Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2017, 07:25   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 523 (2005)
Clearing customs with temporary running papers

Hi all - about to complete the purchase of a boat in St. Lucia. I have everything set (with the help of a documentation firm) to apply for USGC documentation. They are providing me with "temporary running papers", but of course the official documentation will take several weeks.

I would like to move her from St. Lucia to Tortola, where she will lie until I receive USGC documentation. My hope is to fly to St. Lucia in a week, complete the transaction, get my temporary running papers a couple days later (waiting for de-flagging), sail to Tortola and leave her there.

My question is this: Has anybody tried to clear customs (especially in St. Lucia) on running papers (full proof of ownership, but no registration/documentation) and then enter customs again (especially in BVI, Soper's Hole Tortola)?

I'm guessing this is a nightmare waiting to happen, but it would save me a bunch of time and money not having to depart and return.

Thanks for the advice!

Chris
Unity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 08:03   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Clearing customs with temporary running papers

I would think the broker maybe the best person to advise you.
However when you get to St Lucia go to Customs and get advice. Rodney bay the people are pretty good.

As for the BVIs I can only laugh at you. They can be extremely aggressive to people with perfect paperwork. I can just see the Customs guy taking it as an utter personal insult that you belittle the sovereignty of his Nation by attempting it.

But, of course, it might be done all the time. Perhaps a phone call to Sunsail/Moorings sales office in Florida, or a broker in Tortola.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 05:29   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Chris.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 09:59   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Actually it ain't a problem. Leaving SLU, they'll be delighted to see you go and arrival in bvi presents no problem on temporary papers - I've done it many a time. The only thing to remember about bvi is that if you intend to leave her there for over a month, then the T12 Temporary Importation form must be completed together with the fee of $201 bucks (the 1 dollar is for the form!) This then allows you to leave the boat there for a year. If you need any help in bvi, pm me. Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customs