Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2013, 16:35   #1

Boat: temporarily boatless...
input: '87 Cabo Rico 38

Hi all: been looking for a new (old) boat for a while. Seen a lot of nice boats, even a few I could afford. Today, I was absolutely SMITTEN by a CR38, vintage 1987. Can't stop thinking about it, the only boat that struck me this way. I have only one concern: the sleeping arrangements are absolutely appalling! There is only one cabin (forward), and the V berth is not even a full V, but instead has one of the aft corners cut out to allow for a step up. I'm 6' and 220lbs (100 Kg, or for you Aussies, 14 stone 10!), and I consume your average V berth in its entirety. There is a quarter berth aft, with barely enough vertical foot room for my size 11 feet to clear the underside of the cockpit (although it's more than long enough). The settee is narrow but useable for a smaller person (when not under way), and the bench for the dining area is too small for anyone older than 10. I'm a little worried that it'll be really cramped with more than one person aboard. I was wondering what other folks who own or have sailed extensively on this boat thought about the sleeping capacity, especially if you're my size. Thanks for your help. Best, Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 17:50   #2

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32
Re: input: '87 Cabo Rico 38

We have have an '87 Cabo Rico 38 with that exact layout. My wife and I sleep comfortably in the V berth. I'm 6' 200 Lb and my wife is a slim 5'8". We're pretty happy with the layout. The cutout on the port side actually makes getting in and out of the V-berth quite a bit easier, especially for the person on the starboard side. You are giving up some space because of the separate shower, but the shower should be really useful for storage and as a wet locker for passages (in addition to being a shower once you get there). Hope it helps.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 18:35   #3

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: input: '87 Cabo Rico 38

We also have the same layout and vintage.

I am 5 foot 9 and 270.... so... to put this into perspective...

Unlike Saltyhog, my wife and I sleep in two different berths. She gets the large v berth and I get the quarter berth. It works well for us because she doesn't have to listen to my snoring and I am a particularly light sleeper until the sun is about to come up, so any movement wakes me up. Also, its easier for me to pop out to the cockpit for a look around when I hear something funny. Which, 99.9% of the time is nothing.

The quarter berth is quite comfy; its a lot larger than it appears when only one is sleeping in it. We put new foam mattresses in and I now sleep about 1000 times better than on our expensive land mattress.

I have slept on the settee and it could stand to be an additional 3 or 4 inches wider, I agree with you on that. For super skinny folks or kids its just fine.

The table seating is actually quite roomy. As I sit here typing I have a good 6 or 7 inches between me and the table. My wife and I sit next to each other quite easily when we sit for dinner.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabo rico