Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2008, 08:43   #1

Boat: Morgan Heritage 36 1977
Question Morgan Heritage 36 specification's

Hi, This is my first time posting and I hope I'm doing it right!

I'm looking for the Specifications for my 1977 Heritage 36 Sailboat that I just bought. It needs a little boat work but is a beauty.

It has the 54ft. stick with a 5'11" Keel.

It needs new sails and few other things.
But does anyone know where I can get the spec's?

Thanks Capt. Jimmy
Panama City Fl.
jpsailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 10:23   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus
Capt

Not sure if this will help, but you could try to search Yachtworld.com to look at the specs of same model, same year boats. Also check out various sailmakers sites to find info on sail dimensions. Cruisingdirect might be one that has a database.

Google can be very good.

If you are serious about new sails, contact the sailmaker you want to work with (I have found Super Sailmakers in Miami or FLL very good to work with) and see if they have your boat in their database. They probably do.

When I got a new mainsail for my Hood 38, I went with SuperSailmakers in FL. Worked with them by email 100%. I already had the specs for the sail, but they sent a set of specs. Theirs compared to mine 100%. Sail fit great.

There is also a Morgan owners group and likely one for your specific boat. Google to find them, or someone else can help.

Hope this help

best

John
Old 28-12-2008, 10:31   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Cruising Direct is now North Sails Direct Welcome to NORTH SAILS Direct...!
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 20:00   #4

Re: Morgan Heritage 36 specification's

Her is a really good site full of information Home Page.

I'm looking at a 36 to sail to the Caribbean, but not sure if a centerboard rig would be good for open ocean sailing.
Retired-Coastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 09:04   #5

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

I'm guessing this thread is long-dead but i figured i'd post anyway. Here is a link to the specs for the Heritage West Indies 36:

WEST INDIES 36 (MORGAN) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Here is a link to the owners website, which includes specs. as well as a host of other info on these boats.

Home Page

I have one - the full-keel version as opposed to the centreboard version - and it has served me well so far from florida to bermuda, throughout the Caribbean and back. I will soon be embarking on a circumnavigation. She handled some very rough weather superbly on the way down to the islands in late December. If anyone has anyone has any specific quesitons send me a message and i can probably answer them. I've pretty-much taken my boat completely to pieces and put it back together again, and i'm pretty sure (fingers crossed) that i've discovered all of the quirks and features, including both the desirable ones and the not-so-desirable ones!
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 09:09   #6

Oh, and i don't see a problem with going to sea in a centreboard boat, particularly one that has a decent lead keel that the board pops out of such as the WI36. I think the draft is 4'10" with the board up. Putting it down, from what i've heard, really allows them to carve up to windward but the bulk of the stability and righting moment is in the fixed portion of the keel (and the buoyancy of the rather wide hull). Mine draws 5'4" and has no board (but another 1,000lbs of ballast i think). Not so weatherly, but then i've never much liked going upwind anyway....................
Old 01-12-2014, 02:32   #7

Boat: Morgan Heritage 36 1977

I love my heritage 36.8 , it has the Perkins 4108 42 hp. It's really a300,000 dollar boat if you bought it today. My question is regarding the keel bolts and corrosion/ electrolicess. Spelling. What do I have tho do to ensure that my keel won't fall off? My friend replaced 8 thruhulls within shut offs 8 months ago and last week the boat sank at the dock. A new west marine brass/bronz 1.5 in thruhulls had erroded. Funny 30 years no problem. Put new thruhulls in and in 8 months the boat sinks! Electrolicess is a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Captain Jimmy
jpsailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:37   #8

You'd have to be pretty unlucky to have the keel fall off. It's bolted very nicely into steel plates that are then welded to transverse steel stringers that bolt onto the wooden ones. It's also encapsulated in fibreglass and glassed into the hull. You could remove all of the keel bolts and it would probably still not go anywhere. However, if you're worried about keel bolt corrosion (galvanic or otherwise) take a good look at the keel bolts by backing off the nuts one at a time. You can do this in the water. Just back off one nut so you can see the bolt properly where it comes through the bottom of the boat. If it's good, tighten it back up again and move on to the next one.

One of the problem i did have was with mast step corrosion. It's a problem that other WI36 owners have also reported (i think you have the same boat yes?). The aluminium mast sits on an aluminium plate which is then bolted onto a mild steel I-beam using stainless bolts. The aluminium mast step plate can corrode very quickly indeed, but in my case thankfully took the brunt of the damage before i fixed it permanently.

Sounds to me like your friend had a serious electrical leak perhaps, and had wired each of his through-hulls into the negative ground? Whatever the cause, what you've described is very rare, especially in such a short period of time.

Tags
morgan