Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2014, 15:47   #16

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Catalina or Hunter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolagal View Post
We are from New Orleans and sail a 42 ft Hunter Passage CC. We've been to the Keys and the Bahamas several times. In 2012 we left for the Western Caribbean and spent until Feb of this year mainly sailing Belize, Mexico, Rio Dulce. There were many Hunters in Placencia harbour last winter. Sizes ranged from 34 - 53 I think. Most of our Canadian friends were sailing Hunter 37s (or is it 38s). They'd all sailed down from Canada (not together) and around the Caribbean before landing in Placencia and Rio Dulce. They all loved their boats. We didn't see many Catalinas, don't know why. We are now in the E Caribbean. So having only cruised on our Hunter I can only say she's lovely.

S/V WAHOO
Finally a post which doesn't begin with "a friend told me, I never owned either but, I once sailed one, etc...

Having owner both at different times in my "former life", I found no real difference except aesthetically. Despite what the internet experts profess, the name plate on the side has little bearing on how the OP describes his intended use. Either will suffice well assuming the one of choice is a well maintained boat.

If I had to choose between the two, The Legend series Hunters are among the best, have a backstay for those conservatives among us and sail well on just the main. Their hull shape favors more upwind sailing compared with the Catalinas and the flat bottom Bene's and the new Hunter corp. has reason to care about customer feedback now more than ever which usually results in better service should you ever need it. My experience with Catalina service was, as my mom used to say, ---if you can't say something nice,...
Old 11-09-2014, 22:14   #17

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

I like Catalina personally, but a good hunter will likely serve your needs. I do think Catalinas are well built, and sail nicely.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:47   #18
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSmith View Post
Yeah, yeah, I know, most of you will shout "NEITHER!" But let's skip that part. Here's my thing. After years of chartering, I'm buying and planning to live aboard. The parameters of that are these: $50k boat budget. 34-36 boat length. Beamy enough to be comfortable below. That said, I've narrowed the search down to Catalina and Hunter 34-36s. Which direction should I go?

Let the production boat bashing begin.
No need to bash these production boats, their reputation proceeds them. Why settle for a run of the mill production boat when with a 50K budget and a serious look you could find an older quality boat in your price range.

It is a buyers market....

BZT
Old 12-09-2014, 05:48   #19

Boat: Catalina 310

My Bride and I live on our Catalina 310. So you can tell where my allegiances may lie.

However, in your price range I would probably be looking at a Hunter. A big plus for us on live-ability is having a centerline, walk-around queen master berth. Our Catalina has it in the forward berth. You could also get one in the Catalina 350 but both the 310 and 350 are out of your price range (310~$65K; 350~$100K).

For Catalinas in your price range you would be looking at 34 and 36. You might be able to find a MK II but most likely you would be looking at an MK I. That means no walk through transom, probably no windless, smaller anchor locker, etc. Very nice sailing boats but I think the live-ability of the 34 and 36 MK I's is not that great compared to some other boats in your price range.

(I know I will get knocked for looking at live-ability more than sailing performance but with the type of cruising you are talking about, the same type we are leaving to do next year, I believe its a big factor. You will spend upwards of 85% of your time living on the boat compared to sailing it. I would rather have something that fits my use the majority of the time than the minority. This is just my opinion and I am sure others will say different.)

But within your budget you could find a Hunter Legend 37. Nice aft cabin with a centerline, walk-around queen. Good size head. Good storage. Walk-through transom. And you get one with less than 5 foot draft which would be good for the Bahamas.

Just my thoughts. Good luck and fair winds,

Jesse
Old 12-09-2014, 05:50   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZT54 View Post
Why settle for a run of the mill production boat when with a 50K budget and a serious look you could find an older quality boat in your price range.

It is a buyers market....

BZT
That is exactly, why and how I ended up with my IP, same money, but since she is older I think she will depreciate less.
Old 13-09-2014, 05:58   #21

Which ever one is in good shape and will need less repairs.
I am a Hunter owner and cruise with catalina all the time so which one
has been well maintained is the one to go with.
I love my 07 H-36 and so does my wife but it's too new for your budget,no matter which one you choose will always need repairs for older sailboat.
Just see which one is in the best of shape,yes swept back spreader on most new hunter and older ones but they have proved to be strong rigs.
Nick
Old 13-09-2014, 06:38   #22

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Catalina or Hunter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSmith View Post
Yeah, yeah, I know, most of you will shout "NEITHER!" ... Let the production boat bashing begin.
I missed the bashing. I love that part.

With 50k, real money IMO, there are sooo many boats to choose from. Cannot imagine why you'd limit yourself to just those two brands unless you're already thinking about speed of resale. The world has gone crazy if you are looking at a 36 footer as a "starter" boat.

But since you are asking on this forum, why not consider which forum posters have which brand of boat? If you've been following along for awhile, you'll have some sense of who knows what. My own take on that would favor the Catalina owner/posters by far altho I suspect there are some real good sailors on here with Hunters but I just don't know who they are. Perhaps not.

Bottom line is for the Bahamas, the choice doesn't matter much. The Caribe is the real ocean where boat integrity and strength may someday really matter.
Old 13-09-2014, 06:40   #23

Quote:
No need to bash these production boats, their reputation proceeds them. T
I forgot to add that one to my list of excuses.
Old 13-09-2014, 07:58   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
That is exactly, why and how I ended up with my IP, same money, but since she is older I think she will depreciate less.
Not only that but you wound up with a world class cruising boat. People tend to jump into things without giving it sufficient time or a serious look. With 50K as your budget the OP could find an older quality boat that's a keeper.

Off course their are those that do not know the difference and base their choice on interior layouts rather than seaworthiness.

BZT
Old 13-09-2014, 08:07   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
I forgot to add that one to my list of excuses.
Excuses? OP, just read the Catalina and Hunter owners forums before you buy. Maybe S/V Illusion did and that's why he wound up with an Alden.

Then again, he just may have a big wallet?

BZT
Old 13-09-2014, 08:12   #26

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

There is a Catalina 36 in Virginia up for sale on ebay, no reserve, latest bid is $9,500
no personal connection to this boat; just passing it on. Sometimes people just need to sell fast and you get a deal, sometimes they are dogs.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Old 13-09-2014, 08:14   #27

Try to buy one that has a good website. The C34 and C36 websites are awesome. Everything that ever needed to be repaired or replaced has been written about, saving YOU from reinventing the wheel. Hunters may have those resources.

The C34 has the largest V berth of any boat in that size range. The aft cabin is used by some, but most of us have turned it into a "garage."

While you're looking compare the hardware on similarly sized boats.

Happy hunting, good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 13-09-2014, 09:10   #28

Quote:
Excuses? OP, just read the Catalina and Hunter owners forums before you buy. Maybe S/V Illusion did and that's why he wound up with an Alden.

Then again, he just may have a big wallet?

BZT
I already said I've owned both (Catalina and Hunter). Reading the owners forums is a good suggestion - almost all good comments ( compared with here where most don't/haven't owner either). The moral of that story is...
Old 13-09-2014, 09:49   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
I already said I've owned both (Catalina and Hunter). Reading the owners forums is a good suggestion - almost all good comments ( compared with here where most don't/haven't owner either). The moral of that story is...
Moral of the story... Hmm ... 50K to invest.... Penny wise (quality boat), dollar foolish (Hunter, Catalina).

BZT
Old 13-09-2014, 09:55   #30

Quote:
Moral of the story... Hmm ... 50K to invest.... Penny wise (quality boat), dollar foolish (Hunter, Catalina).

BZT
Not really for a 34-36 footer. 50K, 75% in the boat, 25% for fixits, it's a good choice for "up to" the Bahamas. Going further afield would be questionable on THAT SIZE boat, H or C (BOTH H & C make larger boats with heavier systems, i. e., I don't confuse a C34 with a C42 or 470, nor should Hunter owners confuse an H36 with an H49!). Based on my 16 years experience with ours, the fixed portlights are NOT up to the task, nor are the opening portlights. To do that upgrade would require more $$.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Closed Thread

Tags
catalina, hunter