Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2017, 09:06   #1

Looking to get from Alaska to Japan around September-October

Hello, my name is Ayal Greenberg.. Israeli, 25 years old.. Looking to be part of a crew on a sail boat sailing from Alaska to Japan.. I'm fishing every summer in Alaska and the season ends on September..
I did a skipper course in Israel and since then had a one week sailing trip in Alaska.. We had a pretty rough ride.. So that's the main experience I have with sailing..
Other than that I'm a pretty friendly person, love adventures always up for a challenge and always up to learn new things.
Please hit me up if you're interested(:
Take it easy.
AyalG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 23:26   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Looking to get from Alaska to Japan around September-October

G'Day Ayal,

Not too many folks making that passage! Likely you'll have to detour via the west coast, Mexico and then the milk run to the SP, thence to Japan. Hope you have time up your sleeve!

Jim
Old 27-02-2017, 05:30   #3

Well.. I only need one sailor and wouldn't that be special and great..
Thanks for the advice tho!
AyalG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 15:53   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

AyalG,

Seriously, you have to ask why would a sailor/cruiser choose to go the hard way to Japan, when the trip from Japan to AK is the easier one. Also, there is the issue of the beginnings of the winter storms.

You're right, you need only one sailor, but that sailor would have to have a strong reason to make that trip at that time, and a very strong boat, as well. However, I am sure you can fly from Alaska to Japan fairly easily. "Nothing goes to weather like a 747".

If your life were a spy story, your true thoughts might be to infiltrate yourself into the Soviet Union via Siberia, with the cover story of being a nice, harmless fisherman....

Anyhow, i hope you find the ride you want.

Ann
Old 27-02-2017, 16:33   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalG View Post
Well.. I only need one sailor and wouldn't that be special and great..
Thanks for the advice tho!
Here's some more advice: if you find a skipper who is proposing to make that passage at that time of year in a sailing yacht, do some research on his track record and good sense. Most folks would fail him on the latter...'

Seriously, the reason that you are unlikely to find anyone making that trip is that it is a rather perilous and difficult one.

So no, I don't think it would be "special and great".

Jim
Old 28-02-2017, 02:58   #6

Boat: Custom 55

It's probably a waste of typing on my part, since nobody in their right mind is going to be making this trip...

I can't think of any sailing skipper worth his salt, unless he was on a very highly specialized high-latitude boat and a masochist to boot who would transit the N. Pacific in these latitudes on a sailboat in October.

I know of what I speak, I also fish in Alaska, but I do it in every month of the year. (I'm writing from my wheelhouse now, N. of Dutch harbor). I've spent 25 Octobers in either the Bering Sea or Aleutian islands, and I've had my butt handed to me on more occasions than I care to recall at that time of year. This is on big commercial boats in the 150-225' range, by the way.

Sailing E-W (or either direction, really) in these latitudes in the fall? Pure madness.

Like Jim said, though, if you've got the time, you could go the tropical route. Otherwise, buy a ticket!
TJ

Tags
alaska, Japan