Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2019, 20:39   #1

pirate steel yachts

hi guys how about some advise on buying ,maintaince types,for offshore do,s and donts,ect
rogue trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2019, 22:58   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: steel yachts

Steel boats often rust from the inside out.

Only buy a steel boat where you can at least eyeball every last bit of the internal steel. Even better if the fit out allows for the "furniture" to be removed for access as required over the life of the boat.

Disclaimer - I'm biassed, my first sailboat was steel
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2019, 23:56   #3

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Our boat is steel and we built her ourselves. She is now 30 yrs old. On a recent inspection, the only rust found was behind the galley stove where a leaky window had been sneakily dripping for years.
Inside preparation is crucial and there should be no pooling of water. If that is all good, expect little trouble, but it is really important to be able to inspect the inside hull pretty well.
If anything looks suss, just move on!

Regards,
Richard
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 02:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Steel boats often rust from the inside out.

Only buy a steel boat where you can at least eyeball every last bit of the internal steel. Even better if the fit out allows for the "furniture" to be removed for access as required over the life of the boat.

Disclaimer - I'm biassed, my first sailboat was steel

I don't that is possible, the only way to check for rust is an ultrasound test which measures the thickness of the steel. The only way to fix rust and stop it returning is to sandblast and paint it with Zinc rich epoxy.
Michael Cobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 02:32   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Michael,

Welcome aboard!

I’m sorry but I have to disagree strongly with your first post but I do. Ultra sound does indeed measure steel thickness but the rust developed in rather small patches, often where some water has been pooling for a long time. Along stringers, etc. Most ultrasound surveys are done on a grid that is far too large to assure you would measure any weak spots. Further some surveyors require you to sand off the paint to the steel to get a good reading, so you end up with a 150 or so places to repair the paint.

I have 2 steel boats and have replaced a few pieces of plate and had several ultrasounds. The ultrasounds have yet to detect a bad spot. All problem areas were located visually in inspection.

Ultra sound is valuable once you have a suspect area to test it and see just how thin it is. I have even recently bought my own ultrasound tester for just this purpose. However I still strongly claim that a good flashlight, hammer, stout screwdriver and bad attitude are by far the most effective evaluation tools.

IMHO the below listed book will get someone started in what is involved in steel boat inspection and maintenance. I recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/Metal-boat-ma.../dp/B0070QRME4
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 15:31   #6

thanks people noted,
Old 17-12-2019, 15:43   #7

also any recomended types ect boden,bollard,boro temptress.john pugh,buchanan,bruce roberts,34 prefer 34ft to 39/40ft
Old 17-12-2019, 16:16   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

^^ well I have always liked Van de Stadt designs.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 16:52   #9

any thoughs on which is the better sailer and their,individual quirks,perhaps
Old 17-12-2019, 18:16   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue trader View Post
any thoughs on which is the better sailer and their,individual quirks,perhaps
That is a very subjective question as all designs have their Pros and Cons to suit individual priorities.

In a liveaboard,...... is speed or space more valued?

Key issues with steel begins with build execution so be wary of backyard projects from a one-off builder.

As others have noted, the life of a steel boat is based on the quality of its coatings on the INSIDE and regular maintenance to keep the water out.

My own boat has the advantage of being built of Corten steel and built professionally in Holland 39 years ago where the builder protected the inside shell and deck house extremely well.
No rust issues to date except for non corten pipe section by the outside rail stantions.

She is not fast, not slow, but I see her as a comfortable live aboard motor sailor that provides a strong level of safety in poorly charted remote tropical waters, where hull integrity is my priority if I screw up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sail8.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	205284
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 19:37   #11

No experience but if 34 is a possibility then the Van De Stadt 34 has an extremely good reputation as a sailing boat, good fit out plan for size and built without stringers to trap moisture inside.
You sound like you're in Aus by the Aussie designers listed? There are generally a few V D Stadts on sale regularly and some appear to have been done well.
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 20:12   #12

would that be steel or glass,i do see some in glass but do favor steel for areas new guinea solomons ect living in perth and actually a kiwi
Old 17-12-2019, 20:14   #13

ps whats the corten steel advantage over other steel?thanks
Old 17-12-2019, 21:23   #14
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Weathering steel, often referred to by the*genericized trademark*COR-TEN steel*and sometimes written without the hyphen as*corten steel, is a group of*steel alloys*which were developed to eliminate the need for painting, and form a stable*rust-like appearance after several years' exposure to weather.
U.S. Steel*holds the*registered trademark*on the name COR-TEN.[1]*The name COR-TEN refers to the two distinguishing properties of this type of*steel:*corrosion*resistance and*tensile strength.[2]*Although USS sold its discrete plate business to*International Steel Group*(now*ArcelorMittal) in 2003,[3]*it still sells COR-TEN branded material in strip-mill plate and sheet forms.
The original COR-TEN received the standard designation A242 (COR-TEN A) from the*ASTM International*standards group. Newer ASTM grades are A588 (COR-TEN B) and A606 for thin sheet. All alloys are in common production and use.
The surface oxidation of weathering steel takes six months, but surface treatments can accelerate the oxidation to as little as two hours.[4]

In 1933 the*United States Steel Corporationdeveloped and patented a steel with exceptional mechanical resistance, primarily for use in railroad*hopper cars, for the handling of heavy*bulk loadsincluding coal, metal*ores, other mineral products and*grain.[5]*The controlled corrosion for which this material is now best known was a welcome benefit discovered soon after, prompting USS to apply the trademarked name Cor-Ten. Because of its inherent toughness, this steel is still used extensively for bulk transport and storage containers.[6]
Railroad passenger cars were also being built with Cor-Ten, albeit painted, by*Pullman-Standard*for the*Southern Pacific*from 1936,[7]*continuing through commuter coaches for the*Rock Island Line*in 1949.[8]

Weathering*refers to the chemical composition of these steels, allowing them to exhibit increased resistance to atmospheric corrosion compared to other steels. This is because the steel forms a protective layer on its surface under the influence of the weather.
The corrosion-retarding effect of the protective layer is produced by the particular distribution and concentration of alloying elements in it. The layer protecting the surface develops and regenerates continuously when subjected to the influence of the weather. In other words, the steel is allowed to rust in order to form the protective coating.[9]
Weathering steel grade chemical composition (excl. iron) by weight (%)[10]GradeCSiMnPSCrCuVNiASTM A2420.120.25–0.750.20–0.500.01–0.200.0300.50–1.250 .25–0.550.65ASTM A5880.160.30–0.500.80–1.250.0300.0300.40–0.650.25– 0.400.02–0.100.40
The mechanical properties of weathering steels depend on which alloy and how thick the material is.[11][12]

ASTM A242Edit

The original A242 alloy has a*yield strength*of 50*kilopounds per square inch*(340*MPa) and*ultimate tensile strength*of 70*ksi (480*MPa) for light-medium rolled shapes and plates up to 0.75 inches (19*mm) thick. It has yield strength of 46*ksi (320*MPa) and ultimate strength of 67*ksi (460*MPa) for medium weight rolled shapes and plates from 0.75–1 inch (19–25*mm) thick. The thickest rolled sections and plates – from 1.5–4*in (38–102*mm) thick have yield strength of 42*ksi (290*MPa) and ultimate strength of 63*ksi (430*MPa). ASTM A 242 is available in Type 1 and Type 2. Both have different applications based on the thickness. Type 1 is often used in housing structures, construction industry and freight cars.[13]The Type 2 steel which is also called Corten B is used majorly in urban furnishing, passenger ships or cranes.[14]

ASTM A588Edit

A588 has a yield strength of at least 50*ksi (340*MPa), and ultimate tensile strength of 70*ksi (480*MPa) for all rolled*shapes*and plate thicknesses up to 4*in (100*mm) thick. Plates from 4–5*in (102–127*mm) have yield strength at least 46*ksi (320*MPa) and ultimate tensile strength at least 67*ksi (460*MPa), and plates from 5–8*in (127–203*mm) thick have yield strength at least 42*ksi (290*MPa) and ultimate tensile strength at least 63*ksi (430*MPa).
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 03:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue trader View Post
would that be steel or glass,i do see some in glass but do favor steel for areas new guinea solomons ect living in perth and actually a kiwi
Steel ones use slightly heavier steel than some other designs and shaped so they don't require stringers...there will be at least one for sale on Boatpoint.
Fit-out will vary in finish of course, some were professionally built. Very popular in Aus, some in aluminium too, haven't seen many for sale in NZ.
Good if you don't need masses of space, want something that can sail ok and where the fittings, sails and loads are easily handled by a couple or singlehander.
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steel, yacht