Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2019, 17:54   #1

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Sail Material, which one for performance cruiser

I'm a bit lost with all the info out there on sails - materials V's performance V's life cycles V's cost.

It seems modern materials can give you all things so I'm leaning towards a racing material, is that a mistake ? I'll probably do around 4,000 nm a year for a few years mostly coastal but with some ocean miles.

I'm a while away from needing sails but I've started to think about it. While the boat is primarily a cruising boat, performance is what makes me smile, I enjoy improving the boat and I'll probably do a few races here and there.

I like faster more than I like longevity but I love a good deal. My boat is not a standard boat so I'd have to measure it and have someone who was technical in design to give me what I want. That may rule out buying from overseas ?
  1. Most important to me is best speed in light winds
  2. 2nd - good speed/performance anywhere where apparent wind is in front, particularly good pointing
  3. 3rd - is anything else
I assume 1 and 2 contradict each other to a degree.

I'd like some feedback or links with to up to date information on modern materials and the technology in design.

Thanks
Dave
Old 18-03-2019, 18:24   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 375
Re: Sail Material, which one for performance cruiser

Well, my priorities were similar to yours, maybe with a little more emphasis on longevity. My compromise amounted to tri-radial sail construction with high(er) end Dacron material. We have a very good local sailmaker, and I consider his advice, custom measurements, and after-delivery service to be especially valuable.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 09:32   #3

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Sail Material, which one for performance cruiser

Our most recent sails have been Pentex. Seems to hold shape and wear well. (5 yrs so far.)
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, sail