Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2017, 21:42   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40 DS
Survey Tips: 1999 Jeanneau 40 DS

I am in the process of purchasing a 1999 Jeanneau 40 DS, and have a survey and sea trial scheduled for next week. Is there anyone with experience with Jeanneaus in general, and this model specifically, who can offer any insight on particular areas that I should pay attention to during the survey? Are there any issues common to this model/era that I should be aware of? Any input is appreciated.

Thus far I have sailed a Ranger 33, a Hunter 376, and a C&C 29, and I learn something new with each experience and each boat.
PhoenixRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 22:16   #2

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 43
Re: Survey Tips: 1999 Jeanneau 40 DS

I have a 2004 43 DS...so not sure how pertinent the response is... take good look at keel, bolts, etc. Keel will be iron if made in France. DS plexiglass salon windows tend to craze, mainly cosmetic...a boat that old likely has a lot of aftermarket upgrades and changes by now, so a lot depends on what it has for options. The standard items are of course very important regardless of the make/model such as standing rigging and engine. A lot of older boats have had owners do their own electrical work which can be troublesome and a typical surveyor does not survey the electrical system for ABYC compliance, if at all. Not sure of the 40, but my 43 still has the integrated stringers which provide excellent stiffness. Never hear a creek or groan beating hard to wind. Best of luck.
camel2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:52   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Survey Tips: 1999 Jeanneau 40 DS

Here is a site for Jeanneau owners and they are pretty good and will give you good advise

Home | Jeanneau Owners Network Forum

We have a DS40 that was built 2001 launched 2003 and have had surveys about every 5 years for insurance purposes and they do a general one - I would take a good look at the DS windows - we have had to refit ours after 10 years of hard use - not that expensive but a bit of time consuming - took us about 5 days with the help of the yard - and now good for another 10 years we hope - also when was the last time the dripless shaft bearing was replaced as they last about 6-8 years or we had one that lasted just 4 - if shoal draft take a look at the keel/hull interface and see if it has been redone - not sure what else - of course really take a hard look at what the owner fitted and make sure it is up to snuff
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeanneau, survey