Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2014, 08:03   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 440
Marinas on Clear Lake, Texas

I was moored in GYB before I left to Mexico, but I'm headed back to Texas and want to be closer to family (since I doubt I'll be sailing the gulf much in the winter.)

I'm 45' LOA, 6.5' Draft, and 14' beam.

I'm leaning toward Seabrook Marina, but Waterford looks really nice, as does Kemah's boardwalk.

So, what are your opinions on marinas in clear lake? I'm also open to new suggestions.
JStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:09   #2

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle
Re: Marinas on Clear Lake, Texas

With a 6.5 foot draft, Seabrook or Blue Dolphin will be your best bet. IMHO Blue Dolphin is nicer and has better rates. I spent a year in that Marina with no problems and enjoyed floating all winter. The channel into Waterford and Watergate will be impassable at times during the winter and you may well be aground at times in the winter months depending on where you tie up.

Sent from my K013 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:09   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Seabrook shipyard, the boardwalk and blue dolphin are your only real options with that draft if you want to leave with hellacious north winds. If you don't mind waiting for the water to return you'll be afloat in watergate, but may not be able to leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 14:47   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 440

Excellent advice. I didn't even think about the pesky northers blowing all of the water out of the lake.

You guys rock.

Beers on me if you're still in town when I get back!
JStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 15:17   #5

Boat: Lafitte 44

Hell I have been aground INSIDE of Waterford during the winter. Boardwalk can be noisy. I lean towards Seabrook.
Old 08-11-2014, 16:18   #6

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeon_tsd View Post
Hell I have been aground INSIDE of Waterford during the winter. Boardwalk can be noisy. I lean towards Seabrook.
You should go to the Boardwalk on a Friday or Saturday to see if you like it, it is the weekend party place of choice for most of Houston and has all the traffic and crowds that go with it.
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:46   #7

We left the Boardwalk because it was too noisy to sleep. Blue or Seabrook are best choices with that draft.
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:26   #8

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

I'm almost the same size (slightly longer and less beam). C dock at Seabrook is very active with live-aboards, plus you can get out during a norther. We've been there over 2 years and we never feel as though anything will be out of place when we return to the boat.

Kemah is very active (read loud) during evenings and weekends.

If you're over 6' you're really pushing your luck w.r.t year-round access to and from the marinas on Clearlake proper.
Old 09-11-2014, 15:32   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrentp View Post
We left the Boardwalk because it was too noisy to sleep. Blue or Seabrook are best choices with that draft.

Getting to the boardwalk on weekends is trying too.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 19:07   #10

If you don't mind heading north a few more miles and paying a few extra bucks for the membership, the Houston Yacht Club may be worth looking into. I sailed in there a month or so ago off the Bay. I recorded 8- 8 1/2 ft of water all the way into the slips 'til about, oh, 100 ft from the bulkhead at the club lawn where it skinnies up a bit. It's right on the Bay so no need to worry about the different channels like those into Watergate, Waterford, etc., nor the long channel out to the #2. I hear the north winds in winter might leave some boats on their keels for a day or two, but those out closer to the breakwater are usually ok. Pappy
Pappy Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:35   #11

Seabrook Shipyard and Kemah Boardwalk have the ideal depth and location for you.

Kemah has lots of activities and restaurants (noise, crowds, traffic) and a pool and hot tub, gated entrance.

Seabrook has a very good gym, washers, and driers, and pool (closed for winter) and lots of bathrooms (even though would prefer closer to us). Outriggers is walking distance (across the wooden walkway). Everyone is very friendly and helpful here.

HYC is a great location if you want jump in the bay fast but must join the club, and Monday and Tuesday the restaurant is closed. No close place to walk or bike for food. No gym either.

Northerners only last a day or two. We have a shallow draft and still sit on the bottom when those northerners blow in. Best just to wait because at Kemah Channel marker 6 there is a hump in the channel especially at very low tide.
Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clear lake, marinas, texas