Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2017, 06:00   #1

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Seattle to Hawaii with a Brit

We are launching for Hawaii from the Seattle area around August 1. The boat is Washington State registered and is owned by a lady with dual citizenship, Polish and British I think. I'm a yank. She will fly into Seattle. We will be sailing from the US to the US so do we need any official paperwork? Cruising permit? Check in at Hawaii? We will not be stopping in Canada btw.

Thanks everyone.
Old 14-07-2017, 18:54   #2

Re: Seattle to Hawaii with a Brit

I called the Coast Guard and the gentleman I talked to never heard of a cruising permit. I called customs and they said the same thing. I left a message with a different CG office but haven't heard back.

Does anybody know if a cruising permit is for a foreign owned boat or for any boat with non US citizens on it?
Old 14-07-2017, 18:59   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

The permit is only for a foreign flagged boat; visitors may or may not need a visa but that's it
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 19:26   #4

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

What Scott said.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 12:05   #5

I am a Canadian, I kept my boat in PT Roberts. In Washington. It is state registered in Oregon.
Sailing from Oregon to Washington. or back No problem, I cross the border, I answer US Border guards questions.
Where you going. To the marina going sailing, Response have a nice day. Enjoy your trip.
My mum is British, She comes to Visit. We go down to Pt Roberts.
No problem. She has to go into office and fill out a card for 6 months as a visitor to US, after we go back and forth.
Border Guard waves ask how my mum is doing is she enjoying her holiday.
We can sail all the way down the coast to Oregon or even California.
We can cross by boat in to Canada and back into Washington we have to go to Port of Entry. No problem.

I asked, All no problem so long as I do not leave US waters after entry.

To get to Hawwii I would have to leave US waters and cross international waters before returning to US waters.

I can do it in an airplane from Seattle or Belingham.
They have different rules for
Planes, trains automobiles and boats.

I was told I would have to Leave US and re-enter US in Hawaii.
As a Canadian it would not be a problem.
My mum being British does not need a visa to enter us by plane or car and
provided she has the 6 month card it was ok to enter by boat.

Sorry not a complete answer, Its a bit complicated and I would advise She has a chat with US Border and tells them exactly what her plans are.
They will probably give her the same card which will allow her to make entry into US by land or boat for 6 months.

As a Canadian. I can't own a US registered boat. I can own A state registered boat. No special permit just the same Green Washington State permit on the bow, All boats resident in Washington, I got it along with my Marina Fee.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 13:17   #6

Boat: Boatless

Hawaii gets an August tropical storm or hurricane on average every three years. I postponed my own trip to Hawaii when a breakdown made it impossible for me to be in and out before mid-June.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 07:17   #7

Thanks everyone, I thought the cruising permit was for the boat and not the person. I think we will be OK although I'm still waiting for that phone call from the Customs guy. Still waiting........

Hurricanes are a concern. The boat owner is a RYA captain with the highest rating available and she has a friend that does weather routing. We will be getting daily updates. Fingers crossed.
Old 16-07-2017, 11:28   #8

Boat: Tartan T4400

You do need to check in with the Hawaii Department of Agriculture
Plant Industry Division | Traveling from the U.S. Mainland to Hawaii

They may or may not come to the boat. I called and check in answered a few questing and was told no one would come to the boat.
Old 16-07-2017, 11:40   #9

The AG people will want to know about fruit, veggies and eggs. I arrived with half a dozen eggs left over and the AG guy said it would have been better if we had thrown them overboard before arriving. If arriving from outside of the US, I believe that all meat, fresh or canned must be surrendered. Not sure if that rule is still in effect. They are very strict on pets. Have a good trip. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 18:14   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Bob why is it going to take you so long to get there ?
These guys did it a little bit faster than you will.
https://northsails.com/sailing/en/20...ranspac-record
Old 21-07-2017, 16:28   #11

Rob/Newhaul you are phunny. Rob went sailing with me on the tri ysterday and it was pretty zippy. We did 11.5 mph!

I talked to the 7th person about the cruising permit. He said that because the boat is only state registered it is in effect "undocumented" with no country or flag. He said that the boat ownership and documentation would then be the same as the owner. And he said she needs a cruising permit.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 21-07-2017, 16:41   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Rob/Newhaul you are phunny. Rob went sailing with me on the tri ysterday and it was pretty zippy. We did 11.5 mph!

I talked to the 7th person about the cruising permit. He said that because the boat is only state registered it is in effect "undocumented" with no country or flag. He said that the boat ownership and documentation would then be the same as the owner. And he said she needs a cruising permit.

I'll keep you posted.
Bob I rechecked my gps settings and it was k.ots not mph so we did better than you were thinking
Old 21-07-2017, 17:12   #13

Boat: Nicholson 38

We arrived in Hilo after departing Washington State last summer. On arrival in late July, we hailed CG and were told we did not need to do anything when arriving from the mainland. They thanked us for the call and told us we were clear. No Agriculture. No nothing.

This was Hilo, and Hilo is like a place out of the 50s. Might be very different in Oahu.

Actually, we did get on TV because we arrived 12 hours before Hurricane Darby was due to hit Hilo, and one of the local TV stations filmed the bay where we were anchored. Winds were steady in the high 20s and gusted to max 35 once.

Just a note about the weather - we departed late June, and had to deal with the crap from four hurricanes that spun up once we were 300 miles offshore. They forced us to stay quite far north for most of the trip, so we really never saw the trades, and we almost always had crap confused waves and swells. It was pretty hard and cold. Right now Hurricanes Fernanda and Greg are spinning up just like Celia and Darby did last year. It took us 28 days.

Tags
hawaii, seattle