this year?

We're signed up for the Arc rally which leaves Nov 23.
Hopefully catch you down there.

Regards,
Simon

www.sailing-interlude.com
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:26   #3
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Simon. Will let you know how we go with Africa. We are crossing with the Atlantic odyssey from lanzarote, but will probably cruise around the canaries for a month or so prior to departure. Hopefully catch up for a
Old 03-09-2014, 08:49   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Rabat is difficult to get into because the sands shift well outside the harbour.

Check Noonsite or some one who has been there. You can't just wing it, I think the Marina sends a boat out to guide you in.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:18   #5
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Mark, I read that about Rabat. Mohammedia seems like an OK option a bit further South. Close to Casablanca. Just hoping for some recent first hand info.
Cheers
Old 05-09-2014, 05:27   #6

Hi Monte,

Have you looked into visas for this area yet? We're just starting to look as we'll be stopping off in the same areas. I've asked the ARC people as well as I'm sure many will stop at these ports so will post back anything I get from them.

Regards,
Simon

Old 05-09-2014, 05:50   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

agadir is a safe and easy marina to get into in any conditions,also nice town with easy connections if you want to travel inland.

you can also stop in safi and essuoeria,but these are fishing ports with easy all weather enterances,but the boat will smell of sardines for a while after you leave!

be very careful entering casablanca or rabat in all but flat calm conditions,every year boats get wrecked trying to enter.

tangier is also a possible,you can tie up near the yacht club to any fishing boat on arrival,then find a better berth once checked in.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:53   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard View Post
Hi Monte,

Have you looked into visas for this area yet? We're just starting to look as we'll be stopping off in the same areas. I've asked the ARC people as well as I'm sure many will stop at these ports so will post back anything I get from them.

Regards,
Simon
had no problem stopping there without visa's for uk,usa,aus crew onboard .
eu citizens dont need visas any way.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:17   #9
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Atoll, How about mohammedia, 10M North of Casablanca? Seems like a pretty easy entrance. Have you stopped there before as well?
I read there was a marina being built at Casablanca but it doesnt seem to be finished.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:19   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Thanks Atoll, How about mohammedia, 10M North of Casablanca? Seems like a pretty easy entrance. Have you stopped there before as well?
I read there was a marina being built at Casablanca but it doesnt seem to be finished.
the marina in casablanca i belive is operational,and is very much set up for the morrocan elite,but should have no problems stopping there once you have crossed the barrred harbour enterance.

i have not stopped in mohammedia (i belive it is a big commercial port with not much to offer apart from shelter),as generally once out of the straights i try to get as far south as possible,as quickly as possible whilst there are NE winds,before they change back to SW which are quite common later in the year.

once past Safi SW winds are a lot less common but have been caught out a few times and ended up beating into SW winds for days going nowhere fast!
Old 05-09-2014, 09:39   #11

Thanks for the info, atoll. Did you find any particular weather source more reliable for that coast than others?
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:54   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
Thanks for the info, atoll. Did you find any particular weather source more reliable for that coast than others?
i find passageweather.com or weatheronline.co.uk/sailing to be pretty accurate around the islands and on the african coast.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:07   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

I was recommended to stay away from Moroccain cost by almost everyone who had been there, so did I. Nevertheless, I got trapped into 2-3 nm wide fishersmen net just 33 nm away from the coastline and a couple of miles inside the international ship route...These nets were unusually just laying at sea surface that I couldn't avoid with my 1m20 draft and I was later told that they were for sword fishes..

If you see them, don't attempt to go in between white lights (which we usually do here and which I did to get the deepest point of the net..) but simply go parallel to all these white lights until you find the red or green light to turn around..
I was told that these nets are generally set out when the weather and sea is relatively quite.
Good luck
Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 23:48   #14

Hey Monte,

Just wondering if you've done this passage yet any how it went? Or are you still heading south from Portugal?

Regards,
Simon

Old 24-09-2014, 01:26   #15
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

About 9 years ago we tried to go to Casablanca but were refused entry and told to go to Mohammedia. I believe the marina is very close to the huge Mosque (you can see the light on the top of it from about 20 miles out!) and they don't like visitors. May have changed now. Mohammedia is a comercial port but it was interesting. We also went to El Jadida which is a fishing port. Once again a great place to visit but beware of the large wooden fishing boats. A French boat and ourselves got some damage from them. All sorted out but a hassle. As Atoll said Agadir is an easy entrance but you do get a very large swell in the area which can make the entrance a bit tricky in certain conditions.

Sos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Africa