Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2017, 13:21   #1

Boat: IP 370
Caribbean Cell Service

What is the best (cheapest) way to handle cell service if cruising between different islands in the caribbean? Do I need more than one phone or is it easier to get new sim cards when I get to a new island? How does all of this translate to my tablet? Obviously I would try to use wifi whenever I can, but that's not always doable. How do you guys handle this issue? I now go on a 2-3 week trip from the states, and get packages from AT&T and the cost is outrageous!! All ideas are appreciated. Thanks
Journeys End is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 06:51   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Caribbean Cell Service

Some of the islands share cell providers such as TelCell, but you will need to get a couple of SIM cards to cover you up and down the chain. I have a Wi-Fi extender (used to be an Ubiquiti Bullet but now I have a Bitstorm BadBoy) and can often get a signal; in fact right now I'm off Pain de Sucre in Les Iles des Saintes and am using a hotel Wi-Fi signal where I got the password for the price of a couple of drinks. But cellular coverage is quite good in the Caribbean and the data plans are getting cheaper and cheaper.
Old 19-04-2017, 08:04   #3

Boat: Hans Christian 33

We used Chippie in St. Maarten, Digicell in Antigua (which worked well, but we always had data and top up money missing from account), Orange in Guadeloupe and Martinique (service okay, but slow), Digicell in Dominica (had to buy a compatible phone, but service was good), used my Grenada Digicell sim in St. Lucia, Grenadines, and Grenada. My wife used Lime in Dominica which was a little cheaper than Digicel.

Cost of sim was about $20ec most times and about $90ec for a 30 day 2.5 to 3 gig data plan.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 08:23   #4

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

We did a very similar thing to Don above. Pretty much used the same companies they did in those islands. We also had pretty much the same experience except in Antigua, we found it super slow there!

If you are American (or have a USA address) then there are 2 other options. You can use Google Fi which some of our buddy boats use. They report it works through all the islands but can get quite slow. The other option is TMobile. It "mostly" works through all the islands but can also get slow.

We also use a WIFI extender as SIM data can be very expensive. Our extender is quite complex (multiple antennas, ability to raise and lower, ect). We can usually get WIFI even when other boats don't. However, the bars and restaurants have begun to become sophisticated. We have encounted many that will block out devices based on distance. The other trick they use is to turn thier AP power down so it only covers the location. So no more buying a beer to get a password, then going back to your boat.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib, service