Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2017, 10:50   #1

Boat: Morgan 35
Best Marina in the Caribbean?

Hi everyone. I have a problem. I sold my boat about 4 years ago and ever since I've been afflicted with an incurable condition of boatitis. It keeps trending worse, so I've finally come up with a treatment plan. I'm going to buy a boat in Florida, and sail it through the Panama Canal to San Francisco to drop it off with my brother who lives there. The actual Sailing will take 1 to 2 months, but I plan to do this over the course of 3-5 years. Which means that for 35+ months the boat will be sitting in a marina (or various marinas). Let me caveat this with the admission that I am totally ridiculous and nuts and that it would probably be more reasonable to charter a boat than to buy one. But that being said ...I'm looking for a marina anywhere in the Caribbean or the Gulf Coast that is (ideally): cheap, secure so my boat won't be pillaged by locals, reasonably secure in case of hurricanes, situated in reasonable proximity to an airport, oh and one more thing, cheap. Any suggestions?
flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 18:23   #2

Re: Best Marina in the Caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Hi everyone. I have a problem. I sold my boat about 4 years ago and ever since I've been afflicted with an incurable condition of boatitis. It keeps trending worse, so I've finally come up with a treatment plan. I'm going to buy a boat in Florida, and sail it through the Panama Canal to San Francisco to drop it off with my brother who lives there. The actual Sailing will take 1 to 2 months, but I plan to do this over the course of 3-5 years. Which means that for 35+ months the boat will be sitting in a marina (or various marinas). Let me caveat this with the admission that I am totally ridiculous and nuts and that it would probably be more reasonable to charter a boat than to buy one. But that being said ...I'm looking for a marina anywhere in the Caribbean or the Gulf Coast that is (ideally): cheap, secure so my boat won't be pillaged by locals, reasonably secure in case of hurricanes, situated in reasonable proximity to an airport, oh and one more thing, cheap. Any suggestions?
What kind of boat are you looking for
jmac9365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 07:53   #3
h20

mexico is the most affordable. we paid 200 for dock and all in Progreso and nothing in Islamujeres. calm bay. here now

Quote:
h20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 09:06   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac9365 View Post
What kind of boat are you looking for
Something about 40 feet. Maybe a center cockpit ketch. I've always liked ketches, but I've never owned one.
Old 20-02-2017, 09:48   #5
h20

maybe i would consider selling my fast sailing Oday. put 20 into it and it is turn key live aboard, nothing to do expect sail, custom chain plate, kick ass electrical, custom chain plates, air co, the whole 9 yards....heck i will get my list and post it, at least you can have an idea

Quote:
Something about 40 feet. Maybe a center cockpit ketch. I've always liked ketches, but I've never owned one.
Old 20-02-2017, 09:51   #6
h20

my dear wife and I have not advertised our boat. but this is the list we did to the boat. it may help you in some way? good luck
8k Refit Westerbeke Engine with Paper Work
4.8k All New Shrouds #1 Brand, Deck Hardware and Custom Triple Size Chain Plates Bolted to Bulkhead, Front Chain Plate Doubled. Rebed Gibe Tack Sheet. Deck Rot Removed, Pulpit and Cleats Re Beded
Air Conditioner
4k Solar Set Up 300 watt Panel. Midnight Controller. 4 6v New Trogen batteries. 1 New starter Batery
2k New West Marine Hard Bottom Dinghy
1.8k New Honda 5 Horse Power Dinghy Engine
.5k Like New Honda Generator
1k Garman Chart Plotter 4208 with New Antenna Professionally installed SW Caribbean Chip and All Florida, Bahamas. 3 Garmin Hand Help GPS
Autohelm 3000 2 new belts
Refit Westerbeke Engine
1 set Dive Gear
Spear Guns and Sate of the Art Pole Spears. Penn and Shimono Heavy and light fishing rods. Extra Long Strong Fishing Gaff. Fishing Lures.
30 Amp Built in Charles Solid Power Charger
30 Amp Zinc Saver
Garman Chart Plotter 4208 with New Antenna Professionally installed SW Caribbean Chip and All Florida, Bahamas. 3 Garmin Hand Help GPS
Shore Power Plug. Generator Plug
2 BBQ Grills. Charcoal and Gas
Sea Anchor Set up
7 Anchors
Mooring Ball
Stuffing Box
Sails Good Shape
1 Extra Storm Gib
Real mattress main Salon
Thousands of Tools
3 Lobster Nets
Shop Vac
Charcoal filtration Holding Tank
3 Fans
Screens for all hatches and companionway
Portable Water Pump
Oil Change Removal Vacuum Pump

Quote:
Old 22-02-2017, 18:42   #7

Wow h20! That's an extensive list. Lobster pots too. That's making me drool.
Old 23-02-2017, 16:49   #8
h20

thank you. just charged refrigerator. Pride when you do all the work and it is excellent,,,

Quote:
Wow h20! That's an extensive list. Lobster pots too. That's making me drool.

Tags
Caribbean, rib