Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2017, 07:20   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Too Deep Anchorages ???

I'm looking at coming down the ICW from SC to Florida and am looking at ActiveCaptain for anchorages. It just seems to me that good looking anchorages are getting unused and near as I can guess it's because they are "deep". When I say deep I mean 15-30, which isn't deep to me. Instead it seems people like to cut through some narrow 7' opening into a "nice" narrow anchorage where the water is 9' deep.

I don't get this "logic". To me it is much better to be in a 15-30' (I'm good with a 50' deep anchorage in settled conditions) spot with a wide area around it in case of a problem than it is to be in a 9-10' spot where you can spit to the shore. What difference does it make to me that I drop 150' of chain instead of 60'? Plus the closer to shore the more bugs get a free meal.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:45   #2

Re: Too Deep Anchorages ???

Statement sounds a bit generalized, maybe would help if you could cite a few specific examples.....
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:17   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

I don't know about the area north of JAX but to the south you are lucky to find 10'. It must be much different to the north because it's hard to get bug distance away from the shore on the east coast of FL unless you anchor down in the "dark side"somewhere. Another note about down in FL, the bottom mud is bad, good holding but you need a washdown pump or very little chain on the bottom.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:24   #4
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Statement sounds a bit generalized, maybe would help if you could cite a few specific examples.....
yes it is in general, is that some type of problem???

I was just reviewing the ICW section from Beaufort SC to Brunswick GA
Old 09-07-2017, 08:30   #5
cruiser

No bugs here.

I agree, it's nice to put some distance between the shore and us.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:40   #6

Whatever. Personally I don't put much stock in AC. It's fine but far and away the best anchorages we found in the Bahamas weren't on Active Captain. Maybe there is a correlation there, most people prefer to hang with the herd. Makes em feel safe...
Old 09-07-2017, 08:43   #7
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Whatever. Personally I don't put much stock in AC. It's fine but far and away the best anchorages we found in the Bahamas weren't on Active Captain. Maybe there is a correlation there, most people prefer to hang with the herd. Makes em feel safe...
By and far when I was in the Bahamas the best anchorages WERE on AC! Had nothing to do with whether there were a bunch boats there.

But then this has nothing to do with my initial post!
Old 09-07-2017, 08:44   #8

Boat: Hunter 30

I think ICW anchorage choices come down to good holding, wake avoidance, and bugs if you don't have a screened in cockpit. Whatever hits the most of the 3 choices is a good anchorage.
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
By and far when I was in the Bahamas the best anchorages WERE on AC! Had nothing to do with whether there were a bunch boats there.

Sorry, thought you were complaining in your OP that Active Captain anchorages were only in shallow water and didn't include any deep water spots. My bad for misconfusing you.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

Lighten up Francis!!!!????
Chris N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:19   #11

Do you have a windlass? I don't, and just moved to British Columbia from N. California. 12 feet to 30 feet makes a BIG difference to my arms & shoulders.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:21   #12

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Come on! If you need a guide to pick an anchorage for you, you need more time anchoring!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:27   #13

Boat: Pearson 530

Do you want my favorite fishing holes, too? Must be a reason the water is deep there since most of the waterway is less than 10.

All U Get
Old 09-07-2017, 10:28   #14
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
Come on! If you need a guide to pick an anchorage for you, you need more time anchoring!
really, such wisdom misplaced
Old 09-07-2017, 10:32   #15
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Do you have a windlass? I don't, and just moved to British Columbia from N. California. 12 feet to 30 feet makes a BIG difference to my arms & shoulders.
true thats a physical issue, in the last year of travel haven't seen many cruisers without a windlass and the few I have are on smaller boats that would only need lighter anchors and most were shallow draft

Tags
anchor, anchorages