Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2014, 13:43   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Beneteau vs. Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by manz View Post
I'm looking at two boats for future purchase. A Beneteau 49 or a Hunter 49. I'm trying to decide which would be best for my needs. I plan to be a live aboard for awhile and make a few long blue water passages. I'm also a 90% solo sailor. I really like both, the Hunter seems to be more comfortable for a live aboard, but the Beneteau seems to be faster with good accommodations as well. I'd like to get some feedback about sea worthiness and dependability. As far as options and price the boats are pretty equal. One reason I'm having trouble coming to a decision.
Both those boats are proven and will take you pretty much anywhere there aren't big icebergs and if you don't believe it start searching on cruising blogs (as opposed to forums when you will get the same answers from the same people you could have gotten by doing a website search).

Far as which to get, you should get the one that you like for doing what you will spend most of your time on the boat doing. If you "think" the Bene sails better and you plan to sail more that not when on the boat get it. If you think the Hunter has better living arrangement and think you will probably spend more overall time on the boat in port than sailing, get that.

For me I don't like the Bene interiors overall (there are model exceptions) so got a Hunter. It sails great, and even if it isn't as fast it is as fast as I'm going to make it go.

BTW - if you are interested in speed go check the ratings, but don't forget that you are talking a CRUISING boat.
Old 18-09-2014, 13:56   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post

Bigger is not always better. A Flicka 20, Nebe Cape 28, or a Albin Vega 27 are all extremely capable "bluewater" boats.
Just to go with the drift that was started with the quoted post; depending on what you are looking for maybe bigger isn't "better", but I bet anyone looking at a 49' boat doesn't care about any of these boats!
Old 18-09-2014, 15:00   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

As between Hunter and a Beneteau I don't think there is much difference over the line anymore. We liked the Beneteau's cockpit layout more, but it is very much personal preference.

Take a look at them both and you'll know which you like more. There isn't enough of a quality difference between them to matter.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 15:22   #19
cruiser

If you are considering a new hunter or beneteau in that size, take a look at a used Island Packet or Oyster in a similar size in the same price range.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 16:45   #20
cruiser

Hunter.
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 17:54   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
If you are considering a new hunter or beneteau in that size, take a look at a used Island Packet or Oyster in a similar size in the same price range.
Both fourty niners are out of production now, so we are talking used boats here, not old however
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 17:56   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Hunter.
Why? (For given by OP description of use?)
Old 18-10-2014, 18:02   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Just to go with the drift that was started with the quoted post; depending on what you are looking for maybe bigger isn't "better", but I bet anyone looking at a 49' boat doesn't care about any of these boats!
Your right, however, did you notice that he said 90% of the time he would be single handed? Single handling a 49' boat is not something many people can do competently, even with in mast furling and power winches. The OP mentioned he wanted to do blue water passages, and you ignored a very important part of my post:

Quote:
Capsize ratio and stability angle, comfort ratio, hull speed and other variables affect suitability to task. When comparing boats, consider these as coarse filters.
As you are aware, the more complicated the systems, the more single point of failures exist. Again, single handling a 49' boat in blue water relying on those systems is not something I would be comfortable in doing.
Old 18-10-2014, 18:51   #24
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Your right, however, did you notice that he said 90% of the time he would be single handed? Single handling a 49' boat is not something many people can do competently, even with in mast furling and power winches.

How would you know? Have you ever sailed a Hunter or a Beneteau? Haveyou ever single handed one? Have you ever saled a 49 footer? Have you ever single handed one?

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 18:56   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
How would you know? Have you ever sailed a Hunter or a Beneteau? Haveyou ever single handed one? Have you ever saled a 49 footer? Have you ever single handed one?

Mark
I said Hunter above...of course I now know of a certain badass Bene 393 that just came through a freakin' hurricane with nary a scratch! A lot to be said for that.

(And Double - stop baiting me dude.)
Old 18-10-2014, 19:07   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

Mark
Nope, haven't sailed anything larger than a Jeanneau 45 DS, with crew. With in mast furling and power winches, so I have at least some exposure. I know I would not want to do that alone. I saw the problem we had when the furling jammed, and although it got resolved fairly quickly, I know that is not something I would want to deal with by myself.

As I stated, I can't imagine many people being competent to single hand a 49' anything. I certainly am not.

That doesn't mean that there are some that have the competency, but would you want to? Especially in blue water?
Old 18-10-2014, 19:08   #27
cruiser

My posts seem to experience a lot of technical difficulties. I was saying that, even though I own a Hunter, I was really impressed that a certain Bene 393 came through a freakin' hurricane like a boss.

Well done Mark.
Old 18-10-2014, 19:08   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

(And Double - stop baiting me dude.)

I do not like fishing or hunting so You missed
Just do not understand so unconditional verdict for these two boats.
Personally I think they are both close runner-ups...

I need to think out my own choice.
Old 18-10-2014, 19:13   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
I do not like fishing or hunting so You missed
Just do not understand so unconditional verdict for these two boats.
Personally I think they are both close runner-ups...

I need to think out my own choice.
I think you might need to have a word with coops. I'm simply trying to talk to my buddies here. Cool?
Old 18-10-2014, 19:17   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Do You try to suggest I'm not allowed to post in this thread?
Or ask quite simple questions???

Tags
beneteau, hunter