Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2018, 09:52   #1

Boat: Lagoon 420
Seeking Crew for Florida to Puerto Rico Passage on Lagoon 420

Hello Sailors! I will be sailing my Lagoon 420 from eastern Florida in early/mid November bound for Fajardo, Puerto Rico. I’m reaching out to find competent and compatible crew to assist in keeping watch, galley duty and all things necessary for a safe, comfortable and pleasant cruise.

Given this route is almost totally to windward, flexibility and patience will be essential. I’ll take many of the routing suggestions from “The Gentleman’s Guide to Passages South: The Thornless Path to Windward” Bruce Van Sant. When progress ahead is stilled due to weather and/or sea conditions I’ll be seeking snorkeling holes, cozy anchorages, fun stopovers to await weather windows.

Once in Fajardo, PR I plan to begin charter operations in Dec/Jan and will offer paid positions accordingly. This may be a fine opportunity to discover a working fit if you're seeking a paid opportunity. That said, this passage will not be paid. Fuel and food will be paid by myself. Transportation to and from boat is also not paid.

If interested please provide a brief description of yourself, the skills/experiences you bring and anything you think is relevant. Extra consideration for those with diesel and/or electrical skills. Although the boat is in excellent condition, having a mate with seasoned mechanical abilities is preferred.

I am a 100 ton USCG Master Captain with 10 years sailing experience, a lifetime of boating experience and 2 years on this vessel. I retired from private practice as a psychotherapist in 2010 to sail full time. At 62, still in good health, I enjoy jazz, play a decent clarinet, love engaging conversation and humor all around the decks and docks.

Please Note: I am a fervent opponent of Trump and his administration. Even if you find favor with this president I will surely help you as if you were family in trouble at sea, however I would not prefer crew with such a wide difference of world views.
Old 16-09-2018, 10:44   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Seeking Crew for Florida to Puerto Rico Passage on Lagoon 420

@#$WOW! Just WOW!

So ”Republicans need not appy”.

Got a much of miles behind me, and of all the things I screen a crew for, of all the skills I need a crew to have—- having the same politics as me is not one of them.

Im not saying I love Donnie, but —— wow
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 16-09-2018, 11:39   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Have a good trip. Sounds like fun!

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Old 16-09-2018, 13:21   #4

Hello Captain -

My name is Will Pope - an artist and writer in Bozeman, Montana. I have a pretty wide CV - to include opening and running three restaurants, home inspection/building, writing in Hollywood (and just finished a first novel - the second one will come from sailing in the Caribbean and beyond) and raising two kids by making paintings. (I also used to to do spiritual counseling and aura balancing in Santa Fe.) I've been attracted to sailing for years and am reading all that I can to understand sailboat systems - though I have not much experience on the water. I'm able-bodied and a quick study. I've designed an online university for auto-didacts and will bring that in when I'm ready to dedicate to that full time. (you can check out my websites at willpope.com and popesextant.org.)

I'm a yellowdog democrat lifelong. An uncle was governor of Texas twice in the 30's and my grandfather was head of the SEC appointed by Joe Kennedy. Barack is a cousin, and I've painted his portrait twice.

I'm a good cook and conversationalist. Also a comedian during my Hollywood days - wrote and starred in a movie and had a Carol Burnett style comedy show in New Mexico for two seasons. I've had a very full life and done as my heart and mind dictated, and plan for more exciting adventures. After gaining my sea legs and good understanding of sailing I plan to buy a boat and share that with my children, now both in high school.

Let me know if my qualifications are well-rounded enough. I don't smoke, but I drink beer or wine. I don't enjoy drunkenness nor the affectations of excess.

I look forward to hearing from you - (actually whether or not I end up on your crew. The sailing life and seastories never get old - in fact I just re-read 'Sailing Alone Around the World' and am continually pulled by Neptune's magnet.)

Best to you,

Will Pope

willpope11@gmail.com (406) 599-4107
Old 16-09-2018, 14:00   #5

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychfeld View Post
Please Note: I am a fervent opponent of Trump and his administration. Even if you find favor with this president I will surely help you as if you were family in trouble at sea, however I would not prefer crew with such a wide difference of world views.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the hallmark of a civilized society is the ability to have respectful differences, be able to debate, to learn from each other. This narrow-minded attitude is exactly why we have the vitriolic divide in American society today. You are part of the problem, not part of the solution. Mind you, narrow-minded conservatives are as much part of the problem as liberals. Your mind is like a parachute, it only works when it’s open.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 16-09-2018, 14:00   #6

Boat: Pearson 323

Going to be a long trip since you obviously can only tolerate sailing a starboard tack
Old 16-09-2018, 14:05   #7

Boat: Lagoon 420

Snore: You misquote me - I said nothing about republicans. My preference is not about politics. It's about my preference for people who support and affirm lifelong racist, misogynistic, cheating, self-centered, cruel liars. Why? Because when it comes to who we affiliate with - if they do it with you, they'll do it to you. Wow that
Old 16-09-2018, 14:23   #8

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

I agree. Last thing I would want on a pleasure sail is a crew member that supports a horrible human being and what he is doing to this country. Choosing crew is important for any journey. Have a great sail!

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Old 16-09-2018, 14:36   #9

Boat: Pearson 34-II

So, Psychfeld, as a psychotherapist, how would you treat a patient that said he/she was having a problem relating to other people in their family, socially among their peers and in a workplace environment with co-workers and bosses that disagreed with him/her politically about their hatred for president Trump . . . that they were becoming increasingly isolated socially and that many of the people with whom they agreed politically were not people with whom they wanted a friendship. Would you classify this as a healthy mentality? Would you advise them to keep looking because surely they find other Trump haters that he/she could call friends? As a professional psychotherapist, what would be your response, Doctor, to this person in need? Rognvald
Old 16-09-2018, 14:43   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychfeld View Post

For the record skippy you only announce you opposition to the duly elected president.
And disinvite anyone with a differing view.

Wish you well—— especially since many of the folks who take charters (your future customers) have politics well right of yours.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 16-09-2018, 14:56   #11

Do hope you disclaim this staunch requirement when it comes time to charter.
Old 16-09-2018, 15:30   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

OK guys I have had to delete one post, there are others that are close to being not nice.
Whether you agree or not with someone’s politics, just let it be, they are entitled to their opinion, just as you are.
However please do not post on politics, one way or the other.
Old 16-09-2018, 17:11   #13

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

someone needs help asap
Old 16-09-2018, 17:14   #14

Boat: Lagoon 440

we all need help asap
Old 16-09-2018, 17:24   #15

I would hope that what we're all looking for in company for sailing and for leadership are decent and logical centrists...that would be the majority of presidents and people, on either side of the aisle...is that really so much to ask for? psychfeld didn't negate Republicans at all. As a western democrat, in other words a Kennedy Democrat, I don't count myself on the other side of the world from a Reagan Republican. The other side of the aisle, yes. But to be locked on a boat with a person highly enamored with the current placeholder could present conversational uncomfortableness or worse...I agree with psychfeld in being upfront and honest as to his own boat and good times on blue seas.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, florida, lagoon, lagoon 420, passage, Puerto Rico