Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2015, 10:56   #46

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Catalina 27 11 hp diesel will go how fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I don't think he was a troll Cadence. I just felt that the above poster did not understand the position a small inexperienced boat puts some of our professionals in. Maybe my response was too harsh. Got to go sailing more....
I did offer to let the OP go over the Bar in my boat- that offer still stands.
It's good the CG has those 47 MLBs.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 11:35   #47

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

The OP has two posts so far. With all the criticism by the forum I wonder if he'll return.
Old 24-05-2015, 11:56   #48

Boat: Schucker 436 motorsailor

So am I going to have the same problems with my universal 5424?
sailalibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 12:08   #49

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

I believe the 5424 has a heat exchanger. My 5411 issues are most likely due to the salt water being pushed through the cooling passages (I.e. Raw water cooling). So, you should not have similar issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 20:36   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
The OP has two posts so far. With all the criticism by the forum I wonder if he'll return.
You are probably right John. What would you have me do? If somebody asks you about the rollers on the north shore in the winter, do you tell him that it's OK to go out with a ski doo they had just bought?
I would prefer someone be offended at me than not warning them of the danger.
Then again, if they think I am just a jerk they are not going to listen anyway.
Perplexing problem.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 07:51   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
John,

I went back and read the OP's two posts. I really don't think he deserves the criticism. It sounded like a legit. request for info. and if someone said it was a crazy idea, it sounded as if he would weigh that.
Old 26-05-2015, 11:43   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailalibi View Post
So am I going to have the same problems with my universal 5424?
The Magic 8 Ball says "chances are good"
Old 26-05-2015, 11:53   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
You are probably right John. What would you have me do? If somebody asks you about the rollers on the north shore in the winter, do you tell him that it's OK to go out with a ski doo they had just bought?
I would prefer someone be offended at me than not warning them of the danger.
Then again, if they think I am just a jerk they are not going to listen anyway.
Perplexing problem.
My understanding is that the key to crossing bars safely is to avoid conditions where waves start breaking. (this is given that the boat is seaworthy)

It is not practical for most of us to have a boat that can safely negotiate 20 ft breaking waves. That would require a more than 60 ft boat, and that's just to avoid capsize. To avoid any chance that crew could be swept overboard, or that the vessel would suffer structural damage, well you'd need a navy destroyer. Not very practical, is it?

So let's talk about what is practical. To make sure the boat is seaworthy and reliable. To have the appropriate safety gear. Most importantly, how to avoid breaking waves?

Do your research into the best times to cross the bar. Avoid doing it on days where there is a high sea state, as it is that sea state that can start breaking.

The major problem with S/V Beth's advice is that it seems to suggest that the best way to cross the bar, is to do so at any time with an enormous boat, while the practical approach is to make sure that the conditions are suitable for the boat you have.
Old 26-05-2015, 13:13   #54

Boat: Newport 28 II

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
My understanding is that the key to crossing bars safely is to avoid conditions where waves start breaking. (this is given that the boat is seaworthy)

It is not practical for most of us to have a boat that can safely negotiate 20 ft breaking waves. That would require a more than 60 ft boat, and that's just to avoid capsize. To avoid any chance that crew could be swept overboard, or that the vessel would suffer structural damage, well you'd need a navy destroyer. Not very practical, is it?

So let's talk about what is practical. To make sure the boat is seaworthy and reliable. To have the appropriate safety gear. Most importantly, how to avoid breaking waves?

Do your research into the best times to cross the bar. Avoid doing it on days where there is a high sea state, as it is that sea state that can start breaking.

The major problem with S/V Beth's advice is that it seems to suggest that the best way to cross the bar, is to do so at any time with an enormous boat, while the practical approach is to make sure that the conditions are suitable for the boat you have.
I agree with you on this
Well stated!
tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 13:30   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyh View Post
I agree with you on this
Well stated!
Old 26-05-2015, 14:01   #56

S/V Beth,

Look at what George Calkins did. It isn't size. His little Bar Tender did great.
Old 26-05-2015, 16:14   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Great advice guys. Come on up. I will buy you a kings dinner after you cross the bar and come in to the marina. And all of your favorite beverage.

I am not going to apologize for the bar, or what I have said about it. It is the way it is.

I have a 40 foot cruiser that crosses the bar often.

I am going to apologize for the way I said my comments. I do feel you need a larger boat to cross it safely in conditions that seem to come up quickly, but being dismayed at people's dreams and hypercritical does not help anyone.

The local skinny is that no one I know at the marina takes his boat of less than 30 feet across the bar and then travels to another harbor. There are fishing boats that are smaller than that, they fish for salmon and return quickly if things deteriorate. I was truly trying to share local knowledge.

I will leave it where it is.
Old 26-05-2015, 16:25   #58

What's so hard?

It's the weather, stupid!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 16:28   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
My understanding is that the key to crossing bars safely is to avoid conditions where waves start breaking.
I reread Mark's comments, and I could not agree more. I am sorry I gave the impression that you could cross the bar anytime with a large enough boat. There were times this winter when the freighters did not come in due to 60 foot breaking waves. No, what I thought I said was- get a seaworthy vessel that can handle the average conditions here, have proper experience on board and cross the bar at the right time.

I don't see why people are averse to having a practical size limit. I will not take Beth in the Bering sea, or to Antarctica. The limit of a Catalina 27 foot boat would probably be smaller. I don't see what is so offensive about that. But I don't see everything.
Old 26-05-2015, 16:36   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

What's so hard?

It's the weather, stupid!
LOL, yes indeed!

Tags
catalina, diesel