Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2019, 11:59   #1

Boat: Ta Chiao 56
Looking for a cruiser with headroom

I'm a year from retirement, and we're starting to look at bigger boats. We're going to rent out or sell the house and move aboard. We want the ability to do a fair amount of cruising, possibly to include ocean crossing.

I was really liking the Tayana 47, a Robert Perry design with a good reputation, and went to look at one locally. Standing next to it on the dock, it looked like more than enough boat for the two of us. But once inside, we found it fell short, as in not enough headroom. The aft master berth is beautiful, but I had to doff my flip-flops to clear the headliner, and the Admiral is an inch taller than me at 6-2.

I'd love to hear recommendations for boats in similar size range that have a wee bit more headroom.

TIA,
Kent
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 12:10   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Looking for a cruiser with headroom

Hi Kent, you're right up the coast from me! Do you have other considerations like type of boat or age? The ones that pop to mind for me are the Columbia 50 and 43, since I have been in the 43. The berth lengths is also important, as I am sure you know. Sometimes folks don't lie down in a prospective boat to get a feel for them. Ya going out to the islands this summer?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 12:18   #3

Boat: Norseman 447cc

Getting that much headroom through the entire boat will be tough. Our Norseman center cockpit has plenty in the galley and saloon, forward cabin is tight for me at 6'. Aft cabin I have probably 2" or 3" above my head, the aft shower is tight, you may have to duck a bit and there are some spots that are just above eye level for me that I have a habit of bumping my head into but I had this problem on nearly every boat I looked at. You would also likely have to duck to let the boom swing overhead, cabin space isn't the only consideration you'll need to make. Check out the CT series of boats, also designed by Perry and built by Ta Chaio, Ketch rigged with a good bit of headroom below. Another option could be an Irwin Ketch.
svspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 12:19   #4

This thread may help:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oom-20354.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 13-06-2019, 15:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Hi Kent, you're right up the coast from me! Do you have other considerations like type of boat or age? The ones that pop to mind for me are the Columbia 50 and 43, since I have been in the 43. The berth lengths is also important, as I am sure you know. Sometimes folks don't lie down in a prospective boat to get a feel for them. Ya going out to the islands this summer?
Hi Don, the 47 we looked at is in CIH at Seacoast. Yes, hope to get out to at least Prisoners for a weekend or two, and hopefully further out. Maybe Catalina for Buccaneer days

As to boat type, we're necessarily restricting our search to monos, though an outstanding deal on a 10-20 year old cat would certainly get our attention. Beyond the cost, I don't like the polars on any cat we could come close to affording. Age? I'd rather not get anything older than half my age, so late 80s or newer.
Old 13-06-2019, 16:06   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

On one occasion, a potential client was sitting in a Learjet mock-up and complained to Bill Lear that he couldn’t stand up.
Bill Lear replied,
“You’re absolutely right, and you can’t stand up in your f — ing Rolls-Royce either, so if you want to be able to stand up, walk around, and fly three times slower, then buy yourself a DC-3.”

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 16:12   #7

Spirited, thanks. I'm not talking about the whole boat, though that would be nice. The Norseman was another design I pondered, so thanks for the info! The CTs are interesting, but would want one of the bigger models, and there don't seem to be any on the west coast, save for one in Washington with wooden masts.
All things considered, I'd prefer a sloop over a ketch.
Old 13-06-2019, 16:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
On one occasion, a potential client was sitting in a Learjet mock-up and complained to Bill Lear that he couldn’t stand up.
Bill Lear replied,
“You’re absolutely right, and you can’t stand up in your f — ing Rolls-Royce either, so if you want Ito be able to stand up, walk around, and fly three times slower, then buy yourself a DC-3.”
Thanks, Gord, but I can't tell you hogw many times I've hit my head on things I didn't have any choice about. Had more concussions than an NFL lineman, without ever playing football.
I'm 62 now, and I want to still be sailing at 82, so I'll keep looking.

Besides, as I said, Admiral Megan is an inch taller than me, so even if I didn't mind too much, well, you know.
Old 14-06-2019, 09:20   #9

Boat: Oday 25

I had a Columbia 43 (1970) with lots of headroom throughout and the 50' has also.
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 09:30   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsail View Post
I had a Columbia 43 (1970) with lots of headroom throughout and the 50' has also.
Yeah too old though I guess.. but if it were me and I found a good 50.. ahh I'd be suffering great temptations.....
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 14-06-2019, 10:14   #11

Boat: Gulfstar 44 CC

Hi Kent, Headroom was a major consideration for our 6 foot plus family when we were searching the East coast 10 years ago. We looked at a bunch of used boats available and fell in love with our Gulfstar 44 which has everything we could ask for in a comfortable cruising boat. No regrets.
Windwalker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 11:11   #12

Of possible consideration. Our boat is a Cal 2-46 listed on yachtworld.com by La Paz Yachts (note - the photos on lapazyachts.com website are chopped off/upper half only, so best to view on yachtworld.com):

Salon = 78"
Galley = 77"
Master Stateroom and Head = 75"
Engine room = 78"
Cockpit floor to hard top bimini = 78"
V-berth and Head = 71" (floor space of v-berth is only 23"x41" though).

The yacht was originally commissioned in 76 which we purchased from the original owner 15 years ago as a bare structure retrofit so the average age of all $500k of new subsystems is more like 10 years old. Boat is in Barra de Navidad, MX until summer 2020 when we will move her to La Paz. If interested she can be viewed currently via plane trip to Puerto Vallarta and a Premier Plus luxury bus trip (4 hr.)trip to Barra. She is in the Isla Navidad Resort and Marina, Colima, MZ (google to see the facility).
Jonathan Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 11:34   #13

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

We recently met a couple that purchased a 44 CSY I'm not exactly sure of the year, but it's an 80's boat. Anyway, I was shocked at how much head room is in that boat. We have a Hunter 42 passage and for us it has plenty of head room, but I could see it being an issue for someone that was over 6'. The CSY had enough headroom that I had to reach to touch the cabin top, I'm 5'8". I'm not sure what you are looking for in the rest of the boat, but as far as headroom is concerned these boats seem to have plenty.

Good luck,
sguerrero1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 12:43   #14

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

I am well pleased with my Irwin 46’ as far as headroom goes. You may find more 52’ers on the market though.
I feel your pain as I am famous for using my head as a hammer and I am just 5’11” tall now.
Old 14-06-2019, 15:28   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

Gulfstar 47 has 6 ' 4" everywhere i believe-- Irwin 52 also had a lot
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, head, headroom