Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2019, 13:37   #1

Boat: Endeavour 37'
Painting over existing Kiwigrip

A year ago I applied Kiwigrip water based acrylic non skid to my boat decks. I'm really happy with the end result. This year I would like to refinish the non-kiwigrip areas on my deck. My initial thoughts were to simply abrade the smooth surfaces, then paint over the whole works (Kiwigrip & smooth surfaces) using a common single part topside paint. In speaking with both Interlux and Petit, both manufacturers state that no paint will adhere to the Kiwigrip. Has anyone attempted painting over Kiwigrip? What were your results and what product did you use? Any ideas for a paint that would adhere to Kiwigrip, or am I just going to have to paint around it? Thanks.
aaronroesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 13:49   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Re: Painting over existing Kiwigrip

I've gone back over white kiwi grip with white kiwi grip a year after the initial application. A few days in the sun and both applications matched each other. I'd just sand off that areas that wore or failed to adhere properly and paint with kiwi grip.
Old 30-09-2019, 15:13   #3

Boat: Fantasia 35

Would thinned Kiwi Grip (10% water) applied with a smooth roller or brush work?
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 15:59   #4

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

KiwiGrip say you can directly apply KiwiGrip on KiwiGrip.

Btw. For preparing slightly rough surfaces I learned something from a French guy, who is a painter by trade this summer.
I tried it on Lady Rovers aft deck before applying KiwiGrip.

He told me to wet wash, scrub, rinse & dry the deck with this before, basically it keys the surface enough up to allow paint to adhere well. Not sure if something similar exists in jour neck of the woods though.
In our case it worked pretty well!
Took about one hour to prep instead of several hours grinding off old antislip surfaces.

This is the stuff:

https://www.amazon.fr/St-Marc-Lessiv.../dp/B00JEZNABI
Old 30-09-2019, 16:27   #5

I've gone over KIWI grip on seats and cockpit floor with Interlux brightside. No problem so far.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 17:46   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine50 View Post
I've gone over KIWI grip on seats and cockpit floor with Interlux brightside. No problem so far.
We've done the same on all non-skid areas of our decks. A light sanding and two years later it still looks great. We are full time cruisers.
Old 30-09-2019, 17:47   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine50 View Post
We've done the same on all non-skid areas of our decks. Two years and it looks great. We are full time cruisers.
Old 30-09-2019, 17:57   #8

Boat: C&C 38

I put down kiwigrip a year or so ago. The difference in shades of white to non-textured areas didn’t look right to me and I decided I’d paint over everything later. Now I’m finding the small bubbles in the kiwi grip are filling with dirt and turning to algae. Much like my original problem with sanded texture where the sand rubs off. That’s tough to clean. I’m now painting over everything and so far I’m happy with the outcome. My current method started with brush on heavy, then smooth out with the kiwigrip roller. However, that roller is tough to clean when used with oil based paints ( I use Rustoleum Topside semi-gloss) and will complete the job and future applications by smoothing out brush marks with a 4” coarse nap roller instead. I’m not seeing or anticipating any issues and am happy with my result.

Ron
Mahaila is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint