Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2016, 09:43   #1

Sail Area/Displacement Ratio

Hi all

I would like to have feedback from people who own a "slow" sailboat (meaning only numerically speaking)like Hallber Rassy 41, Formosa 36/42 Ketch, Choy lee 39 (i remember there is a user here) and newer heavy cruiser with a low sail area/displacement ratio (meaning 15-16- max 17).

How fast does it sails in 7 -8 kts true wind? (like the average mediterranean wind in coastal water)
Let's say wind from 40-90-140-180 degree

As my experience i only sailed a motorsailer (8 knots true wind from 30dgr, 1,5 kts) but i can't find the SA/D number, a 57 fast cruiser with 30 SA/D, a Gib sea 33 that is 17, and i must admit that i tested it, only with me and another person, all empty, with8/ 10 kts and gust up to 35 kts, but it was absolulty "fast" meaning 7 kts with the wind from all the direction (except from stern that did about 5 kts)...but what a hell of a fast boat!

I don't know if this boat heavy loaded for cruise, with 4 guest, all loaded like the hell would have been so fast too or it should have loos a 20-30% of performance...

Thanks all

Stefano
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 08:30   #2

Re: Sail Area/Displacement Ratio

Anyone can't give a little feedback of how fast is his "heavy" serious cruiser?
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
displacement, men, sail