Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: If you will be sailing to the CF gathering, where would you prefer it was held?
Port Aransas/Rockport 4 28.57%
Matagorda/Colorado River 2 14.29%
Galveston Area 7 50.00%
Other (Specify) 1 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2014, 17:54   #106

Re: Texas Cruisers Forum Meetup

Cool. Thanks. I rode down to port a a few days ago and absolutely fell in love sittin on the beach Thursday mornin I have to get this out of my system if I dont like it . If someone is willing to take me out I would appreciate it. I have found one boat I like down there. But im not gonna buy without this first
petrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 20:59   #107

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Petrified, there are a few boats that are collecting some serious dust in port a. What are you looking for? Sail? Power? Cat or mono? Off shore, coastal, or day boat?

Rockport is a great little town. Here is a picture of our boat leaving the marina Rain Dog spoke of earlier. Nice easy entrance. The piers look fairly strong but not sure about hurricane season. I'll try to find a picture of the actual marina
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	79426  
Old 16-04-2014, 03:08   #108

Coastal sailer. Im not rich so no cat one of the main things stopping me right now is hurricane season is right here and I think we are overdue. Theres alot of boats c ollecting dust
Old 16-04-2014, 08:00   #109

But Ike should keep the windy monsters at bay for at least another five years...my pure voodoo speculation.

So a nice gunkhole boat, shallow draft, but seaworthy for the rowdy GOM..?
Old 16-04-2014, 08:04   #110

Yep nothin fancy to start with. No plans to travel around the world . Texas should have plenty to offer.
Old 16-04-2014, 08:59   #111

Boat: IP 40

We're also looking for a decent boat to learn on. In our price range (~30k) we'll definitely be sticking with a mono and are looking for something we can get offshore with but also nothing so small that it feels like camping. Our main goal is to get start getting out building some coastal experience. I've had limited luck locating crewing opportunities which is really where we'd like to start but after our upcoming ASA 103/104 classes (late May) will likely start looking seriously for something both affordable and functional. I've had limited luck with the yachtworld and sailingtexas sites. Any other suggestions for where to hunt via the web? We're still not even sure where we'd keep her, since we live in Austin I'm thinking the best options would be Port Lavaca, Port A, or even Galveston/Kemah. Any guidance y'all can offer here would be appreciated.

I love the idea of a meetup but until we have a boat (other than our 22) we're limited.

PS, Oceangirl, I dig y'all blog
ErBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 09:35   #112

Thanks erbrown

Be sure, since you are in Austin, to check out the boats that are for sail on lake Travis. It may take up to $3500 to get her to the sea, but they are fresh water and many owners very ready to sell because of the terrible lake level.

It is faster to drive to Kemah/clear lake then to Port A from Austin. We are moving back to Clear Lake from port A to get serious about our refit, and to have an easier drive to family and work.

You are so invited to the CF meet ups I've been recovering from my last bout of medical stuff. But I think I'll be ready to partay by late may early June.

Cheers
Erika
Old 17-04-2014, 09:33   #113

Boat: Mac 26X
With a $30k budget you should have lots of options. That's a LOT to us :-) not so much to others I know. Kemah area brokers may be a help, sailing Texas would be my first stop but you said no go eh?

For lesser dollars, a keen eye to Craig's list is a start. I sold a very nice, great sailing Irwin 28 a few years ago for $3800. And a little Canadian made Grampian for a grand. Very functional boats needn't cost a fortune, there are sooooo many!
Old 17-04-2014, 11:10   #114

Up to $6k is all im really willing to spend I have found some great lookin ones for that and under. Well I wont say just texas. Carribbean and north to Maine
Old 17-04-2014, 14:47   #115

<$6k is also doable. Just narrows the field a lot. Look for a 70s or 80s model with an Atomic 4. Some will talk down gas engines but there are 1000s out there. I loved mine, much cheaper than a boat with a diesel, dead simple to work on, all parts come from Napa.
Old 21-04-2014, 20:47   #116

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

I'm have a crew member who wants to go "outside" so I might sail from San Luis Pass to the Dike or Bolivar. The last time I did this it took all day, we got in at about 3 in the morning after leaving at 8am from the pass, but we only sailed with the main, we'd lost the Jib.

This time, I'll be better prepared, might get in at sunset, after leaving on the high tide at 5:00 am. Anyone like this plan.

Leave Saturday morning at 5:00 am sail along Galveston to either Bolivar or the Dike. After resting for a few hours Sail to Kemah Boardwalk for dinner, shopping and rest, then haul out Monday morning.
What do you think? Remember we're sailing a Potter, I usually putter around at 4-6 knots usually 4.
Old 21-04-2014, 21:05   #117

So you've done SLP before? I know that area well, surprised anyone would bring a Potter there. Do you fit under the bridge? Things are a lot shallower and changed since Ike.

So no, I don't like the plan. But if I'm off work I'll come watch! I could use some learning! I'm just a worrier I guess.
Old 22-04-2014, 04:43   #118

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

You know this would be no problem if TxDot or the US Army would dredge under the high part of the bridge. But of course they don't. My procedure is to motor beneath the bridge, pull up on the north bank beach, raise the Mast and motor out.

The exciting part comes when motoring out, where the channel varies from 20 feet to 1 foot near the outlet. I nearly lost the motor the first time through.

Also don't mount the rudder until well out, else it might be broken.
Old 22-04-2014, 06:13   #119

Boat: Slocum 43

That's a long slog from slp to clear lake with or without a rest stop. For me, slp is too unpredictable and risky but if you've done it before, enjoy the time. Obviously it will be weather dependent.

Between family obligations, etc I've been out if touch but right now I'm starting to plan an offetts Memorial Day weekend. I may have another boat with me. We're discussing it now. If I do go, I may bring my daughter and a friend if hers. Haven't decided yet, or asked my daughter. If she doesn't go I'll be doing my usual single handing.
Pirate999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 06:19   #120

Boat: Slocum 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBrown View Post
We're also looking for a decent boat to learn on. In our price range (~30k) we'll definitely be sticking with a mono and are looking for something we can get offshore with but also nothing so small that it feels like camping. Our main goal is to get start getting out building some coastal experience. I've had limited luck locating crewing opportunities which is really where we'd like to start but after our upcoming ASA 103/104 classes (late May) will likely start looking seriously for something both affordable and functional. I've had limited luck with the yachtworld and sailingtexas sites. Any other suggestions for where to hunt via the web? We're still not even sure where we'd keep her, since we live in Austin I'm thinking the best options would be Port Lavaca, Port A, or even Galveston/Kemah. Any guidance y'all can offer here would be appreciated.

I love the idea of a meetup but until we have a boat (other than our 22) we're limited.

PS, Oceangirl, I dig y'all blog
Since your already familiar with Catalina, your price range would put you into a nice 30 or 34' Catalina. Both very nice, comfortable and coastal capable. I actually sailed a 30 from NOLA back to Galveston. Many participate in the harvest moon and other events. Yeah, for a production boat, I like the Catalina's over Hunters, etc.
Pirate999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, rum, texas