Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2019, 23:58   #1

Boat: 1976 Alajuela 38 MK I
US Citizen Importing Australian built and registered vessel

Hi All,
There is a homemade steel cutter on the hard in Carriacou I am interested in. The boat was built in 1997 by the current and original owner. She currently registered in Australia and applicable taxes are paid and up to date. The owner is in Carriacou as well.

Any boat I get I want to ultimately get USCG documented. As result I would want any sale to documented in such a way as to make that as easy as possible.

What would be steps involved in buying and importing the boat into the US?

I know I need a bill of sale. Does it matter which "form" I use? I saw one on the USCG site.

I think the engine is orginal (circa 1997). If that is the case, would any engine of that age be exempt from EPA certification? What model year (and earlier years) is grandfathered in with regard to Clean Air?

Should I get a customs broker?

Is it a good idea to get a US or Carriacouian(?) broker involved to make sure all the t's are corssed and i's dotted?

Are there any other fees involve other than duty, sales tax, documentation fees and brokers' fee?

How complex is getting a boat like this documented?
gallatin1988 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, import