Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2016, 04:09   #16

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Rod Vs Wire Rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt View Post
Because it is the original rigging (1991) and one lower shroud is already broken. It's long overdue for replacement

Using a local workshop, I have made a jury connection and welded the broken shroud rod to it. I have no choice but to do it this way and nurse the yacht to Cairns. (.......with heaps of dunny paper)

My thoughts are that wire is easily replaceable compared to rod. It will take a bit of engineering with spreader tips and mast tangs etc., but once it is done.......it's done! Comparable strength wire size will be a big factor on my final decision
Comparable strenght? you have Dyform if you dont want beefy thick diameters on wire, by the way Navtec have a conversion chart , and your Beneteau is fine with Wire, due to your location could be a good idea jury rig some dyna ropes here and there and move to a diferent location, and the rig its a 1991 OEM , pretty good, thats 25 years, now ask yourself if you want to keep the boat for another 25 years because with a fresh rod replacement plus fittings is ready for another bunch of years,,,
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:10   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Bolt, exactly what broke? I am a spar builder/rigger and am interested.
While I do not condone running around with 35 yr old rod, I have been involved in many rod inspections and decided it would not be required to replace at the time. Many factors in reaching that decision. Vessel history, installation issues, maintence program etc. One factor up in PNW is climate, the colder climate retards degradation.
Just replacing standing rigging because of age is not something I always personally agree with but certainly welcome it for my own personal liabilty. Its expensive.
So what actually broke and why? There is always a reason, it helps us all to gain a little more knowledge. Thanks for any info.
ce
groundtackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:20   #18

Boat: Beneteau, First 45F5

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
Bolt, exactly what broke? I am a spar builder/rigger and am interested.
While I do not condone running around with 35 yr old rod, I have been involved in many rod inspections and decided it would not be required to replace at the time. Many factors in reaching that decision. Vessel history, installation issues, maintence program etc. One factor up in PNW is climate, the colder climate retards degradation.
Just replacing standing rigging because of age is not something I always personally agree with but certainly welcome it for my own personal liabilty. Its expensive.
So what actually broke and why? There is always a reason, it helps us all to gain a little more knowledge. Thanks for any info.
ce
The rod broke just where it enters the turnbuckle. I cannot supply the history of the boat except from what I have been told is that it was built in Japan.
Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:24   #19

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Guess is the rod coldhead who fail, microcracks tend to appear in the head, and probably you have to change turnbuckles to if you switch to wire, probably are the Navtec type...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 14:42   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
^^^^^

Please read the whole post. The OP's in Lae, Papua New Guinea! He may well and truly not be able to have it shipped to him where he is.

Ann
Yes, thank you, I did read the entire thread, and I am familiar with the abbreviation "P.N.G.". That is precisely why I felt my anecdote was appropriate and helpful. I find that CF members are quite astute and savvy, and figured my message was obvious, but if it makes you feel better, I will offer this edit:

"It was going to cost over $200 to ship the package just a couple hundred miles across the state, can you imagine how much it would cost to ship it all the way to Papa New Guinea?!"
RidgeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:21   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Bolt, all good advise here. It's a pain to swap it over and re-engineering must be considered. I like rod for the correct application. No reason you cannot carry onboard an emergency get home kit to temp replace an individual wire. Like right now. Roll of synethics.
If changes have been made to the vessel since its original conception that must be also factored. Making her heavy or taking her somewhere she wasnt intended to go. Filling every locker, chosing the extra tall rig version and take her round the horn. Talk to your closest intended pro, get all the facts and give him yours.
ce
groundtackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:44   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
Yes, thank you, I did read the entire thread, and I am familiar with the abbreviation "P.N.G.". That is precisely why I felt my anecdote was appropriate and helpful. I find that CF members are quite astute and savvy, and figured my message was obvious, but if it makes you feel better, I will offer this edit:

"It was going to cost over $200 to ship the package just a couple hundred miles across the state, can you imagine how much it would cost to ship it all the way to Papa New Guinea?!"
Hey, Ridge Runner,

Sorry if you thought that was rudely aimed at you. It was not, really, I just get so frustrated by the people who don't bother to notice where someone is located, or what kind of boat they have, when the OP has gone to the effort to include that information.... It also gets my goat a bit that many posters don't include their general location and boat type with their avatars, it makes it so much more difficult to know what might be available to them, and it can vary considerably around the world.

Now, the OP is going to remove from Lae, and head for Cairns, Qld., and he will be able to do as he wishes there. Shipping is only time consuming, not impossible, into there, and there is good yachting support. Let's hope there are no cyclones for him.

Ann

Tags
beneteau, rigging