Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2018, 11:27   #1

Possible to liveaboard on the hook only? East coast

Planning to cruise the US east coast up and down based on the seasons. It seems there is a confusing patchwork of rules per county / state / fed etc. on anchoring. Is it possible to live on the hook only? Boat is fully self sufficient and I work from home.
What if I want to leave the boat to fly somewhere for a few days?
Anyone do this sort of thing?
ryantrollip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 12:19   #2

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: Possible to liveaboard on the hook only? East coast

The legalities may change as you move, but practically, if your boat is well found and ready to move under it's own power, except for a few municipalities around FL and other big cities, there's really not much fuss. A lot of cruisers do this migration each year.

I did this for a number of years. For periods when working full time, I would often find a marina and stay a month or two (monthly rates are significantly lower than daily or weekly transient rates). YMMV
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 12:30   #3
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I’ve been up/down 3 times the past 2.5 years.

It’s possible
Old 24-12-2018, 13:59   #4

Thanks for the replys and merry xmas.
Is it acceptable (other than security concerns) to leave the boat anchored for a week or so, unattended?
This is a 66'x33' cat so even if I was willing to pay the fees it will likely not fit in some marinas
Old 25-12-2018, 09:56   #5

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantrollip View Post
Is it acceptable (other than security concerns) to leave the boat anchored for a week or so, unattended?
This is a 66'x33' cat so even if I was willing to pay the fees it will likely not fit in some marinas

===

Leaving a boat unattended for any length of time is always a risk, especially during hurricane season. We've done the north/south migration 7 times in the last 14 years, spending much of the time at anchor, and sometimes working from the boat. If we're leaving it overnight or longer, we'll almost always dock it at a marina, preferably one that is either behind a hurricane barrier or well inland from the coast. Security from theft or vandalism is also a concern virtually everywhere.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 01:58   #6

If living on hook, running a generator for a/c, fridge, lights, etc. how much fuel burn are we talking about? Per hour, day . . .
plumqik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 03:50   #7
S/V rubber ducky

My generator uses 1/4 gph
Old 26-12-2018, 04:31   #8

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumqik View Post
If living on hook, running a generator for a/c, fridge, lights, etc. how much fuel burn are we talking about? Per hour, day . . .

===

It depends on the size of the generator and how much load you put on it. We run ours 5 or 6 hours a day which burns several gallons on average.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 05:34   #9

Boat: None

Quote:
We're only 24' abeam. Our recent experience is that almost no marinas on the Florida east coast have a transient slip we can use. We have been able to find an end tie reasonably easy. But these are cash cows for marinas and none have been willing to give us anything but the daily rate. Owning a wide-beam catamaran is quite expensive in this context ...
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 05:49   #10

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumqik View Post
Often times, people living on the hook will have an inverter that converts power from their 12 volt house battery bank to 120 volts to power a refrigerator, lights, a microwave, etc. and they will have a bank of solar panels to help recharge the house bank during the daylight hours. This lessens the need for a generator. Typically, an inverter won't be enough to power things like air conditioning or a hot water heater. Although there are exceptions, those usually require some generator time.

Definitely do-able and it's out plan for the future.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 06:32   #11
S/V rubber ducky

Personally I don’t worry myself about the marina costs to someone who can have a 66’ x 33’ cat. I also doubt anyone asking this series of questions who says that is the boat they are going to have will ever do it. I expect soon the question will be “can I catch enough fish to eat and trade to live on”.
Old 26-12-2018, 10:46   #12

Quote:
Planning to cruise the US east coast up and down based on the seasons. It seems there is a confusing patchwork of rules per county / state / fed etc. on anchoring. Is it possible to live on the hook only? Boat is fully self sufficient and I work from home.
What if I want to leave the boat to fly somewhere for a few days?
Anyone do this sort of thing?
Hello

I am retired and could babysit / move it to your next location on board and my partner is a good cook.

Kind regards David
drcot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 10:52   #13

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

It can be done. One of the bigger issues is where do you land your dinghy?j One method of solving this is by belonging to a yacht club. Many have agreements with other clubs that allow a short term use of facilities. Another partial solution is to use something like Active Captain or Zulu Waterways. These have man who list information about such things, and many other useful pieces of information. City and municipal marinas often have reasonable rates for transients and/or dinghies that make living on the hook more practical.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 15:55   #14

Its home made so not as snobby as it sounds. more gangly ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Personally I don’t worry myself about the marina costs to someone who can have a 66’ x 33’ cat. I also doubt anyone asking this series of questions who says that is the boat they are going to have will ever do it. I expect soon the question will be “can I catch enough fish to eat and trade to live on”.
Old 26-12-2018, 15:56   #15

Good tip, thanks Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
It can be done. One of the bigger issues is where do you land your dinghy?j One method of solving this is by belonging to a yacht club. Many have agreements with other clubs that allow a short term use of facilities. Another partial solution is to use something like Active Captain or Zulu Waterways. These have man who list information about such things, and many other useful pieces of information. City and municipal marinas often have reasonable rates for transients and/or dinghies that make living on the hook more practical.

Tags
east coast, liveaboard