Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2015, 12:00   #1

Sail inventory on a Catalina 22?

So I found a Catalina 22 for sale and seeming as I couldn't find one anywhere and it seemed perfect I jumped for joy when I found one. It has a battened mainsail and a furling Genoa - 110 jib. Is this what most people carry on a Catalina 22 or am I missing something important?

The crash of waves and salty air are the signs of freedom
MermaidIndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 12:21   #2

Re: Sail inventory on a Catalina 22?

I'd start with those and use them. Then decide if you need a bigger jib in your local area for light winds or not.
Does the main have reef points? I would want at least one.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 12:58   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I had 4 sails for my Catalina 22. I didn't use the spinnaker more than a couple times so wouldn't recommend getting one unless you are really into them. I had a main with a double reef. A working jib with a single reef and about a 135 genoa. It was plenty.
As Cheechako said just use what you have and then upgrade as you gain more experience.

Used Sails from Second Wind Sails is a good place to shop for sails as well as Bacon and Associates. I've had good luck with both.
Old 27-05-2015, 12:59   #4

I'm not sure about the reefing points yet, I'm going to see the boat this weekend

The crash of waves and salty air are the signs of freedom
MermaidIndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 08:38   #5

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

110 on a furler sounds good to me. Unless you sail mostly in a very light wind area (Like Toronto, Canada), that should be plenty. If you are sailing alone, a smaller sail is easier to handle, gives better visibility forward, and induces less heel...all very important when sailing alone. A small jib and full main, properly trimmed, will only be slightly less fast than a huge jib, which will likely have you spilling your wind as you heel over and whale on the tiller.

I used to race Sonars (Kirby design small keelboat). In one particular race, it was blowing 20 knots. I had a single reef in the main, and my smallest jib. The other boats laughed, including another Sonar with a full main and big jib, who was heeled over and rail down. Needless to say, several other boats incurred mishaps, damage, and exhausted (frightened) crews, and retired from the race. I was one of the few boats that completed the race, and came in 2nd on corrected time. I am a fan of small sails, reefing early, and sailing safe. If I can see the bottom paint on your keel, you aren't doing it right.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 08:42   #6

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

If the main has no or one reef band, get a sailmaker to sew in two reef bands with reef points (grommets? and nettles (string thingies). Never put up a sq.in. of sail you don't need.The Caitlin a 22 was one of the best Catalina produced, a long with the 27 and 34 This is where I should put IMHO.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 09:30   #7

Before you even think of buying a larger headsail, follow the advice so far andf then try this:

A very illuminating and interesting discussion on co.com for those of you who might be in the market for a new jib.

Big Jib or Small Jib - SailboatOwners.com

Please read all three pages. Enjoy.

There is also a very active Catalina 22 discussion group at CatalinaOwners.com - Home
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 11:00   #8

Boat: Leopard 43

I have been racing Catalina 22's for 20 years. They boat is both under-powered and tender. The tender part is because of the retractable keel which is only 18" wide. Most folks are using a 150 Genoa and a 110. You will need the 150 until the winds are above 15 - 18. You can use a 110 with a full main from 18 - 25. Over that, you will want to reef the main.

The boat is great for trailer sailing and as a general lake/in-shore boat. It is rugged and there are lots available for cheap. If you get interested in racing, it has a good national class association and lots of local clubs. Check out catalina22.org. I hope you enjoy it.
tedowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 13:03   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedowens View Post
I have been racing Catalina 22's for 20 years. They boat is both under-powered and tender. The tender part is because of the retractable keel which is only 18" wide. Most folks are using a 150 Genoa and a 110. You will need the 150 until the winds are above 15 - 18. You can use a 110 with a full main from 18 - 25. Over that, you will want to reef the main.

The boat is great for trailer sailing and as a general lake/in-shore boat. It is rugged and there are lots available for cheap. If you get interested in racing, it has a good national class association and lots of local clubs. Check out catalina22.org. I hope you enjoy it.
Yup, you're a racer alright! I got along with a 135 on my fin keeler even while racing. Back in those days (early 80s) there weren't many roller furlers.

Tags
catalina, sail