Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2014, 07:03   #1

Crew for leisurely Ionian Cruise

Hello everyone.

I'm looking for 2 crew (either gender) for a leisurely cruise round the Ionian in western Greece at the end of August through to the end of September 2014. Initially I would suggest 2 weeks but I'm flexible re times and dates My boat is an Amel 54 (for details I suggest you log on to Youtube and search Amel 54) and she's based in Preveza, Greece, at Cleopatra Marine.

I spend about four months each year on my boat - 2 in the spring and roughly 2 months in late summer. If this works out then there is every possibility of regular future trips. I am a retired 63 year old male ex investment manager and would prefer crew of a more mature vintage, like myself ! I'd also prefer some sailing experience but this is not esential as I can, and do, single hand the boat. More important is enthusiasm and compatibility. To that end I would very much like to meet first, or at the very least have a few Skype calls. Spending time on a boat with strangers is not easy and the more we check each other out beforehand, the less likely there will be any tensions.

I am London, UK based so UK based applicants would be easier to hook up with. I can be reached on Cruisers Forum or via email at tonywrobinson at hotmail.com

Tony Robinson
Old 24-06-2014, 18:37   #2

Re: Crew for leisurely Ionian Cruise

Hi Tony,

I am writing you from New Orleans but I am headed to Europe next month. Belgium first but somewhere around late July I should be in Brittany. I was online this evening to see if anyone would be sailing around that area when I saw your post. Favorite words: leisurely, Ionian,mature vintage, enthusiasm. Have no idea if this will work out but did want to say hello. I just got my ASA qualifications in basic and cruising, so I know just enough to know I don't know much.
Cheers, and happy sailing!
Old 24-06-2014, 19:15   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Hi Tony,
This sounds like a nice break for us from the Typhoon Season here in the Philippines.

Have yacht of similar length and my long time girlfriend and I enjoy cruising different places.

Would you prefer to discuss details of arrangement by pm/email or on this thread?
Old 25-06-2014, 00:25   #4

Hi Calends,

I'm not sure western Greece is all that convenient for Brittany, but I'm more than happy to start a conversation. Are you on your own ? Perhaps you could tell me a bit about yourself - probably better to do it to my private e-mail address. Also, what are your preferred cruising dates ? I won't be back on my boat until mid/late August, as I mentioned.

Let's talk for a bit and then maybe organise a Skype call. By the way, I used to live and work in Chicago - I know your home country well :-)

Regards, Tony.
Old 25-06-2014, 00:29   #5

Hello Pelagic,

Yes, I'm more than happy to start a conversation and yes, probably best to do it via my private e-mail address, as per my original post. Look forward to hearing from you !

Regards, Tony.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:18   #6

Hello Tony,
I am a young 69 year old physically fit (bionic knees) woman wanting to get back on the water. I am a widow who enjoyed 26 years of being first mate to my captain. I miss sailing....I have also sailed on many trips with our friends who owned the Dream Merchant, a 70 foot schooner. We sailed the Greek Islands, from Cyprus to Port Said, Egypt and on down the Red Sea to Hurghada in addition to many trips throughout the caribbean. My husband and I chartered boats, mainly off New England and the Caribbean. We never owned our own as we did not want to sail the same water on a regular basis.
Although I am unable to sail this summer, I am interested in sailing another time.
I will be in Great Britain the month of October visiting a friend in Oxfordshire. Boca Raton, Florida is my home now.
If you are interested in what experience I have to offer, contact me.
Iris
Old 12-07-2014, 08:48   #7

Hello Iris,

Many thanks for responding to my ad. Unfortunately I am now fixed with crew for this coming cruise.

Best regards, Tony.
Old 14-07-2014, 02:24   #8

Boat: Hunter 216

Hi Tony

I'm interested in joining you, though it cant be this voyage. I'm in Sydney, semi=retired at 61. A former CEO of the Financial Review (Australian business newspaper) and for many years a business journalist in Australia, Europe, the US and Asia. I have had some time in Greece and Italy when younger and have travelled quite a lot over the years.
My partner gets seasick and I'm a keen sailor, so I'm looking at some options to get in some fun and experience solo.
I have a day boat (Hunter 216) that I sail on Jervis Bay. I've sailed quite a few boats on Sydney Harbour and Port Phillip Bay - mainly Sydney 36. I have done a delivery from Hobart to Sydney and skipped a charter in both the Whitsundays (Beneteau 46) and Croatia (Jeanneau 54DS). Headed for Tahiti this year (hence the timing issue.) I've RYA Day Skipper and Navigation (basic).
All up, I have been a recreational sailor lucky to share a few boats with very good racing crew from time to time. I have managed to skipper boats in easy waters without any trouble. And in general I have spent a lot of time on the water in my life, having started out as a surfer. I am PADI open water qualified.
I like cooking, enjoy a good wine over dinner and a beer with friends. Generally, I would say I'm low maintenance if a little quiet. (I'm pretty happy to read or simply enjoy the sea and sky.) I like rugby, AFL, films, non-fiction books and most music and theatre.
Sadly short of mechanical skills, I'm quite willing to pitch in as directed.
Just thought I'd get in touch to see if there are options ahead.

Kind regards

Michael Gill
Old 14-07-2014, 23:51   #9

Hello Michael,

Thanks for responding. I was in the finance business myself before retirement so we probably have a lot to chat about !

I'm all crewed up for this forthcoming trip, but I'm more than happy to keep you mind for future trips. Why don't you let me have your private e-mail address (mine is in my original post above) and we'll start a converstaion, perhaps a Skype call. I may well be in Sydney myself early next year visiting my partner's daughter - so it's possible we may get to meet in person.

Best wishes, Tony Robinson

Tags
crew, cruise, ionian