Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2017, 08:34   #31

Boat: Rafiki 37
Generator yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I'll put it simply and of course half the people who read this will be pissed off despite me stating the obvious truth... so here goes with unfiltered the un-PC.

Cruising with a generator is like living in a small apartment with all the modern conveniences possible including watermakers, a/c, electric appliances, refrigeration etc.

Cruising without a generator = camping.

Note: Even Mike has a generator.

Wow [emoji3]! Does this mean I'm no longer "camping" in your eyes???

Like I and others have said, it comes down to amps in vs amps out. Even Ken agrees, solar is king. So get a good solar system matched to an adequate battery bank as a first step. Then, if you really need more, look to wind or dino gens.

As to what you need, well, only you can say. I have told you what I need to be very comfortable in my floating home. But we're all different, with different needs based on our different backgrounds. If you've lived a five-star lifestyle on shore it's unlikely you'll be happy with less while a float. You'll need 'more' of everything than those of us who have never had a lot.

Forty five days now with only two hours on the 1000 watt Yamaha generator. I don't use it a lot, but I do like having it. It's the ultimate battery charging backup. Plus, it's handy for running ac tools while in more out of the way places.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:58   #32

Boat: C&C Landfall 38
Re: Generator yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac9365 View Post
What model washer dryer do you have? We are thinking of installing one...thank you
Splendide, it's a washer drier combo, I just wash with it then hang dry, normally.....
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:04   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
Splendide, it's a washer drier combo, I just wash with it then hang dry, normally.....
If you don't mind me asking I see they have a vented one or non-vented one do you know the model of the the unit you have
jmac9365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 14:21   #34

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I'll put it simply and of course half the people who read this will be pissed off despite me stating the obvious truth... so here goes with unfiltered the un-PC.

Cruising with a generator is like living in a small apartment with all the modern conveniences possible including watermakers, a/c, electric appliances, refrigeration etc.

Cruising without a generator = camping.

Note: Even Mike has a generator.
Ahh, now I see: for Ken, "camping" is a Winnebago, plugged in at a KOA site. Explains his attitude to some degree.

His idea of "obvious truth" must use a different definition than mine.

The OP was wondering if a gen set was necessary for cruising. It ain't. It may be that the OP decides that for him, it is a worthwhile addition, and that's fine. It is also fine for Ken to 'need" one for his comfort and convenience. If one's goal in cruising is to emulate life in a small apartment , the gennie will sure help achieve that end.

As someone mentioned upthread, perhaps part time cruisers perceive cruising as an extension of their land based life, and thus feel that loss of any of the normal land based luxuries is privation. Long term cruisers, folks who have adapted to permanent life aboard have a different point of view and find contentment without all the bells and whistles of shore life. Where the OP fits into this spectrum is as yet unknown, at least to me.

There, that is my version of obvious truth.

Jim
Old 09-08-2017, 14:45   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
The answer will depend on your energy budget. How many amp will you need vs what will you produce via solar and wind. It's certainly possible to avoid the need for a generator, but it all depends on your set up. >>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
This is THE basic MOST IMPORTANT bit of information you NEED to answer the question. Everything else everyone else has said is very valuable in terms of their experiences and choices.

You re buying a big new boat and asking basic questions, which are well and good and good on you for asking.

That said, you might want to take a look at a concurrent thread called Forum Content.

Some homework and research are in order for you IN ADDITION to this and other boating forums.

This might help:
Electrical Systems 101 Electrical Systems 101

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 17:13   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
What tripped my desire for a generator was air conditioning at times, not full time, but when you sitting below sweat dripping off your nose because you have to be closed up do to weather or bugs, air conditioning is nice to have.
To me this is the ultimate argument for a generator. I've spent a few of those nights and would have traded my left thumb for air conditioning. A couple of times it was so bad I pulled anchor in the middle of the night and motored (no wind) offshore for the night.

Wasn't often, maybe 5-10 nights per year in a few years cruising the Bahamas and Caribbean but if for nothing else those few days would be worth it.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 18:30   #37

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac9365 View Post
If you don't mind me asking I see they have a vented one or non-vented one do you know the model of the the unit you have

The vent is for the drier, I don't use it but can pop it out the port in the head when at the dock and using the drier......I wouldn't the mount the vent permanently for use a couple of hours a week........
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 19:53   #38

Solar is a KING, 12 V and generator for intermittent usage.
Do not use DC-AC inverter continuously; it is a strong RFI source (radio frequency interference) and health hazard, cancer.
I never understood BS why people use wind generators, very low efficiency, noisy, bulky, works only during “hurricane”, what’s a point?
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 23:11   #39

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Do not use DC-AC inverter continuously; it is a strong RFI source (radio frequency interference) and health hazard, cancer.
Another of the truly amazing things you can learn on CF. Fantastic... in several senses.

Jim
Old 12-10-2017, 23:32   #40

Boat: Custom 55

I don't see the need for a generator at all, honestly. We've got a pretty well equipped boat on the domestic side, fridge, freezer, watermaker, lots of lights and fans.

I've never felt the need. I think that money on solar is better spent. Maybe also one of those new Watt&Sea hydrogenerators too.

From my point of view, if you need air conditioning, that's a great reason for a genset. Otherwise, not really that necessary.

But, perhaps I'm camping and don't know it.

Just one dude's view.

TJ
Old 12-10-2017, 23:54   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
I don't see the need for a generator at all, honestly. We've got a pretty well equipped boat on the domestic side, fridge, freezer, watermaker, lots of lights and fans.

I've never felt the need. I think that money on solar is better spent. Maybe also one of those new Watt&Sea hydrogenerators too.

From my point of view, if you need air conditioning, that's a great reason for a genset. Otherwise, not really that necessary.

But, perhaps I'm camping and don't know it.

Just one dude's view.

TJ
TJ, where did you mount your solar panels? I couldnt find a place on my boat not involving unacceptable windage.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 00:03   #42

We've got 380w right now-2 flexible velcroed/zippered down on the bimini, and 2 rigid on either side of the hard dodger. You can probably find a picture on the website if you poke around a little.

The hard dodger will always be there, so those panels will too, but if we're really expecting a wind event, it's a quick thing to get the panels off the bimini if we need to get it stowed. I've never taken the bimini down, though. I think that I'd just do it for a big storm. Or, maybe if I was planning a long upwind passage.

I'm planning to stick another 200w of walk-on panels on the dodger sometime soon, which will put us near 600w. What we have now is insufficient for our domestic load-we're still running the engine (with large case alternator/external regulation, of course)

TJ
Old 13-10-2017, 00:11   #43
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
TJ, where did you mount your solar panels? I couldnt find a place on my boat not involving unacceptable windage.
On a cruising boat you'll find a way, won't add much more windage compared to all the other stuff your average cruising boat will have on deck.

Makes such a difference having batteries charged most days automatically when you never go near shore power.

And another vote for a Honda genny, must be almost indestructible and so handy for running power tools in the anchorage or run the mains charger if the sun don't shine for a few days.

Wasn't there an arc report a year or so back with diesel generators top of the list of "things wot broke"?
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 00:14   #44

And, unlike you, we really detest sailing to weather and will wait for quite a while for a favorable wind and then scoot to our next destination (happy wife, happy life-Jenny WAY prefers reaching, me too), so windage isn't as big of an issue for us.

But, just the same, I allow ZERO gear to be on deck. If it can't be stowed below, or in the garage-it ain't coming!
Old 13-10-2017, 00:19   #45
cruiser

We motor into weather which charges the batteries, and use solar when off the wind to charge. The generator now only gets used to heat water when in anchorages and to put in lots of amps quickly on days of high power usage and cloudy days.

Dockhead,

Don't you have a Bimini to mount the solar onto? If you can attach a photo of your boat, maybe some of us could come up with some solar ideas for you. Solbian even has some deck mount, non-skid models.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, generator