Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2014, 07:43   #31

Re: My first boat ... a Jeanneau 50?

I am very appreciative for ALL input from everyone. Some of you may judge me for what I'm about to say, but that's ok. I was going to sell all my toys and go 'all in' for the boat. It would have been a BIG mistake. I attended the Colgate's Offshore Sailing school in Florida two weeks ago, and I LOVED IT. I have signed up for more courses. I was solo with the instructor on the Colgate 26 and it WHIPPED me good. The temp never made it about 63, it rained off and on all morning, and rained solid in the afternoon. All of the emergency procedures, different points of sail, etc, paddled my bottom PROPER. With that being said heeling 30-40 degrees dipping the rail, bow diving into the water splashing spray into my face, wind at my back with rain, heck, for a minute I felt like Skip Novak. I said to my instructor, "There is no place on earth I'd rather be right now." He probably thought I was a nut job, but I loved it. I am as committed as ever, but I have decided to do a few things differently. While I am not afraid of the water, I am AFRAID of what I don't know, and my friends that's PLENTY. I am a worst case scenario kind of guy, i.e. complete electrical failure, batteries dead, no sight of land kind of guy. I am familiar with dead reckoning, but I plan on taking the Offshore Sailing School's Celestial Navigation course. I'm as off the streets as you can get, and I feel they helped me tremendously. I'm going to buy a 40-50 foot boat, just not a new boat. So far I've been looking at mid 90's Beneteaus, Jeanneaus, Hunters, in the 50-100 range. There are some REALLY nice boats out there under 80, which can be negotiated down a bit I'm certain. I can have seat foam redone, and leather added. A genset, heating/cooling are a MUST as I plan on entertaining friends. I plan on setting aside $400/month as my rainy day fund annually, and will roll it over until I'm ready for something different or bigger. I don't know enough about boat avionics, or electrics just yet. I can maintain a diesel, or generator with my eyes closed, but I know nothing of a boat transmission, or boat appliances, but they can't be too hard. I plan on coastal sailing for several years hoping around the great lakes, islands, gulf coast, up to Alaska before I make my first crossing. I have a history of going all in ... I may or may not rent my home while I'm playing, or just have a family member live here. The used market is excellent so I feel I can get a lot of boat for the money. New would have been a mistake. I see that now, but maybe one day when I'm in my 60's or 70's, I will elect to go new. I am HOOKED. I thank everyone for the input. I can go on forever, so I'll end it here. Everyone have a great day.

Joe
Southerncowboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 11:09   #32

Boat: Dawson / Pro Cat

All sounds like a good plan to me there is no substitute for time on the water. I see people all the time buying a boat that they whant or can afford but........ cant handle. As for a Caption License you must have 360 days of sea time minimum just for a six pack and just because you hold that doesn't mean you can handle a bad situation. Good luck and be safe!
shane malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 13:16   #33

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Excellent, Joe,

Sounds like a reasonable plan. Also, seems like you have many of the necessary mechanical skills. You can learn to sail in a day, but with luck and perseverance, you'll still be improving after years and years.

Ann
Old 20-02-2014, 13:17   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane malone View Post
All sounds like a good plan to me there is no substitute for time on the water. I see people all the time buying a boat that they whant or can afford but........ cant handle. As for a Caption License you must have 360 days of sea time minimum just for a six pack and just because you hold that doesn't mean you can handle a bad situation. Good luck and be safe!

I guess I am just a license junky, for bragging rites amongst my friends. The two year clock on the Coast Guard license started this month. I really just want to sail, but why not take it all the way? I hope to be on the water a minimum of eight days a month, but I'm keeping the boat in Florida as I live in Ga.
Southerncowboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 19:17   #35

Boat: Boatless
Good luck. Sounds like you have a plan. Might I make a suggestion. Sounds like you have your heart set on a 40'-50' boat. However a member of these forums just finished a pretty extensive refutation on a 38' Island Packet that is simply stunning. It is listed at Whiteaker Yachts in Jacksonville. Ceal Potts is the member here.
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 19:42   #36

Boat: Island Packet 27

38' Island Packet... Now that's a sweet ride!
Captaintim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 19:47   #37

Sorry...40'-50' is just way way too big while going solo with your level of experience. Yes on a good day in good conditions my mom could handle that size. But if you decide to go with that length, you will get in trouble, you will get scared, and you will get hurt or worse, or make it through but then become afraid of the boat or afraid to take it out. I'm not sure if you understand what it's like to get caught in 40 or 50 knot winds ... before you decided to reef.
Old 25-02-2014, 20:39   #38

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaintim1 View Post
Sorry...40'-50' is just way way too big while going solo with your level of experience. Yes on a good day in good conditions my mom could handle that size. But if you decide to go with that length, you will get in trouble, you will get scared, and you will get hurt or worse, or make it through but then become afraid of the boat or afraid to take it out. I'm not sure if you understand what it's like to get caught in 40 or 50 knot winds ... before you decided to reef.
I would not underestimate OP's ability. He flies Jet for living and can afford a 50' yacht. He is no dummy. I am sure he will seek out and learn what he needs. Often some people here make it such big deal sailing a boat. Anyone who has taken High School AP Physics should have no problem of picking up sailing.

Some people need to learn from small to big. Some can just learn from the big boat and be done. Basic sailing and storm tactic are not so complicated to learn, understand and carry out.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 20:41   #39

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaintim1 View Post
38' Island Packet... Now that's a sweet ride!
When I look at IP, it reminds me of the polyester of the 70's.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 20:47   #40

I'm not underestimating him at all. But no experience and jumping straight to a 50' boat is a bit much. What is the draft or mast height on a boat like that? He's going to be sailing around Florida. I don't like the ICW either, but it's nice to have the ability to come inside if the weather gets bad. I've just seen too many folks with the money to buy big, but when they get out and get in trouble they end up not sailing.
Old 25-02-2014, 20:51   #41

Also I agree with you that people here often make sailing a lot harder than it is. I'm one of those folks who bought my first sailboat, moved aboard and set sail...which was the first time I had ever been on a sailboat. I just know had I started of with a 50' boat instead of a 24' boat I would have got into a lot of trouble.
Old 25-02-2014, 21:58   #42

I started with a 60 ft boat... Made out alright. Still learning. It's all about taking your time and not exceeding your skill level.

Sent from my XT1030 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 03:47   #43

Boat: Boatless
I hate autocorrect!!!! I meant to say re-fit, not refutation. I honestly have no idea what that means. CaptainTim, take a peek at the IP that Ceal and Kevin finished. It is absolutely gorgeous. I agree that the OP flying big iron would transition well into sailing.
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 04:40   #44

Boat: Nautor Swan57rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerncowboyz View Post
I am very appreciative for ALL input from everyone. Some of you may judge me for what I'm about to say, but that's ok. I was going to sell all my toys and go 'all in' for the boat. It would have been a BIG mistake. I attended the Colgate's Offshore Sailing school in Florida two weeks ago, and I LOVED IT. I have signed up for more courses. I was solo with the instructor on the Colgate 26 and it WHIPPED me good. The temp never made it about 63, it rained off and on all morning, and rained solid in the afternoon. All of the emergency procedures, different points of sail, etc, paddled my bottom PROPER. With that being said heeling 30-40 degrees dipping the rail, bow diving into the water splashing spray into my face, wind at my back with rain, heck, for a minute I felt like Skip Novak. I said to my instructor, "There is no place on earth I'd rather be right now." He probably thought I was a nut job, but I loved it. I am as committed as ever, but I have decided to do a few things differently. While I am not afraid of the water, I am AFRAID of what I don't know, and my friends that's PLENTY. I am a worst case scenario kind of guy, i.e. complete electrical failure, batteries dead, no sight of land kind of guy. I am familiar with dead reckoning, but I plan on taking the Offshore Sailing School's Celestial Navigation course. I'm as off the streets as you can get, and I feel they helped me tremendously. I'm going to buy a 40-50 foot boat, just not a new boat. So far I've been looking at mid 90's Beneteaus, Jeanneaus, Hunters, in the 50-100 range. There are some REALLY nice boats out there under 80, which can be negotiated down a bit I'm certain. I can have seat foam redone, and leather added. A genset, heating/cooling are a MUST as I plan on entertaining friends. I plan on setting aside $400/month as my rainy day fund annually, and will roll it over until I'm ready for something different or bigger. I don't know enough about boat avionics, or electrics just yet. I can maintain a diesel, or generator with my eyes closed, but I know nothing of a boat transmission, or boat appliances, but they can't be too hard. I plan on coastal sailing for several years hoping around the great lakes, islands, gulf coast, up to Alaska before I make my first crossing. I have a history of going all in ... I may or may not rent my home while I'm playing, or just have a family member live here. The used market is excellent so I feel I can get a lot of boat for the money. New would have been a mistake. I see that now, but maybe one day when I'm in my 60's or 70's, I will elect to go new. I am HOOKED. I thank everyone for the input. I can go on forever, so I'll end it here. Everyone have a great day.

Joe
Good luck with your plan. Lots of good advice here. Three years ago I bought my very first boat Bene 47.7 First. I have had lots of fun with it and we are now trading her in for Swan 57rs. I have had couple of curly situations sailing short handed and not reefing early. Naturally bigger boats are harder work, like taking your genoa or main sail off and putting it back in…. they weigh a ton. When you are out there sailing my 48 footer seems quite small. Number one thing is to learn how to manoeuvre and dock the boat. Your Jeanneu 50 like my 47.7 First reverse extremely well.
All the best
sepeteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 04:46   #45

I have known a number of airplane pilot/sailors in my life and always found it somewhat surprising that they were at best mediocre sailors, even then ones who really tried. I never have flown with any of them, so can't comment there.

Maybe this isn't very remarkable as probably most people in general are mediocre at whatever they do. Or, maybe it is because they jump right into keelboats and skip the getting their feet wet part?

Without doubt the best sailors I have ever met all started out sailing/racing dinghies. I have yet to encounter someone I would consider to be a great sailor who started out in a fifty footer and doubt I ever will.

Of course you don't have to be a great sailor to go sailing, but once you witness an experienced commercial airline pilot crash into a dock on a windless day, you might think twice about who you want to go flying with.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeanneau