Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2014, 16:01   #61

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Re: Beneteau 38

I'll have to check out fastener designs used for components next time I am at a show but I suspect Benetau engineers made good choices for secure attachment under sail.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 19:30   #62

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
hmm... There's a reason looking for weather windows less than 15kn becoming so popular.
...and the testers from Norway said:" Surprisingly dry in rough sea.. felt safe and was easy to sail...a joy in a decent breeze" the ones from Germany said: "She took tougher conditions on her stride and under full control....." the ones from Austria said: "impressive sail performance in more than 20K winds" The French said: the powerful hull gives you a sense of safety when the wind gets up" and the British said: " under way, it was her performance in more boisterous conditions that drew the attention of the judges"

To say that the boat does not work well with winds over 15K I assume you have tested it? How does it went?
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 19:42   #63

God awful ugly. And the "European" galley is truly atrocious. And dangerous.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 20:30   #64

Beneteau 38

Ikea, handholds, square cornered (not really if you have been aboard) and non traditional design interior are the current crop of interior observations. We can toss out silly subjective stuff like fasteners on components that are under spec. Respecting all of that, this is a fresh design approach by a major production builder and it's holding my attention.

Beauty is in the eye of...
Old 19-03-2014, 20:32   #65

Polux, please share your sources! I would really like to read more on that. Thanks
Old 20-03-2014, 03:40   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
Polux, please share your sources! I would really like to read more on that. Thanks
You will be happy to know that besides that regarding the boat performance in rough weather what all judges said was very similar with this:"this is a fresh design approach by a major production builder and it's holding my attention."

I read it first on the German yacht.de, the German yacht magazine. I translated that and posted on the thread with the same name of my blog on sailnet. More recently (last number) Yachting world magazine made an article about all boats that where elected European boat of the year and published also those judge comments regarding all boats elected.
Old 20-03-2014, 06:35   #67

Thanks for further detail on sources!
Old 20-03-2014, 08:01   #68
CLOD

Boat: none

I don't really understand the point of all this. Why is some boat that you don't own so important to you? If you don't like the boat, don't get one!
Old 20-03-2014, 08:43   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I don't really understand the point of all this. Why is some boat that you don't own so important to you? If you don't like the boat, don't get one!
I assume it is because if the changes are too significant then their boats may lose value faster or will become more difficult to sell when the time comes. If all new boats adopt an "ikea", euro, sharp corners, light wood interior styling then their rounded, classic, dark wood interiors start to become less desirable.
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 09:03   #70

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostalli View Post
I assume it is because if the changes are too significant then their boats may lose value faster or will become more difficult to sell when the time comes. If all new boats adopt an "ikea", euro, sharp corners, light wood interior styling then their rounded, classic, dark wood interiors start to become less desirable.
I'm looking at boats and I'm actually worried about the opposite. The "ikea" style interiors might look dated and faddish in a few years when the next trend comes along. The classic look will always be acceptable.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 09:09   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
The classic look will always be acceptable.
Maybe for you now. But, the next style trend may be even further from the "classic look". The next generations of boat buyers will go to boat shows to see what they like and boat shows typically only have new boats.
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 09:17   #72

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Maybe for you now. But, the next style trend may be even further from the "classic look". The next generations of boat buyers will go to boat shows to see what they like and boat shows typically only have new boats.
Except for one thing. The "classic" look is still being built in a number of boats. The "modern" look seems to change every few years with the previously "modern" interior being decried as outdated and tacky.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 13:41   #73

Quote:
... dark wood interiors start to become less desirable.
Dark wood interiors are already less desirable whatever the style. Even the boats with more traditional customers abandoned the heavy mahogany look already some years back. More dark wood equals less reflected light and a more dark saloon. It is not only the wood but the light. Modern boasts have much more illuminated interiors.

Maybe just for truly classic boats, like the Fairlie or the Spirit and to their clients that is yet desirable but that is really a very small minority.
Old 20-03-2014, 13:56   #74

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Dark wood interiors are already less desirable whatever the style. Even the boats with more traditional customers abandoned the heavy mahogany look already some years back. More dark wood equals less reflected light and a more dark saloon. It is not only the wood but the light. Modern boasts have much more illuminated interiors.

Maybe just for truly classic boats, like the Fairlie or the Spirit and to their clients that is yet desirable but that is really a very small minority.
While I agree that darker wood makes the saloon darker, I disagree that it's a very small minority that likes it. I think boat owners have just as varied tastes as anyone else. Some prefer a darker more traditional interior and some prefer a lighter more modern look. All in taste.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 16:37   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
While I agree that darker wood makes the saloon darker, I disagree that it's a very small minority that likes it. I think boat owners have just as varied tastes as anyone else. Some prefer a darker more traditional interior and some prefer a lighter more modern look. All in taste.
Sorry it seems you misunderstood what I mean. Off course there will always be tastes for everything. When I talk about small minority I am talking in global terms. The boat market and what is offered now points to what customers like and want in general terms. It is not the builders and brands that makes the trends, they just try to offer what consumers want and like. Boat interiors are just following major taste trends that had already happened on home design and furniture years ago.

Even on very traditional brands like Halberg-Rassy (that have very conservative tastes) that still uses Mahogany (its the cheaper wood among the hardwoods) You can see that in only 5 or 6 years they too went for a more light interior.

Tags
beneteau