Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2018, 03:34   #1

Boat: Irwin MK III 43ft
Western Caribbeans and El Nino

I figured asking here since asking in a normal Land Lubber site only got Me stupid, retarded, idiotic answer that has nothing to do with sailing LOL.

Knowing that El Nino affects sailing greatly in the Pacific. Does it still have some influence in The Caribbeans ? Especially western Caribbeans. I know some years have certain trait, but My memory is not has good as it used to be, and I fail to recall and associate year dates, patterns and El Nino.
Riggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 04:58   #2

Re: Western Caribbeans and El Nino

It affects the entire globe. The farther away from it you are, the less the effect. So, yes, it will affect the Caribbean, but not very much.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 05:04   #3

Yes I assumed it would have an effect. But the answers I am looking for is what kind of effect. more rain ? more wind ? more "northies" ? Does it affect the "trades" that kind of answers. The effects are easily searchable for the Pacific side, not so much for the Caribbeans.
Old 28-08-2018, 06:50   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

funny you talk el nino when the current off south america is cold, which generally presents with LA NINA cycle, and very strong. current is stronger than i have seen since 1973.
been watching weather longer than that.
el nino presents with hot water current.
the current changes end may. keep watching......

of course with everything else on planet backwards, may just be so, only nature knows, and she aint telling mets..hahahahaha

ocean is cold this year... check out wundergrounds sea temp charts....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 06:55   #5

I am not stupid. I know the difference between El Nino and El Nina. now, tell Me exactly how your comments answered My question. I had the same response in the land lubber universe.
Old 28-08-2018, 07:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggerman View Post
I am not stupid. I know the difference between El Nino and El Nina. now, tell Me exactly how your comments answered My question. I had the same response in the land lubber universe.

in el nino the ocean temps are hotter than la nina. if you choose to look at asea temp chart which is provided by wunderground, you can see this . more canes in el nino..see patricia. hotter water makes good strong canes.
now. sw coastal mexico has experienced only 1 named event, wimpy lil iliana went to land at manzanillo area, aka barra de navidad.
usually by now, letter a thru l leaves mexico with much rain. this year none.
la nina makes fire season in cali and west coast.
DROUGHT.
you see that, yes??? if not, open your eyes. higher temps on land and colder temps of oceans.
colder ocean temps give colder winters. hotter summers. is actually obvious to those who watch.
i noticed a pattern to cali weather back in 1973 so i thought i would figger it out. i did. miracle. enso cycling. currents off south america... ohmy...
good sailors know their weather. good on you to want to learn. is interesting stuff and has a definite pattern. watch trades in el nino--- weak and wimpy. la nina... also affect trades. used to be an issue, as sailing to south pacific was affected by doldrums not winds. now we have stronger engines and donot care what cycle is sailed.

oh i forgot. bc...fires by drought in summer and more intense and colder winter storms. there. specific to you.
east coast colder winters in la nina. europe more intense storms and cold winter hot summer. see pattern yet? that beastie current affects entire planet.
Old 28-08-2018, 07:21   #7

More of the same stuff. Bara de Navidad is west cost, South America is not western Caribbeans, BC fire is not western Caribbeans. I am strictly looking at WESTERN CARIBBEANS. Nothing else. Western Caribbeans includes Mexico, Belize, Honduras, Guatemala, and to some extents west Indies. I.E Cuba, Grand Cayman, Jamaica and the likes.
Old 28-08-2018, 07:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggerman View Post
More of the same stuff. Bara de Navidad is west cost, South America is not western Caribbeans, BC fire is not western Caribbeans. I am strictly looking at WESTERN CARIBBEANS. Nothing else.
then CHECK YOUR SEA TEMPS. you will see this year they are lower than normal. duh. i SAID oceans are colder. can you understand that?
ALL oceans are colder than usual. including those labelled seas.
canes are stronger in hot water, less so in colder water. duh.
you do no research??? and you call self a sailor??
a GOOD sailor KNOWS his weather. learn.
i even GAVE you the site to check for current sea temps. you were incapable of finding wunderground and seeing for yourself the colder temps your particular area carries this season.
might want to upgrade your alleged sailing skills by learning weather. that includes cyclic patterns carried by our great planet and nature.
cold water--drought and less intense storms with names. hot water, higher intensity named events in all areas.
weather is not a difficult subject unless you fail to realize the cycles are a semi regular occurrence. the pattern used to be every 4 yrs or so el nino.
no mas. is changing.
we have known cold current for 3 yrs. usually is only just after el nino, but nature is changing her ways. the currents change in end may.
as i reside in hurricane alley, i am aware of these changes. some are subtle some not so . drought from cold water off south america. drought is world wide, open eyes, you are not observant. hot summers cold winters and drought. fewer canes, partly for you due to sahara dust. the sahara, as are all other deserts, is increasing in size. bigger desert, more dust. more dust, fewer atlantic and caribbe canes. have known none for crossover of central america, either, which is usually seen at least once each season, but, wait. season not over until end november. season peaks in sept thru november 30. the colder water is able to be warmed by sun to a cane formation temp, which is above 28.2 centigrade. i see caribbean heating some. you may have your excitement yet.
btw--my maine coon mix cat has thicker fur on his paws and tail is fluffier. he is prepping for a tough northern winter, despite his physical presence in desert/tropics. i trust cat and that south american current.
have you yet found the wunderground sea temps graphics??? may want to study them so your exact issues are addressed. our sweet lil enso currents affect all the planets weather. sailors need to know this. even with engines in boats. enso strong--doldrums are windless. enso weak, makes a breeze possible in doldrums.
do research your sea temps and their relation on planetary weather patterns. is important iff you sail.
Old 28-08-2018, 08:18   #9

Boat: Morgan 382

All I can say is WOW. Are we having a bad day?
mud bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 08:19   #10

Read the subject. I was not asking about current temperature. If I can read, and I think I do. Might you I doubt you do. The subject read.

"Western Caribbeans and El Nino" not ElNina Thank you for your input. although it has nothing to do with the subject.
Old 28-08-2018, 08:20   #11

Boat: Baba 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
then CHECK YOUR SEA TEMPS. you will see this year they are lower than normal. duh. i SAID oceans are colder. can you understand that?
ALL oceans are colder than usual. including those labelled seas.
canes are stronger in hot water, less so in colder water. duh.
you do no research??? and you call self a sailor??
a GOOD sailor KNOWS his weather. learn.
i even GAVE you the site to check for current sea temps. you were incapable of finding wunderground and seeing for yourself the colder temps your particular area carries this season.
might want to upgrade your alleged sailing skills by learning weather. that includes cyclic patterns carried by our great planet and nature.
cold water--drought and less intense storms with names. hot water, higher intensity named events in all areas.
weather is not a difficult subject unless you fail to realize the cycles are a semi regular occurrence. the pattern used to be every 4 yrs or so el nino.
no mas. is changing.
we have known cold current for 3 yrs. usually is only just after el nino, but nature is changing her ways. the currents change in end may.
as i reside in hurricane alley, i am aware of these changes. some are subtle some not so . drought from cold water off south america. drought is world wide, open eyes, you are not observant. hot summers cold winters and drought. fewer canes, partly for you due to sahara dust. the sahara, as are all other deserts, is increasing in size. bigger desert, more dust. more dust, fewer atlantic and caribbe canes. have known none for crossover of central america, either, which is usually seen at least once each season, but, wait. season not over until end november. season peaks in sept thru november 30. the colder water is able to be warmed by sun to a cane formation temp, which is above 28.2 centigrade. i see caribbean heating some. you may have your excitement yet.
btw--my maine coon mix cat has thicker fur on his paws and tail is fluffier. he is prepping for a tough northern winter, despite his physical presence in desert/tropics. i trust cat and that south american current.
have you yet found the wunderground sea temps graphics??? may want to study them so your exact issues are addressed. our sweet lil enso currents affect all the planets weather. sailors need to know this. even with engines in boats. enso strong--doldrums are windless. enso weak, makes a breeze possible in doldrums.
do research your sea temps and their relation on planetary weather patterns. is important iff you sail.
Settle down, there, cowboy. Your tag line ends with “lived,” not “livid.”
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 09:17   #12

if you wish to discuss el nino, then wait for the el nino enso cycle. watch the patterns of earth's planetary interaction with hot current
el nino is hot current off south america. now is cold until may's end. our last el nino cycle was 2015 with hurricanes patricia and others of intensities of record.
el nino is a hot current which rises from the same location as cold current is actually
in place now.
the hot current brings wet winters with intense pnw storms on west coast and stronger named events during cane season in caribbean as well as west coast mex and west and so pac and indian ocean. effects last from may to may of any given years in which enso cycles exist as manifested by current off south america and weather patterns specific to each area.
and who is livid.. it seems fake interpretation of alleged feelings is a rampant and rabid issue these days of backwards thinking. the reality is that your inner feelings are being projected onto me and others. may want to check that issue within yourself.
objectivity is objectivity. when someone is unable to read without interpretation of own feelings projected onto the words being read, there is a fail in the education of that alleged reader, is there not?? wake up to your own fails.
learn your weather and then say you are a sailor.
livid?? make that LAUGHING. i laugh at the repetitive issues and inability to read without interpreting ones own feelings into a non feelings based issues. weather is not a feelings based aka subjective issue.it is objective issue.
Old 28-08-2018, 09:24   #13

So according to zeehag logic. wait until your engine blow up before learning about maintenance. By the way, I been sailing the world for 40 years, full time for the last 10. Trying to learn about future scenario is how a true sailor prevents disasters.
Old 28-08-2018, 09:54   #14

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Casamance 46

U come across as grumpy bro
verb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 11:10   #15

It's the internet. You do understand how this works, don't you? Because it kind of seems like you don't. You're going to get all kinds of answers. You can't dictate what people will post. Trying to is just pretty foolish. The more you demand that people answer questions the way you want them to, the more likely they are to go off topic.

Your original question was pretty general, and now you're getting pissy because people aren't giving you the very specific information that you want. Zeehag is trying to help. We all are. Chill out.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib