Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2010, 12:42   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 42
Cheoy Lee Clipper 42 - Offshore Passages - Feedback Anyone ?

I am doing a little work on a 1977 Cheoy Lee Clipper to get her ready for a Virginia to Bermuda trip. then a Bermuda to BVI trip, then some extended cruising. I would love to hear from other Clipper owners who have done some passagemaking and their opinons, and their thoughts on the Clippers offshore abillities.
ChrisClipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 10:00   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Wakuu Send a message via Skype™ to Wakuu
Re: Cheoy Lee Clipper 42 - Offshore Passages - Feedback Anyone ?

I have not made a blue water transit, but when I took delivery of my Clipper 42, I sailed it from Oceanside, CA to San Diego, CA in a 10' swell with a 4-5 wind wave, so occasionally we went over 15' waves. Because of the course, we were taking seas on the quarter for most of the trip, so it was a fairly quiet crew. I had taken the engine out for a complete overhaul so we did this without power other than what was in the batteries when we left. The winds were 15-20 with the occasional gust to 30 or a little more. Now that I've set the scene, let me tell you how she did.....we did not ship any water into the cockpit and only took spray twice. This was on a broad reach with four sails flying. Now before anyone jumps me about safety, my tow membership was up to date, we had all the appropriate gear on board and had a SPOT with us that I borrowed from a friend. It was also the end of the month and they had already leased out the space, so I had to get her moved. It took about 10 hours from dock to dock and the conditions were just right for us to sail up to the courtesy dock in San Diego. In that regard we were lucky, but I did have a friend with a powerboat standing by to assist. I am currently working on outfitting my boat so that when I retire, I can sail the world in it. I've set a date and a goal. I have NO qualms about going out in blue water in this boat. One other note...original sails, original spars. Well made boat. please keep in touch, I'm very interested to know how it goes for you. Regards, Jason
Wakuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 10:27   #3

Thanks for the info.
After pulling all the paperwork off Marisol II we know she did the Bahamas quite often, in fact just came back from sailing the outer islands and had a chance to talk to a couple of locals that remember her berthed there. She is now back on the hard for her hull paint, new cutlass bearings etc. Then I have to get the electrics in order. Unfortunatly our time line for our Bermuda BVI loop has been put back severly so I will have plenty of time to get her ready and take her on some serious shake out sails before that trip.
The main reason I asked the question is that she has all the lines of an absolutly excellent offshore cruiser yet I have heard few stories of their offshore travels.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:16   #4
sld

Chris Clipper
I believe you are speaking of my father's boat. He passed away in 2008 and his beloved Marisol II was sold. I am happy she is still loved and used.
I am not a sailor, but spent many hours on the Chesapeake and days in the Bahamas on her.
He sailed her back and forth from the Chesapeake to the warm south for over 25 years, many of them on the waterway. He often left her at Man O' War key for the winter.
I believe she went to Cancun and maybe to Dominican Republic.
I was aboard in the Virgin Islands once, I believe between St John's and St Thomas. There was some heavy weather - everyone but the captain was seasick. It was exciting exhilarating. She is a very dry boat.
I know my father did the Bermuda Race once in Marisol I, a Clipper 36. On the way back there was a terrific surprise storm and we didn't hear from him for several days. It was July 1975. When we heard from him, he said several boats were lost. He was at the wheel all through the storm and had tied all the line on board to tow behind. He said the troughs were as high as the mast.
But the boat came through without a problem. I believe he wrote an article about it for Yachting.
The he subsequently ordered Marisol II - i believe with some special hull design by a famous hull designer. He wanted more space and a better kitchen.
I know he and his buddy, in a similar boat, did some offshore solo trips together where they took turns being on watch.
He was a fine sailor and an excellent navigator. And up until the end could slip that boat right into the tightest dock spaces without a problem. He really loved Marisol and his sailing and always did the highest quality upgrades and repairs.
I hope she brings you the same satisfaction and happy sailing.
sld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 06:12   #5

Sid,
Great to hear from you!!! Yes she was the Marisol II and still has the Cheoy Lee plaque with your father’s name on the bulk head, with your permission we would like to keep it there. We sailed her up to Solomon Island to keep working on her this summer and spent a couple of days in 30 plus with gusts over 40 knots close hauled on the Chesapeake which she handled well with virtually no spray onto the deck even with the notorious short chop.
We can tell by people we have talked to, here and in the Abaco’s, that she was well looked after. Unfortunately last few years were not kind to her but we are slowly working on fixing her up piece by piece with the hopes that we can get her fully back to her former glory.
If you are ever in area when we are there we would be very happy for you to see her and maybe tell us a few stories about her trips and your father – over a cold beer on a warm deck.

Chris.
Old 16-07-2012, 07:29   #6

Boat: 23' plus 2' added

Years ago,our first real boat was a 1969, 36 Clipper. Study vessel that had some quirks. Very soft metal used in critical areas. Rudder shaft snapped, creating some excitment as we were transiting under a bascule bridge. Teak decks were difficult.
In certain seas, she would hobby horse, which was correctable by falling off, unless you were trying to make a destination.
She was built like a tank in most regards.
Enjoy her!
js
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cheoyleeladyliberty (Small).JPG
Views:	632
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	43491  
seaojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 00:33   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to watson1990

When I lived on Mt Desert island off the coast of Maine I met a new friend.Jean Claude ..I don't remember his last name as this was 2003 and i am getting older now.
He has a Cheoy lee "passage" that he has single handed over from france,,,a retired dentist.. had to leave her here, hired a mate to watch her at the dock over the winter ...he almost lost her as the chap didn't do quite what was expected of him.
Anyway ,the C.L passage 42 went over to france and again over and back ..all single handed ..WE sat in her cabin with a bottle of simgle malt and he speaking french with a wee bit of english amd me speaking english with 3 years of high school french.. we managed to finish off the bottle , he and his wife and me and my wife,, I managed to buy the bolts for his self sterring from a local after buying the bolts and showing them to him and him saying "no too petitie.." I would go back to the chandleery and come back and he said 'Oui but more long "
Eventually we got him all set and he headed back too france happy ,new friends and i look forward to meeting him in St Martin next year !
does it get much better ?
watson1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 23:05   #8
sld

Glad to hear Marisol II is loved and still sailing. She is really a beautiful boat.
Of course you may keep the plaque with my dad's name on it.
Did you search for the Yachting article he wrote about the hurricane?
Let me know if you need any more info on her - hull designer, dates things were changed (metal mast, engine stuff) I have a contact that may be able to help. The people at Solomon's probably also remember a lot about her history.
Happy sailing.
Old 31-08-2012, 06:40   #9

We will be back back onboard in a couple of weeks to do more repair work on her in hope of having her ready to sail the Islands this winter. I will definatly stop by Zannisters and ask around about her. I didn't see the article he wrote but if you have a link or a copy I certainly would be interested.
Old 31-08-2012, 06:51   #10

This pic was from a couple of months ago when we moved her up the Chesapeake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	domina.JPG
Views:	4884
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	45834  
Old 02-01-2017, 16:10   #11

Chris and Sid,
I just found this string on here. I made several passages on Marisoll II between Solomons and Abacos as delivery crew. A lot of great sailing and fond memories of the Colonel and his wife. Marisol is a classic beauty. Hope she is still doing well.
Bruce Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 11:20   #12

Is anyone still visiting this thread?

I made several coastal and offshore passages as crew and mate with Cranford -- the original owner of Marisol II.

I learned a lot from Cranford and have many, many great memories of passages in and out of the Bahamas and the Dominican Republic.

I would greatly appreciate any updates on the current exploits of Marisol II. Has she been renamed?

As to seaworthiness, the absolute roughest passage I have ever made was aboard Marisol II traveling from Man-o-war Cay to Savannah. On the morning of our second day offshore, a unforecasted tropical low decided to significantly strengthen into a tropical depression and eventually into a tropical storm when it moved offshore from the US.

With the fetch the waves grew to 12 to 15 feet and the wind indicated on the masthead anemometer bounced between 40 to 50 knots with some gusts higher. We changed destination to Charleston to take the waves bow on and made about 2 knots under power and bare poles as we alternated climbing and then plunging faces of waves.

There was never so much as a shutter from the boat over the almost 36 hours of pounding it took to gain some relief from the lee of the US coast. Only the owner and I stayed on deck -- two other crew took refuge below decks. We took a lot of wind-driven spray but never any breaking waves. I thought I was going to die, but Cranford was calm and steady as a rock which gave me even greater confidence in his skills and fortitude -- he had been a bomber and fighter pilot in the Marine Corps which probably contributed to that.

We made Charleston late at night and I have a very humorous story that goes with that part of the trip but this post is too long to read already.
Rick Hartt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2024, 20:10   #13
sld

hi, rick
this is susan, cranford's daughter

i enjoyed your description of the man-0-war to charleston passage
i don't doubt he remained calm
i'd be interested in the "humorous story" you omitted (if it's printable)

i have recently found a copy of his cruising log thru the hurricane of bermuda in 1975 (marisol 1) - harrowing
maybe you were on that trip?
it was sent to yachting magazine i think, so i could send it to you if you're interested, tho i'm not sure how to do that
after that passage he ordered marisol 2, hull by bill luders
our family spent a lot of happy hours on Marisol 2
a classic boat and a classic man
Old 27-03-2024, 12:40   #14

Susan --

Thank for replying to my post. I had a flood of great memories while and after reading it. To this day, I still miss your father and probably always will. He was a terrific friend, great mentor, innovative problem-solver, and outstanding sailor. I still tell Cranford stories when amongst sailing buddies.

My first trip on Marisol II wasn't until the Fall of 1980, so I didn't experience the return trip from Bermuda, but did hear some of the harrowing stories.

The humorous follow-up to our passage from Man-o-War to Savannah/Charleston took place after we had docked for the night. As we navigated the harbor entrance, another sailboat fell in behind us after appearing to be idling some distance off as we approached and then passed the vessel. Once docked, the owner of the other vessel came up to Cranford to thank him profusely for coming by when he did.

The other boat had also experienced a portion of the storm that we just spent 36 hours transiting. The owner was, as were we, intending to make Savannah, was desperate to get into Charleston instead, but did NOT have a detailed enough chart, so he loitered until we came along then followed us to the dock.

After repeatedly expressing his thanks, Cranford simply looked at him without the faintest hint of a smile and deadpanned "You're welcome -- that's also the first time I've ever been into Savannah at night." I thought the other owner was going to pass out from shock.
Rick Hartt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheoy lee