Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2019, 15:36   #1

Panama or Costa Rica to get to Caribbean?

Hello everyone,

My name is Chris and I've been travelling around the world by bicycle for a number of years. I don't fly and would like to visit the Caribbean if possible, continuing my no-airplane rule. My plan was to crew on sailing boats, but I'm worried because obviously the hurricane season is going to make things very difficult!

My first question is how can I get to the Caribbean!? I'm currently cycling in Nicaragua and I'm thinking that I will try and find a boat in Limon, Costa Rica, or in Colon, Panama, that is heading for Jamaica or Cuba. Does anyone think those are good places to look, and which is the best option? Are boats heading that way at this time of year? I can get to Limon by 20th April. Would there be any other ports that would be better?

Secondly, if I do make it up to the north Caribbean, are there still going to be boats sailing south through the islands in May, so close to the hurricane season? What about in June?

Any help or advice about finding boats would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris_Pountney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 19:05   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Panama or Costa Rica to get to Caribbean?

Few cruising boats visit Costa Rica's Carib coast. Way more visit Panama. They cluster around Bocas del Toro, Shelter Bay Marina (near Colon), Portobelo, Linton Bay, and the San Blas islands.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 21:00   #3

Thanks for the reply. I am now in Bocas del Toro waiting for the offers to start rolling in...

Also would still love to hear people's thoughts on Caribbean boat traffic through May and June?

Thanks
Chris_Pountney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 04:01   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Chris.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, Costa Rica, Panama, rib