Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2018, 09:09   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450F
DIY vs Full Service marinas/yard

I tried to search but couldn't really find an answer. I'm bring my Lagoon cat to south Florida for some refit work. I'm expecting to keep the boat in a wet slip for a month. I have a mix of work, some of which I'm fine paying professional to do (like repairing gel coat damage and new bottom paint) and some of which I want to do myself (installing solar on the coach roof, replacing a fridge, etc). A number of marinas have been talked about in this forum but I'm not clear on the DIY part of the equation. I've seen some (actually very few) that advertise as DIY or self service and most talk about being full service. So my question is how much, if any work, can an owner do in a slip at a full service marina (someplace like Lauderdale Marine Center as an example)?

Thanks
dcareri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 09:28   #2

Re: DIY vs Full Service marinas/yard

Generally, in many marinas you can do what you want in the slip, as long as you aren't creating dust or a lot of noise etc, so no heavy sanding etc. Higher end marinas have more rules though. It sounds like you should just get the best slip you can find. Then you can take the boat to any boatyard for haulout and the work you want pro done. Beware that many boatyards require you buy the bottom paint from them at full retail.
Dont confuse marinas with boatyards. :>)
Lauderdale is on the most expensive side of things and there are other options at Ft Pierce and elsewhere.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 17:58   #3

Boat: Lagoon 450F

Thanks for the response and makes sense. Most marina's I've seen have yards too but I'll remember the difference
dcareri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 19:02   #4

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Never do in a marina that you can't absolutely do on anchor. There is no reason to pay a marina while you put solar on your coachroof or replacing your fridge. Its a HUGE waste of money. If you can dinghy to a marine store you can do it on the hook.

If you absolutely need to be on the hard to do work have your entire work plan and all your equipment and expendables purchased before you ever get lifted out. Start work the moment your boat is blocked. Expect them to begin the sanding of the bottom almost immediately... while you are piddling around they are charging you storage days even though it's their fault.

Here is a good article outlining marinas in south florida that can haul a catamaran:

https://www.allatsea.net/hauling-cat...orida-part-ii/
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas, service