Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2014, 19:10   #1

Boat: Tanzer 27
Jeanneau 45 Sun Odyssey or 45 Deck Salon

Hello All,

In keeping with trend on the forum lately... I'll put a question out there for response from those more seasoned than me...

I'm stuck between two boats. A 2008 Deck Salon vs a 2006 Sun Odyssey. The SO is less expensive and at my local marina... While the 2008 is in Florida (I'm in NY)... The deck salon is clearly the nicer of the two but the distance to retrieve it and the additional cost in buying the boat to begin with make my pragmatic side lean towards the sun odyssey that's docked 1000 feet from my current mooring...

Can anyone offer any personal preferences, experiences etc for each boat ? I'm a coastal cruiser guy not looking to go live aboard... Im planning on having myself, the admiral, my father and my daughter on most cruises so a three cabin/2 head layout is really all I'm starting with... And I happen to like the Jeanneau line... If anyone can offer up a different suggestion for a boat I'm open to that as well.

Thanks again ahead of time for all your input

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-06-2014, 21:00   #2

Boat: Tanzer 27
Re: Jeanneau 45 Sun Odyssey or 45 Deck Salon

Going once ?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-07-2014, 02:54   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Well I will jump in and maybe start some dialog.

You know what boat you want it just happens to be far away. For me these two boats look the same in terms of utility and so on. It would boil down to condition for me.

I would but the better boat, if I could afford it, and sail it myself to NYC.

Have you seen the Florida boat in person? If it isn't clearly a head and shoulders above better boat and worth the extra price the one 1,000 feet away is certainly the easy decision.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:11   #4

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I sail a 2007 40.3 Sun Fast - which is a Sun Odyssey with a performance cruising set-up. The hull and interior is exactly the same as an Odyssey.

At 45 feet, the one you're looking at is bigger than my 40. I've found the Jeanneau to be a well-made and tough boat. My neighbor has a 45 sun Odyssey deck salon.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I like the looks of the Odyssey better than the DS. In terms of interior space, I don't really think there is all that much difference - more windows and therefore more light in the DS.

If you're only going coastal - Check to see what size inverter . Make sure the electric anchor winch is a big size. Same goes for the bow thruster.

In docking, you'll probably find the Odyssey is easier to control than the DS, particualrly when there are heavy cross winds.

The one next door is easier to get a really good survey done on and you should be able to get a couple of sea trial in - ask the owner to take you out in both nice and heavy weather. It will let you get a "feel" for the boat.

carsten

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:56   #5

You know which boat you want, you are just looking to others to make the decision for you perhaps?

Here's a story for you...

When I was 10 years old my parents brought me to our local bike shop to get a new bike. In the end I had a choice between two bikes. One I could ride out on right there and then; the other I had to wait a week to get it.
I rode out that day on a new bike.
After that first week I realized had I waited, I would be riding the bike I really wanted. Every time I rode my bike I remembered I made the choice of instant gratification and not a measured long term view.
I take that lesson with me in life to this day.

Be true to yourself. You will know the answer and in a year from now, every time you step on your yacht you can be happy with your choice and harbour no regrets.

Never trade luck for skill.

Safe voyages.
Mach.80 to 8Kts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, jeanneau, salon