Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2017, 09:51   #1

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Cruising Guides and Charts for Canada

Hi guys (and gals),

We'll be sailing up to Canada and I'm looking for a Crusing guide to New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island and New Foundland ( I have one for Nova Scotia) or a cruising guide for the whole area.

I also need to find a set of paper charts for that area I'd like find a set like the Maptech series or just loose charts

so - I've googled but can't find any - anybody have some titles or a good place to buy?

thanks in advance

carsten

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:31   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Cruising Guides and Charts for Canada

I just ordered a bunch of CHS Sailing Directions guides for our run down the St. Lawrence and over to NFLD. There are guides for your area as well:

Marine and Boat CHS Publications - Sailing Directions in Canada

Not sure about chart books. Buying all the individual charts can sure add up. Canada is not as enlightened as our American friends on this where NOAA just gives the charts away.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:36   #3

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Sigh.. This is where I'm embarrased by Canada.. They have "privatized" the distribution of our charts. However, the price is stupid expensive. You can find a dealer here.

CHS - Find a dealer

Digital charts can be puchased here.. Hold on to your hat, they are very spendy.
CHS - ENC CD collections

Frankly I think us Canadians should band together and lobby the current government to make these free like the USA does.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 19:26   #4

Boat: Heritage 35

Hi Carstemp. Look up Puffin Press for Cruising guide to Newfoundland and also Labrador. Both very good for anchorages and out of the way spots. What is your projected route and time? If crossing from Greenland head down the Labrador coast. Lots and lots of wild anchorages. Just you and Bears and Caribou. Can also be very foggy. You will sail by the strand mentioned in the Sagas. Cross over to Newfoundland and visit Lans aux meadows the viking site. Paper charts are horrendous in cost. I would just get the large scale and then use open cpn and ge2 kap for anchorages etc. A lot of the coast is uncharted and only a line of soundings to guide you. Don't stray off them unless you have a foreward looking sonar. Send me a pm if I can help further. Have been around NF twice and down the Labrador to Cape Chidley.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:20   #5

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinka1 View Post
Hi Carstemp. Look up Puffin Press for Cruising guide to Newfoundland and also Labrador. Both very good for anchorages and out of the way spots. What is your projected route and time? If crossing from Greenland head down the Labrador coast. Lots and lots of wild anchorages. Just you and Bears and Caribou. Can also be very foggy. You will sail by the strand mentioned in the Sagas. Cross over to Newfoundland and visit Lans aux meadows the viking site. Paper charts are horrendous in cost. I would just get the large scale and then use open cpn and ge2 kap for anchorages etc. A lot of the coast is uncharted and only a line of soundings to guide you. Don't stray off them unless you have a foreward looking sonar. Send me a pm if I can help further. Have been around NF twice and down the Labrador to Cape Chidley.
we'll be coming from the south an since the summer is relatively short we only expect to explore New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince EDward Island and some of New ´foundland.

I'll check out Puffin presss and thanks all for the help

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 05:00   #6

One has to purchase the canadian charts...so be it. Gut how does one do this? Since 1Jan2017 the CHS does not do the CD's anymore...and you can download them from somewhere on the CHS site. The only thing I can figure is you have to buy a code from a private distributor before downloading? The CHS website does not explain how to buy and download the digital charts.

Also, with OpenCPN...use ENC or RNC?

Help me understand, please?
Eric
ewzachmann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, charts, cruising, cruising guides