Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2019, 14:09   #1

Boat: Beneteau 331
Simple Navigation and Weather Station

We are just going to dip our toe into the cruising world. We will be mostly hopping from town to town along the Lake Michigan coast. We may be out into the lake 5-10 miles, depending.

The boat has an older garmin system that doesn't lock onto radar and its not mounted at the wheel.

The current owner says he just uses his phone and Navitronics. That's fine since he's 35 and can actually see his phone.

What all do you recommend for navigation and weather given what we plan to do.

Thank you,

Tysen
Tmacmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 17:42   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Simple Navigation and Weather Station

Listen to the NOAA marine weather forecasts on the VHF weather channels. NOAA is where ALL the other weather forecasters get their data. For navigation, you are not likely to be moving so fast that one of you can't take the wheel while the other goes below to take a look at the GPS screen. Having some charts and looking them over before you get there would be useful, too. Radar is great in fog, storms, or the dark; situations you probably want to avoid. What is a GPS system that “locks onto” radar, and what does it do?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:41   #3

Boat: Beneteau 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Listen to the NOAA marine weather forecasts on the VHF weather channels. NOAA is where ALL the other weather forecasters get their data. For navigation, you are not likely to be moving so fast that one of you can't take the wheel while the other goes below to take a look at the GPS screen. Having some charts and looking them over before you get there would be useful, too. Radar is great in fog, storms, or the dark; situations you probably want to avoid. What is a GPS system that “locks onto” radar, and what does it do?
I misspoke. The GPS system no longer locks on to satellites.

So far I have been using my phone with the Navionics App, Weather.com, and Windfinder.

I want to move away from using my phone because of its size. I'm considering just getting an IPad and using that. I was startled that my phone almost shut down because of over heating. I wonder if the IPad is also at risk of that.
Tmacmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:05   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

For just day sails, you could check the weather before leaving then monitor WX channels on VHF. And/or upgrade to tablet.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 18:02   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmacmi View Post
I misspoke. The GPS system no longer locks on to satellites.

So far I have been using my phone with the Navionics App, Weather.com, and Windfinder.

I want to move away from using my phone because of its size. I'm considering just getting an IPad and using that. I was startled that my phone almost shut down because of over heating. I wonder if the IPad is also at risk of that.
So you’re saying that the GPS doesn’t work, since it has to lock onto satellites in order to work. This could be caused by a problem with the antenna. It could be in a poor location for reception, or it could be poorly connected (or NOT connected!)to the unit. It could be a $5.00 (or less) fix, or, depending upon what’s wrong with it, it could cost more to fix than to buy a new one. You will have to find that out for yourself.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 18:40   #6

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

If you have a tablet with gps you could down load “I Nav X” it’s cheap enough and makes a for a useful chart plotter, that’s what we used when we started doing longer trips day long and longer in Long Island, Fishers Islands, and Block island sounds. NOAA, windy, and sail flow are a few of the weather apps we use, there are more to choose from. That and as said above a VHF radio and a few charts.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation, weather