Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2019, 11:22   #1

Wind instrument as help to inexperienced crew?

Hi,

I am very junior when it comes to sailing: 3 years mostly on dinghies, crewing bigger boats and one longer sea passage (in really bad seas). The boat (recently owned) is an Albin Vega.

I am planning a couple of weeks of summer cruising with some friends (total 3 of us) along the Swedish west coast. We're all in our early to mid 30s and will mostly hop from anchorage to anchorage. There will be a couple of longer legs without stop (48hours maximum).

- The first crew is an experienced windsurfer from the Mediterranean sea. I expect that he will know if the wind picks up and it's time to call for more hands on deck to reef more.
- The second crew has no experience sailing. Sailing will probably not come naturally to him.

We intend to have some watch rotation during these longer legs,

The boat currently has no sailing instruments other than a basic GPS and a depth sounder.

I am asking myself if it's worth it adding more instruments (namely wind speed & direction + maybe a log). Cost is a non-issue and I would neither mind the installation nor the new shiny display in the cockpit. However it's not something really 'needed' and mostly comes down to: Will wind instruments help the inexperienced crew steer and monitor the boat when they are on watch?

It seems to me that with modern weather forecasts, proper planning and a bit of teaching, missing wind instruments will not make things more difficult. I don't have enough experience to know that for sure though.

Hence my question: In your experience, does having wind instruments significantly help inexperienced crew steer the boat and signal for changing conditions when they are on watch?
nherment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 16:20   #2

Boat: Columbia 8.7
Re: Wind instrument as help to inexperienced crew?

As an inexperienced sailor, I found a piece of string tied to a shroud helpful for those purposes.
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 16:21   #3

Boat: Mirage 35

Forecasts tell you what might happen; instruments tell you what’s actually happening. In my experience inexperienced (and experienced) crew benefit from wind instruments to help them understand what they’re feeling.

And in your case would allow you to give some clear criteria, e.g. “call me if the wind goes above x knots.”
Old 25-02-2019, 16:46   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
Forecasts tell you what might happen; instruments tell you what’s actually happening. In my experience inexperienced (and experienced) crew benefit from wind instruments to help them understand what they’re feeling.

And in your case would allow you to give some clear criteria, e.g. “call me if the wind goes above x knots.”
And:
Keep the wind indicator between 35 and 40°. check your compass peeriodically and tell me if your heading changes by more than 10° while holding that wind direction.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 16:56   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

a wind instrument is not going to warn you about an approaching squall or front untill the wind really picks up.
on such a small boat it will become apparent very quickly that you need to reef if the wind picks up without need of a wind speed instrument.

probably better to spend your money on a gmdss vhf with an AIS display,or something like the NASA AIS display unit
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 17:16   #6

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
a wind instrument is not going to warn you about an approaching squall or front untill the wind really picks up.
on such a small boat it will become apparent very quickly that you need to reef if the wind picks up without need of a wind speed instrument.

probably better to spend your money on a gmdss vhf with an AIS display,or something like the NASA AIS display unit
If budget only allows a few additions, focus on these first. You'll learn to read the water to estimate wind speeds pretty quick (not that it matters much), but you'll never be able to read AIS without a receiver

A windex on the mast showing direction is really helpful when you start.

Matt
Old 26-02-2019, 06:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nherment View Post
Hi,

Hence my question: In your experience, does having wind instruments significantly help inexperienced crew steer the boat and signal for changing conditions when they are on watch?

Absolutely yes!
...but only if you explain to him how to use it before leaving

A windex on the head of the mast it's hard to use for hours, and during the night watches!
Yellow bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 06:33   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I like our Raymarine wind speed display and have a spare mast head unit after hitting a tree with it, don't ask

It gives me a picture of what the wind strength is doing, particularly if its increasing slowly.

The wifey who doesn't like sailing in rough conditions has learnt to read it and now understands the conditions we are likely to encounter based on the readings and the forecast. What she doesn't know is that I switch between true and apparent wind strengths so that it displays the lower reading and therefore there is harmony on board.

If you are coastal cruising particularly around headlands, this warrants care as they are likely to funnel the wind and create a wind shift which can catch folk out.

Should be a great trip, will you do a write up for us on here with some photos? I would love to do the canal trip across Sweden sometime.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 08:16   #9

Personally, I wouldn't let someone with no experience of sailing stand watch off the Swedish coast.

They are not qualified to do so, in any way.

Need to do some supervised sailing for several days first, at least.
Old 26-02-2019, 08:25   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

How much night sailing experience do you and your mates have? Do you have an autopilot for the long passages? I've found that even inexperienced crew can learn to handle a daytime partially-supervised watch (experienced person napping on the deck) with very little training. I've found that doing that at night is almost impossible, so plan accordingly. Instruments help a new person visualize wind direction and speed, and are invaluable at night. Hand-steering more than a couple hours is horrible, tiller or wheel.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 09:01   #11

Boat: DownEaster 38

Sure a wind speed/direction gauge is useful, but not absolutely necessary. As said above, tie yarn to a shroud on each side to get the direction of the apparent wind. You will feel the wind speed by the boat's reaction. The wind surfer dude should know how to orient the sails.
For your cruise you need charts, which these days means a good navigation app on your phone or tablet. That will give you speed over the ground, too. The depth sounder is probably the most important instrument for rock hopping along that coast. Sounds great...Have fun.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 09:06   #12

I would say a wind indicator with tacking tabs at the top of the mast is a must for inexperienced and experienced sailors alike.
For an inexperienced sailor, "keep the arrow on the tab" and you beat upwind like a pro. It is the easiest way to get people hooked on sailing and put a big grin on their faces.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 09:10   #13

Oh, in addition to the wind indicator, if you want to provide source for infinite entertainment, three telltales on the leech of the main and three on the leech of the jib, and just keep them flying. Get a little yarn and some stickers, takes ten minutes and it makes a huge difference.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 09:30   #14

Boat: Allmand 31

I have had my wireless Clipper Wind Instrument w/Masthead Transducer & Cover four years now, and still works.
https://www.amazon.com/Clipper-Instr.../dp/B004AE1RZO
Paradox111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 11:12   #15

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I echo all the above. Chart plotter at the helm (dedicated unit or on a tablet) is a must, I would think, on such a challenging coast. Also, I like string/yarn wind indicators down near the deck. That way your helmsman is looking forward instead of staring at the mast top.

One more issue is sea sickness for the novice crew. Something you may wish to ascertain before the long cruise.

I skippered for a sailing club in the eastern US many years ago. For green novices, we would first take them on short daysails in sheltered waters. If that went OK, a long daysail in more open water (preferrably with some sea running). If all was OK, they would be cleared for weekend and then longer trips. Also, some folks have trouble sleeping onboard (noise, rolling, snorers). They then get fatigued which seems to exacerbate the seasickness. Lastly, no alcohol while underway and keep them on deck, busy and well fed.

You really don't want a really seasick crew on board. They are miserable and can sometimes get pretty difficult if you don't meet their demands to go ashore.

Should be a great trip. I'm jealous.
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, enc, men, rum, wind